gambitx

Future Of The Astrodome

What do you think should happen to the astrodome?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should happen to the astrodome?

• luxurey hotel
    • demolation
    • mini city
    • historical landmark

The difficulty isn't thinking up new uses for the Astrodome; museums and whatnot.  The challenge is finding uses that would a) generate enough cash flow to support conversion and maintenance of a giant old stadium, and B) agree with the County's preference for County-controlled parking, sports, rodeo and convention facilities.   If one were to do a Venn diagram it would look something like: oo.  Two smallish, non-intersecting sets. 

http://www.chron.com/opinion/editorials/article/Astrodome-The-sequel-5000027.php

A plan to designate the Astrodome as a National Historic Landmark to be approved on December 12th and sent to city council.  The National Trust for Historic Preservation has opened up an office here and their first project is saving the Dome. 

http://thegrillogazette.blogspot.com/2011/03/architecture-of-welton-becket.html

check out welton becket and associates' other designs.

For those that missed the first go around: Astrodome seats are back on sale this morning. This time you just purchase a ticket ($200 per pair) and then go pick up the seats on Dec. 17. Much less hassle.

http://www.reliantpark.com/events/astrodome-seat-sale

That nostalgia and historic lover in me is itching to buy a pair. Anyone else here have interest or bought a pair the first go around?

Headed for a showdown: Astrodome's fate could be decided in key summer vote  Efforts to make the Astrodome a State Antiquities Landmark took a key step forward Tuesday as the state Antiquities Advisory Board voted unanimously to forward the application to the Texas Historical Commission. Such a designation would prevent the Astrodome from being altered or demolished without approval from the commission.

The commission will make a final decision on the application in July — and that could be the impetus (finally) for a frank and serious discussion on what to do with the world's first domed stadium. 

Harris County Judge Ed Emmett plans to hold a large "stakeholders' meeting" next month, bringing RodeoHouston and Houston Texans officials, preservationists and a host of interested parties on both sides to discuss "where to go from here," said spokesman Joe Stinebaker. Emmett also plans to hold public meetings around Houston in an attempt to build consensus toward a solution that can be presented to the historical commission this summer.

"There is no move to tear down the Dome," Stinebaker said. "But historical designation could tie the county's hands in making it more difficult and expensive to do anything."

Backers of efforts to save the Astrodome believe it cleared a "major hurdle" Tuesday with the advisory commission's vote. "There's no going back now," an elated Ted Powell said in a telephone interview from Fort Worth after the vote.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/sports/04-29-14-headed-for-a-showdown-astrodomes-fate-could-be-decided-in-key-summer-vote/

Good update article from Culturemap.

• Like 1

Would be nice to see the Dome and surrounding property atleast get cleaned up before the Super Bowl instead of view of this next to NRG Stadium.

814788a5c.jpg

• Like 2

If Ed Emmett wants to start this charade all over again, that's his prerogative. But like Subdude said up-thread,  nothing's going to happen that doesn't  align with either Rodeo's or Texans' interests.  So, either they pay every dime associated with re-purposing the dome, or not.    Voters made it clear they don't want any more public money spend on it.  Perhaps the impending shame-fest will convince the two interested parties they need to work together and open their wallets.

If Ed Emmett wants to start this charade all over again, that's his prerogative. But like Subdude said up-thread,  nothing's going to happen that doesn't  align with either Rodeo's or Texans' interests.  So, either they pay every dime associated with re-purposing the dome, or not.    Voters made it clear they don't want any more public money spend on it.  Perhaps the impending shame-fest will convince the two interested parties they need to work together and open their wallets.

I wouldn't say that voters don't want to spend money on it, I would say that voters don't want to spend money to turn it into a convention center when we've got a perfectly good one already.

I bet, if they had held a vote to turn it into a place to house one of the space shuttles, the voters would have been willing to spend the money, we may have even gotten one of them too.

• Like 1

I, as a voter, will vote (again) no on any project asking for tax dollars to be spent on this structure.  I think that's what the "No" vote was mainly about.

Edited by democide

I, as a voter, will vote (again) no on any project asking for tax dollars to be spent on this structure. I think that's what the "No" vote was mainly about.

I think you missed the point. If it gets this status it's eligible for funds you're already paying taxes for. Sorry.

• Like 1

I, as a voter, will vote (again) no on any project asking for tax dollars to be spent on this structure.  I think that's what the "No" vote was mainly about.

Well, if you want it gone... you're still going to be spending a ton of tax $$$ just to get rid of it and turn it into a parking lot. Why not spend a little more and get something that can benefit the city?

• Like 1

Would you say that it's more beneficial to spend nearly 3 million per year in upkeep on something that brings in 0 direct revenue, or spend more money to fix it up and get revenue, both direct and indirect (hotel rooms, cab rides, etc)?

At this point, I'd say that the chances of it being turned into a parking lot are nill, so these are really the options we're faced with.

Maybe if the county hadn't been horrible at managing the place for the past 20 years it would already be a parking lot (which taxpayers would have paid 80 million to accomplish anyway) and you'd not have to consider paying for upkeep on a 0 revenue facility, or paying to have it revitalized into something new that will bring in revenue.

Maybe you should vote no on the people who let this happen in the first place, could we be faced with spending another 60 million over the next 20 years while it continues to generate 0 dollars?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

Thank you Houston Astros and Oilers for bringing this stadium up, and now down.

Edited by democide

I agree. I hate the idea of losing the dome. Tearing it down and replacing it with an ordinary parking lot would kill me. At least this idea pays some kind of tribute to the impact the Astrodome made in this community. That open green space could really be an asset in that area. 

If they could find a way to somehow keep the domed ceiling over this skeletal ring structure or even build a few curved beams to give the outline of the dome's roof it would make this plan even better.   

Edited by Metro West
  • Like 1

The only way this should even be remotely considered is if the Rodeo and the Texans pony up every penny and expect nothing in return.

Yeah, that's gonna happen with those money-grubbers...

• Like 2

The only way this should even be remotely considered is if the Rodeo and the Texans pony up every penny and expect nothing in return.

Yeah, that's gonna happen with those money-grubbers...

Yeah, I doubt that would happen, and I doubt that it would be open as most parks are, which would be... disappointing.

If the dome must be demolished, this is really the best idea though.

I got a push poll about this from HLSR this morning.  The choices were this development or continued entropy.

Ugh.. It's a decent proposal if the dome must go, but I had always hoped for them to build a large park across the parking lots to connect the key parts of the site, and consolidate parking to a few garages.

8BFF9EE0-ECA7-4476-9876-2460E1FC7E93_zps

This park would follow the outline of the HLSAR festival/fair ride area and connect the venues to the light rail station with attractive shaded pedestrian walkways through the park. It would also connect to the pedestrian bridge across 610 for rodeo parking and to spur future development on the eastern part of the astroworld site.

30B87B7A-5FED-48FF-AB25-A165FBF0657A_zps

Edited by cloud713

Enough procrastinating. Something needs to be done and I agree with Metro West, this is better then a parking lot.  

Definitely better than a parking lot. There's just so much more potential at NRG park than a walled in <9 acre park.

Don't like the "minidome"

That's as third rate as things get.  I mean... no!  Just don't!  Turn the whole damn thing into a dump before you do something like that.

Also, I'd love to see the Rodeo and Texans EAT every cent of the cost of this.  They're big money makers, and have people with deep pockets, let them pay for this.  Otherwise leave it alone and let the taxpayers figure it out if they taxpayers are to spend their money on it.

Oh, and "Gameday" unfortunately is only for College Football... sadly the NFL can't find anyone as competent or entertaining as the College Gameday people ESPN has.

Edited by arche_757

Don't like the "minidome"

That's as third rate as things get.  I mean... no!  Just don't!  Turn the whole damn thing into a dump before you do something like that.

Also, I'd love to see the Rodeo and Texans EAT every cent of the cost of this.  They're big money makers, and have people with deep pockets, let them pay for this.  Otherwise leave it alone and let the taxpayers figure it out if they taxpayers are to spend their money on it.

Oh, and "Gameday" unfortunately is only for College Football... sadly the NFL can't find anyone as competent or entertaining as the College Gameday people ESPN has.

Because leaving it alone and letting the taxpayers figure it out has worked out so well???  ;-)

Sheesh people, it's just a proposal.  It's not as if anyone is making demands that this be done and that it be done exactly this way.

Let me rephrase that:  "Allow taxpayers to adequately explore alternate uses for the existing domed structure in NRG Park, rather than these half-a***d county proposals we've seen so far."

Also, it is likely this is "the" proposal that will end up being implemented.  Not like the Texans and Rodeo have hidden their hopes to bulldoze this thing.

I kind of want to stick-it to the Texans and Rodeo.  Which means I don't care if the Astrodome outlasts both organizations - personally that would be a grand accomplishment!

• Like 2

Let me rephrase that:  "Allow taxpayers to adequately explore alternate uses for the existing domed structure in NRG Park, rather than these half-a***d county proposals we've seen so far."

Again, that's worked out really well, hasn't it?  What has kept anyone from "adequately exploring" alternative uses?  Where are the legitimate and realistic alternative proposals?

Also, it is likely this is "the" proposal that will end up being implemented.  Not like the Texans and Rodeo have hidden their hopes to bulldoze this thing.

I kind of want to stick-it to the Texans and Rodeo.  Which means I don't care if the Astrodome outlasts both organizations - personally that would be a grand accomplishment!

So much hate...   After you finish off the Rodeo and the Texans, maybe you can aim to put the Houston Endowment out of business. And then maybe the Brown Foundation.

Don't want anyone to be put out of business, though I would prefer the Dome to survive another 50 + years.  While the Rodeo will likely survive as long (if not longer), who knows how long the Texans and the NFL will survive?  NFL owners are quite fickle.  I'm just irritated that the Texans, and the Rodeo (both make a lot of money) want to destroy a piece of Houston history at the expense of others.  Yes Houstonians are paying for the Astrodome either way, I'd rather my money go towards saving/repurposing something than destroying it.  At least the Rodeo is not a professional sports team owned by a billionaire... I'll give them that.

The Dome can be saved given the right backer - I truly believe the county/sports authority is not/has not been open to all options.  At the end of the day it will be what it will be.

I honestly believe its best use is for some sort of mixed-use facility incorporating some TMC members and some local university.  My guess is either that idea has been quashed completely, or, the right plan hasn't been proposed yet.  Either way it seems a shame to waste a perfectly good building with that much space for use.

And I never said I didn't think the latest proposal was awful, I just really don't like that silly "mini-Astrodome" its tacky.

Edited by arche_757

Maybe they should turn this plan inside out.  Put a little park in the dome instead of a little dome in the park. They can still use it just like the uses they have in their renderings.

• Like 1

So much hate...   After you finish off the Rodeo and the Texans, maybe you can aim to put the Houston Endowment out of business. And then maybe the Brown Foundation.

Why is it that any sort of pointed criticism is automatically categorized as "hate" these days?

And I'd hardly grant either the Rodeo or the Texans moral equivalence with the Houston Endowment and the Brown Foundation. 

• Like 2

All in all it's the better of the proposals I've seen and one which makes sense.

The mini dome is just....tacky -.- If they want to make a pavilion to honor the dome along with keeping monumental elements of the original structure then create a contemporary type style pavilion that plays with the ideas of the original structure! So in the middle you would have some cool contemporary space that is structural in concept and pays homage to the original, but is at the same time it's own entity. In this fashion you have the monumental elements of the past and a vision of the future in the same place.

The main idea of the proposal is sound though. If there is anything that could reasonably be saved it's the spires. I would also like the overall super structure to be saved, but it would be a bit impractical.

So many inverted crosses! This plan will no doubt be supported by heavy metal enthusiasts and atheists.

• Like 1

Instead of demolishing and replacing it with a miniature replica, why not remove the exterior walls (removing the whole "airflow" problem) and leave the Dome intact? 

• Like 1

All in all it's the better of the proposals I've seen and one which makes sense.

The mini dome is just....tacky -.- If they want to make a pavilion to honor the dome along with keeping monumental elements of the original structure then create a contemporary type style pavilion that plays with the ideas of the original structure! So in the middle you would have some cool contemporary space that is structural in concept and pays homage to the original, but is at the same time it's own entity. In this fashion you have the monumental elements of the past and a vision of the future in the same place.

The main idea of the proposal is sound though. If there is anything that could reasonably be saved it's the spires. I would also like the overall super structure to be saved, but it would be a bit impractical.

They want to make a museum for it, they must build a building, seems very sensible to me. They're going to make a replica, whether it's a tiny model that sits on a table inside the museum or make the museum the replica.

I understand where you're coming from though.

But another reason the dome replica works so well is that the remaining columns make up a circle, and so is this replica. Anything other than a round shaped building I think would look make the entire area awkward. 

As long as they make it out of quality material, I think it will work well.

Also, as weird as this sounds, I think this could potentially be more of a landmark than the dome itself as it is now. Do people take pictures in front of the dome for memories right now? Maybe they do, but I doubt it. This is unique looking enough that I think people will take pictures with it. It will be in Houston's next advertising campaign for visitors. It will be the next Houston icon. That it's possibly replacing an icon makes it pretty ironic though.

Edited by lockmat

Won't happen because of the historic designation stuff. That being said it's the most reasonable plan the power brokers have come up with so far. However I would like to see the roof left on in some way, that grad student's idea, the roof was always the best part of the dome.

• Like 1

Won't happen because of the historic designation stuff. That being said it's the most reasonable plan the power brokers have come up with so far. However I would like to see the roof left on in some way, that grad student's idea, the roof was always the best part of the dome.

My favorite idea is the skeleton w/ the roof, too, but I don't think the UH student's idea included the roof. The roof would provide much needed shade, but then again, how many summer events are held there anyway?

This photo provides a good view of the circular ring of columns while it was under construction.

It also shows that the columns extend to ground level, below the berm that exists around the structure. But this image shows that below the berm many columns are integrated with other concrete structures, so the attached concrete structures are going to need to be carefully stripped away to preserve the columns.

Actually, the more I look at the original structure and the depiction of the proposed monument ring, I'm thinking the monument ring will be a new replica. It seems like trying to use the original structure just won't provide a consistent, attractive structure. Also, trying to preserve the original will make demolition much more difficult and preclude the option of implosion.

http://www.oscarmail.net/photos/610s_astrodome_construction_bailey_LIGHTENED_ROTATED_REPAIRED_ADJUSTED.jpg

Edited by MaxConcrete

But another reason the dome replica works so well is that the remaining columns make up a circle, and so is this replica. Anything other than a round shaped building I think would look make the entire area awkward. 

To my knowledge there plan is to destroy the entire structure and recreate the columns that looked like the original columns. If they had decided to keep the original columns, I would like the idea more.

To my knowledge there plan is to destroy the entire structure and recreate the columns that looked like the original columns. If they had decided to keep the original columns, I would like the idea more.

Really? Didn't know that. I agree, was a better idea if they were originals