• 10 months later...
  • 9 years later...
  • The title was changed to Philip Johnson Interview
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve honestly grown to dislike him more and more every year.  His designs for Pennzoil, Transco and Republic Bank are iconic, and he certainly added some interesting buildings in other cities, but as a person he seems to be classic bespectacled-cape-wearing smarter/more enlightened-than-thou-architect.

16 hours ago, arche_757 said:

I’ve honestly grown to dislike him more and more every year.  His designs for Pennzoil, Transco and Republic Bank are iconic, and he certainly added some interesting buildings in other cities, but as a person he seems to be classic bespectacled-cape-wearing smarter/more enlightened-than-thou-architect.

Do you find that most architects are humble and unassuming?

On 1/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, arche_757 said:

Most that I’ve encountered.  There are exceptions.  Why?  What is your observation of architects?

I didn't see your response the other day. I have not met enough architects to have a really educated opinion. Johnson's personality does seem to be the trend for other superstar architects. Frank Lloyd Wright, for instance. 

What I like about Johnson is his passion. He travelled to see every important new building, especially in the early days of modernism (20's-30's). He was once asked in an interview, "How did you know you were an architect?", and he described visiting Chartres cathedral and the Parthenon at age 13 and being hit with overwhelming emotion, to the point where he was bawling, just sobbing. I like someone who can experience that and reveal it about themselves. Makes up for a lot of other faults.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Philip Johnson
  • The topic was unlocked