Shooting Range Near The Heights?

20thStDad

I googled and there aren't any near here. I have been way out to George Bush Park (Westheimer past Hwy 6) before, I like it because it's outdoors. There's also one right by my office west of Pearland.

Any around here? I'm guessing any in the city would be indoor. Never been to an indoor one though, not sure I would like it as much.

Only in the suburbs.

No, it is a huge metal building at the corner of 10th and Columbia. It does not appear (from the sounds) to be used daily, but it does get used frequently. I chuckle at the posters who complain of barking dogs 2 blocks away, as I listen to semi-automatic weapons 200 feet away.

Only in the suburbs.

No, it is a huge metal building at the corner of 10th and Columbia. It does not appear (from the sounds) to be used daily, but it does get used frequently. I chuckle at the posters who complain of barking dogs 2 blocks away, as I listen to semi-automatic weapons 200 feet away.

It's a gunsmith

Mueschke MFG. Co.

1003 Columbia

Houston, Tx 77008

For a minute, though, Red, I was concerned it might have something to do with your neighbor's art projects ^_^ .

Haven't been here myself but this is where a few friends have gone. It's indoors. 59S & Chimney Rock area.

http://www.topgunrange.com/

This is the closest one I know of in the inner-city area. Very Wendy Whitebread, West U/River Oaks clientele compared to outdoor ranges. Women will feel comfortable here. But, no shotguns. No large caliber rifles. In handgun world, no magnums.

Red, you have piqued my curiosity about your neighbors!

Sounds like my best bet is to just go during my lunch break at work. What are the chances there's a no firearms, even in your car, policy at my office? I'm betting 100%.

A gunsmith as a neighbor, that can be both good and bad. Did he sport any Obama signs during the campaign?

EDIT: I should point out that I don't have a handgun, just a .22 rifle. Fun for targets and running around the woods. So that's why I prefer outdoor.

Huh, never knew he was a gunsmith. That would explain the occasional versus continuous gunfire. There is usually a dump truck over there, I'm sure for adding to the earthen berm for the range, and I occasionally see a Harris County or HPD unit over there. I've always heard it was a gun range.

As for a gunsmith for a neighbor, the guy directly across the street from him had his front door kicked in while he was preparing dinner, so it didn't do HIM any good. That's why I always roll my eyes at the tough guy gun talk on this forum. I know better.

And, crunch it gets even better. Not only is the guy on the corner a gunsmith, and the next door neighbor an artist using human ashes as his medium, but the neighbor on the other side is a deputy medical examiner! And, of course, I've been known to look at a dead body or two myself. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Hey, Porch, how'd you know he is a gunsmith?

As for a gunsmith for a neighbor, the guy directly across the street from him had his front door kicked in while he was preparing dinner, so it didn't do HIM any good. That's why I always roll my eyes at the tough guy gun talk on this forum. I know better.

Yeah, I was seeing all the lock-and-load comments after last week's unfortunate happening in the hood. I was thinking, 'let's add a flowerpot and a possum to that, and it will sound like New Years Eve again.'

Hey, Porch, how'd you know he is a gunsmith?

Porchman knows certain things. Ya ever seen Burn Notice? ^_^

Except for the part about semi-autos, this reminded me of the "Houston Warehouse" that was legendary among the benchrest crowd.

Topgun range is horrible. Overpriced, rude staff, endless rules about ammo, etc. Went one time, that was it.

Sure, ALWAYS too many rules about gun safety, Geesh, how could they possibly be concerned about your safety and the safety of others. They are so gauche over there with the brothel next door and all.

Sure, ALWAYS too many rules about gun safety, Geesh, how could they possibly be concerned about your safety and the safety of others. They are so gauche over there with the brothel next door and all.

The fact that they require you to shoot brass cased ammo as opposed to steel has nothing to do with safety. It as has to do with the fact that they want to sell the brass. Evidenly charging 15 dollars an hour isn't enough-- they also need your brass. And everything in there is MASSIVELY overpriced.

That gunsmith is STILL in business??

I dealt with him in the late 80's and 90's. He was old when I was there.

He's highly recommended if you want to use him, but he's not cheap, but his stuff is top notch.

When I knew him, he modified guns for snipers in law enforcement and military.

The fact that they require you to shoot brass cased ammo as opposed to steel has nothing to do with safety. It as has to do with the fact that they want to sell the brass. Evidenly charging 15 dollars an hour isn't enough-- they also need your brass. And everything in there is MASSIVELY overpriced.

Because steel and aluminum tend to make some guns jam, more often=unsafe, but since they don't let magnums in there, it is pointless to tell you about how useless blazer made rounds are for my DESERT EAGLE .44, and most likely they refill some of the spent cartridges that people leave laying around.

$15 an hour for always indoor, airconditioned shooting seems pretty fair, Bush charges about $7 and have about 100 lanes, whereas topgun has about 20 or so, right ? Just because it isn't in your budget, doesn't mean it is a crappy place. So what if they want to collect brass to sell, it is their house, their rules. This is why there is Bush Park for those who wish to save a little dough, and you can shoot magnums and .50 cal also.

The Greater Houston Gun Club

Here's a nice one that I visited a few weeks ago. It's on almost two hundred acres down where South Post Oak dead-ends into McHard Street in southwest Houston. It's been there in almost continuous use since 1959, really nice place.

Man I read your post and got all excited until I went to the site and noticed it's shotgun only. Is that for real? What's the point of that?

Man I read your post and got all excited until I went to the site and noticed it's shotgun only. Is that for real? What's the point of that?

LOL! Dude, it is for gamehunters. Gotta get that skeet practice in so you'll know what to do, when you are sitting in the blind for hours on end, drinking beer and laughing at corny jokes and telling lies in 35 degree weather.

LOL! Dude, it is for gamehunters. Gotta get that skeet practice in so you'll know what to do, when you are sitting in the blind for hours on end, drinking beer and laughing at corny jokes and telling lies in 35 degree weather.

Folks who hunt with shotguns don't sit in blinds. Kind of hard to shoot birds when you are sitting on your backside - the birds are along the tree and fence lines. GHGC has been shotgun centric for years. Ther eused to be a rifle and pistol range on the property, but they closed that 10 years ago or so.

Folks who hunt with shotguns don't sit in blinds. Kind of hard to shoot birds when you are sitting on your backside - the birds are along the tree and fence lines. GHGC has been shotgun centric for years. Ther eused to be a rifle and pistol range on the property, but they closed that 10 years ago or so.

I guess you better tell Cabela's to quit selling them then, Genius.

Oh, and tell that guy in this picture he isn't supposed to be using that shotgun to hunt ducks. :rolleyes:

p021477hzos07.jpg

Archived