Windows 7

So compared to Vista... what's the difference?

I'm behind, still using XP, and I had to have my arm twisted to do that and step up from Windows 2000.

Something about having an OS that recommendeds I have a dual core cpu and a bazillion gigs of ram for it to run optimally, didn't appeal to me.

I'm behind, still using XP, and I had to have my arm twisted to do that and step up from Windows 2000.

Something about having an OS that recommendeds I have a dual core cpu and a bazillion gigs of ram for it to run optimally, didn't appeal to me.

as one of my computer science professors said once.....you open a Linux package and you are like "wow look at all this cool software and apps and then you open a windows package and you are like wow look at all this bloated crap"

My (vague) understanding of the next version of Windows is that it is basically Vista but more streamlined. For instance, Vista will measure usage statistics and continually load the programs that it thinks you're most likely to use next in the background, just waiting for you to start using them. This is why hard drives often start thrashing for no particular reason when the system is idle. The next version will do away with that.

I have been using the pre-beta/beta for a few months now - here are my observations compared to Vista (your mileage may vary depending on hardware and software used).

It starts/restarts much faster than Vista - my PC with Vista takes 5 minutes to reboot, Windows 7 takes 45 seconds....(the initial installation is also a lot faster than Vista)

It uses the same drivers as Vista - so if something worked in Vista, it works in Windows7 - I have had better luck with non-Vista drivers using compatibility mode than I did with Vista (I tried a very-old video card that I couldnt get to work with Vista and it actually worked with Windows7 when I installed the drivers using compatibility mode)

It crashes alot (it is beta after all)

I like the taskbar better - it gives a bigger preview of open windows/documents than vista, you can rearrange things without installing tweaking software

You can adjust the security warnings so they dont pester you as much - instead of just turning them on/off

Programs that I use start faster - everything seems to run faster than it did in Vista

Those are the main things I have found so far - it is essentially Vista at its core - but with user interface changes

My (vague) understanding of the next version of Windows is that it is basically Vista but more streamlined. For instance, Vista will measure usage statistics and continually load the programs that it thinks you're most likely to use next in the background, just waiting for you to start using them. This is why hard drives often start thrashing for no particular reason when the system is idle. The next version will do away with that.

Isn't that the "ReadyBoost" feature already available in Vista? (Don't actually know - I haven't done Windows in years.)

It's hard for me to get excited about Windows releases because there's so rarely anything new in them that hasn't been done in another operating system before. When there are new features, they're usually small things, nothing revolutionary, or even evolutionary.

I usually don't get excited about new Linux releases, either. In fact, I've been disappointed in every Linux distro I've seen and used because they all seem to be trying very hard (visually) to imitate Windows, rather than go off in a new and innovative direction. There must be thousands of people working on Linux distribution around the world, and nearly all of them have the same Start Button/Bottom Status Bar/My Computer paradigm that Windows introduced in 1995. I don't understand what's holding the penguin people back.

You can adjust the security warnings so they dont pester you as much - instead of just turning them on/off

This is why I don't find much of a use for Windows7. It reminds me too much of my old job. When something didn't work right, instead of fixing the problem they would find a (usually kludgy) way to work around it.

It's like the cage at the zoo holding the hungry tiger has a broken hinge. Instead of fixing the hinge, Microsoft erects a picket fence around the zoo and posts lots of warning signs. Why not just fix the cage?

I usually hear my hard drive thrashing, It's XP downloading Security update, after security update after security update. I'm less thankful they're providing so many security updates as I am frightful that I need this many security updates.

I recall when a friend of mine networked his Linux machine to my XP machine and said "I can see the contents of your hard drive". I was like "yea, I have a few folders shared". He was like "No, I mean the ENTIRE contents of your ENTIRE hard drive" :o

This is why I don't find much of a use for Windows7. It reminds me too much of my old job. When something didn't work right, instead of fixing the problem they would find a (usually kludgy) way to work around it.

It's like the cage at the zoo holding the hungry tiger has a broken hinge. Instead of fixing the hinge, Microsoft erects a picket fence around the zoo and posts lots of warning signs. Why not just fix the cage?

Agreed!

Instead of that "ReadyBoost" type stuff... why not make an OS that uses much fewer resources, less RAM, and CPU so that it wont need to pre load your programs. Instead when you double click an icon, its free to use your computers hardware to open the application very quickly. After all isn't this the definition of an Operating System?!

Isn't that the "ReadyBoost" feature already available in Vista? (Don't actually know - I haven't done Windows in years.)

I usually don't get excited about new Linux releases, either. In fact, I've been disappointed in every Linux distro I've seen and used because they all seem to be trying very hard (visually) to imitate Windows, rather than go off in a new and innovative direction. There must be thousands of people working on Linux distribution around the world, and nearly all of them have the same Start Button/Bottom Status Bar/My Computer paradigm that Windows introduced in 1995. I don't understand what's holding the penguin people back.

What OS are you using? We run Gentoo and Ubuntu on several servers.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anybody have the official version going now? I read good things, but mainly in press-release type stuff. I went to the microsoft website and looked through some of the videos and new features, and it doesn't seem like enough to make me switch from Vista. Vista is just fine and has never given me problems.

Anybody have the official version going now? I read good things, but mainly in press-release type stuff. I went to the Microsoft website and looked through some of the videos and new features, and it doesn't seem like enough to make me switch from Vista. Vista is just fine and has never given me problems.

I am in the process of getting the new version, because I just got a new computer.

At work, I have Vista. No issues...

Windows 7 is basically Vista, with a newer skin, and a better PR campaign. I have not had any real problems with Vista or XP.

Vista and Windows 7 both have "aero" ... just with Windows 7... to clean up your desktop... you shake the mouse violently (and everything gets minimized, neat, and organized vs. clicking each window). Finally, Microsoft has assigned an action to that user input - so I am lead to believe. With me, however, I tend to "body slam" the mouse whenever my computer starts slowing down/IE crashes, Word refuses to spell check, etc. No indications from Microsoft on them recognizing the mouse body slam input... yet...

They have removed the "classic" menu. I can no longer make my task bar/start menu look like Windows 95 anymore. That's usually the first thing I do on a new computer (XP, Vista - make it look like Windows 95).

The OS doesn't really do it for me (any of them). It's the applications. I am eagerly awaiting Office 2010... so I can finally upgrade from Office XP. Office 2010 + Windows 7 will finally give me a freshed computing experience that I've been waiting several years for. I do hate the ribbon, with Office 2007 (at work). Perhaps it only gets worse in 2010. Yet I yearn for this upgrade. I don't know why I hate myself so much.

When I bought a new laptop I made a point of buying a Dell so I could get XP instead of Vista. I'm not aware of any critical functionality that I'm missing. Microsoft's business strategy for years has been to make money with dubious "upgrades" with "features" that few people ever use. What I want from my "computing experience" is a simple, consistent, reliable interface, so what's the point in changing Windows versions?

Anybody have the official version going now? I read good things, but mainly in press-release type stuff. I went to the microsoft website and looked through some of the videos and new features, and it doesn't seem like enough to make me switch from Vista. Vista is just fine and has never given me problems.

Ive been using the final code (we have a Microsoft subscription at work) for a few months now - both 32bit and 64bit -- other than some strange video card driver issues, it has been flawless. I am actually looking at upgrading my company PCs to Windows7 next year when we do a hardware refresh (we have been "downgrading" everything we bought the last couple years to XP) after some more testing verifies all our apps work -- strangely enough, some of our apps that didnt work with Vista work with Windows7. There is a new XP mode (your PC hardware has to support it) to allow legacy apps that only run with XP to run on a Windows7 PC (very similar to Parallels/VMware Fusion on a Mac)

I really like the aero features - they don't bring my not-very-powerful work PC to a halt like Vista did when I tested it....the new taskbar works great, the jump-to lists let you access often-used documents with a couple less clicks....

They have removed the "classic" menu. I can no longer make my task bar/start menu look like Windows 95 anymore. That's usually the first thing I do on a new computer (XP, Vista - make it look like Windows 95).

am eagerly awaiting Office 2010... so I can finally upgrade from Office XP. Office 2010 + Windows 7 will finally give me a freshed computing experience that I've been waiting several years for. I do hate the ribbon, with Office 2007 (at work). Perhaps it only gets worse in 2010. Yet I yearn for this upgrade. I don't know why I hate myself so much.

You can get the XP classic look with a few steps (not sure if that gets you all the way back to looking like Win95 though) : http://www.review2.net/tips/make-windows-7-look-like-windows-xp-classic

I used to have the beta of Office2010 at work -- it's still really really buggy (the worst beta from Microsoft I have ever used) -- it does have a few cool new features (some new grouping/viewing options in Outlook for instance), but also can be infuriating difficult when trying to do the simplest things - the ribbon is still there but even "smarter" -

I finally uninstalled it after a couple days as it crashed way too often, you couldn't open documents by double clicking them (you had to open the app and then file...open to open docs), etc....they will get all those bugs worked out as development continues.

They are also doing "cloud" versions of Office 2010 - I think it just came out in beta...

• 1 year later...

Hard drive crashed yesterday, what a great excuse to move to Windows 7. So, I did it. All I had time for last night was moving files so I haven't used it much, but so far so good. Anything I should look out for (good or bad)?

Depends on what you're used to honestly.

I still am flabbergasted every time I use a new Windows OS to see how much harder it is to do something, all in the name of making it less confusing.

For work this becomes infuriating, for home use, all I ever do is check FB, email or edit some photos in photoshop and if I am not distracted by something else, upload to my website, so I don't really care.

Overall, it's an upgrade, especially for the time it takes to boot.

After using it for over a year and a half both at work and home, I could not be more pleased with Windows 7. Especially the 64 bit version I have at home. Never one crash or any problem with the OS. Just keep up with the updates. They come often.

Would anybody have an opinion on when windows 7 will be replaced? I know Balmer recently said it owuld be next year, but I can't imagine they'd go on to a new system that soon. On the other hand maybe you can call windows 7 the best Vista service pack 3 that there ever was :lol:

Just wondering if it's worth sticking it out with my xp machines till the windows 7 replacement comes along.......

Would anybody have an opinion on when windows 7 will be replaced? I know Balmer recently said it owuld be next year, but I can't imagine they'd go on to a new system that soon. On the other hand maybe you can call windows 7 the best Vista service pack 3 that there ever was :lol:

Just wondering if it's worth sticking it out with my xp machines till the windows 7 replacement comes along.......

Upgrade now. XP isn't getting any more updates, and is a security issue waiting to happen. You will be glad you upgraded. WE are still on XP at work, and most of us can't wait for Win 7 to come along sometime this year. I am using Win 7 now at home, and ma very happy with it. There's also no guarantee you will be able to upgrade from XP to Win 8 when it arrives. Overall, Win 7 just works better.

I like it. Heard about problems with Vista so held off upgrading XP until a couple of weeks ago. Got the Home Edition and the difference between it and XP is night and day. Quality of streaming video is exceptional on a 42" screen. WMC has a very nice DVR built in. Parenthetically I was very pleased to find that reruns of Curb Your Enthusiasm are now available in HD OTA on one of the 39 subchannels.<div><br></div><div>Overall one of my better tech purchases. For those who care it was a clean installation on a new HDD after my last( XP) one cra**ed itself.</div>

Archived