Camden East End: Multifamily At 6300 Gulf Fwy.

The East Enders here know about the slow, steady demolition of an old ratty motel on Gulf Frwy near Griggs and Brays Bayou. I didn't know what would happen with the property, and my fiancee figured that it was maybe an expansion of the cemetery but, lo and behold, a new Camden sign was posted and a construction trailer is on site. Anyone know about this?

The East Enders here know about the slow, steady demolition of an old ratty motel on Gulf Frwy near Griggs and Brays Bayou. I didn't know what would happen with the property, and my fiancee figured that it was maybe an expansion of the cemetery but, lo and behold, a new Camden sign was posted and a construction trailer is on site. Anyone know about this?

For preservationists that aren't familiar with the recent goings-on in the area, just know that this is NOT the former HoJo's (the one with the office that has a pointy octagonal orange roof, the Happy Days Lounge, and a Zen Garden).

It is just south of the bayou, next to the massive mound of fill dirt from the cemetery. Only about 1.8 acres. Unless they've acquired more land than just the old motel, it's hard to imagine what they might have in mind. If they took all the land to the corner, then they'd have full and permanent control of their neighbors. It would be just them, the cemetery and its dirt mound, I-45, and Griggs Rd.

this are supposed to be a SRO apartments done by new hope housing. they've completed units next to the original ninfa's and also have built a couple near minute maid.

ANOTHER SRO? Talk about buzzkill. I didn't know Camden participated in those. Oh well, at least it will look better than what's there already.

maybe camden donated some services. not sure. yeah i know some of the hoods were against it but if they run this like the others, this will be an improvement.

• 2 months later...

Good to know what is happening with that area/structural wrecks. I can not imagine that they could strip those buildings down, let them sit for months and months exposed to the elements and then expect to rebuild them into habitable housing at least at a reasonable cost. The framing at least to me looks terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if some Jacky Childs lawyer and a homeless individual take the city to court and win big $$$ due to shoddy construction or mold.

I wish they would just tear the rest of them apart and start over from scratch.

Scharpe St Guy

Good to know what is happening with that area/structural wrecks. I can not imagine that they could strip those buildings down, let them sit for months and months exposed to the elements and then expect to rebuild them into habitable housing at least at a reasonable cost. The framing at least to me looks terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if some Jacky Childs lawyer and a homeless individual take the city to court and win big $$$ due to shoddy construction or mold.

I wish they would just tear the rest of them apart and start over from scratch.

Scharpe St Guy

I wouldn't worry about the mold issue. Bactericide and fire retardant can go a long way towards increasing the safety of a building, and its a heck of a lot more effective than is feasible on many renovation jobs. The important thing, it would seem, is ensuring adequate structural strength of the old materials.

Personally, though, I agree that it probably would've been best (and certainly in hindsight) to tear down and rebuild. Framing with new materials won't break the bank, but utilizing an obsolete site plan that doesn't optimize for density sure can.

• The title was changed to Camden East End: Multifamily For EaDo
  • The title was changed to Camden East End: Multifamily At 6300 Gulf Fwy.

Archived