20.) Philadelphia, PA

21.) L.A.-Long Beach, CA

22.) Phoenix-Mesa, AZ

23.) Indianapolis, IN

24.) San Diego, CA

25.) Kansas City, MO

http://www.mensfitness.com/lifestyle/216

Houston:

Air quality here is among the most unhealthful of any city in our survey, according to EPA air quality standards.

Donuts are 132 percent more popular here than average, according to a comparison of places where they are sold. Houston has the 6th highest number of donut outlets per capita in our survey.

Just 2 percent of Houston residents have a home gym. That's 42 percent less than average, and the 4th lowest rate in our survey.

Hehe...donuts. I freakin love donuts! Home gym? Houstonians use gyms for social interaction, doing it at home wouldn't let them see and be seen.

EDIT: Austin 17th Fittest City on their list.

I've hated this list for a long time. Its very unscientific. It uses statistics like number of fast food restaurants, number of gyms, and other ridiculous metrics to arrive at the rankings.

Given that most Americans have a tough time reading past an 8th grade level, it's not surprising they will never know that this report is unscientific.

I've hated this list for a long time. Its very unscientific. It uses statistics like number of fast food restaurants, number of gyms, and other ridiculous metrics to arrive at the rankings.

It also helps to understand the demographic that writes and reads this celebration of male vanity. These people actually think a home gym is something to aspire to. That Houston's weather allows outdoor activities, such as running, cycling, tennis, and golf to be enjoyed year round is lost on these morons. Good health is only "good" health if you spend money on it. Frankly, I can think of nothing more unhealthy than working out in an indoor gym full of sweaty people. Yet, this rag looks for the number of indoor gyms as a sign of healthiness.

Knock yourself out.

Even just looking at obesity rates I don't think the rankings would change that much. I've only seen rankings of states, not cities, and Utah and Colorado do very well while Texas does not.

I have no problem with that. I just wish they would use obesity rates rather than something obscure like the number of fast food restaurants. After all, people can order healthy or unhealthy food from a fast food restaurant. If we were to use obesity rates, I'm quite sure while Houston would still do poorly, it would easily outperform places like Mississippi and Louisiana.

Archived