Temporarily Moving to Houston

ingress

I am a Canadian moving to Houston to work on a project for 4 months

I will mostly be working on Federal Rd near Highway 10

looking for a a short term apartment rental, What area should I look at

the less of a drive in the morning the better but 15-20 minutes is fine

I ideally would like an area that has a commercial are you could walk with shops and restaurants but ..

I don't know where I should be looking

I would definitely look closer into town. Grew up in the area you'll be in, and was thrilled to finally move away. Short term leases are going to run you a bit, but you might be able to find a place in one of the homes turned into apartment units in Upper Kirby/Montrose area. Not dealing with a corporate entity like most apartment complexes around town, and can probably get a 4 month agreement. Most apartments want at least 6 months, and then charge you inflated rent for not signing a year.

Just don't look at anywhere around Federal and I-10. Where in Canada are you coming from? If you're from Toronto, imagine Finch getting hit by a bomb and you have Federal road.

I would definitely look closer into town. Grew up in the area you'll be in, and was thrilled to finally move away. Short term leases are going to run you a bit, but you might be able to find a place in one of the homes turned into apartment units in Upper Kirby/Montrose area. Not dealing with a corporate entity like most apartment complexes around town, and can probably get a 4 month agreement. Most apartments want at least 6 months, and then charge you inflated rent for not signing a year.

Just don't look at anywhere around Federal and I-10. Where in Canada are you coming from? If you're from Toronto, imagine Finch getting hit by a bomb and you have Federal road.

LOL I am coming from Halifax but went to school in Guelph I am familiar with Jane and Finch , and that description is hilarious and frightening at the same time

• 2 weeks later...

Dunlavy runs from Bissonnet to Allen Parkway, and I can't recall anything terrible...

There are restaurants, bars, and stores where it meets Westheimer (like kylejack mentioned) and is a pretty busy area, and there's also a lot of retail where it meets W Gray.

Dunlavy runs from Bissonnet to Allen Parkway, and I can't recall anything terrible...

The worst part of Dunlavy is from West Alabama to Richmond, by the Fiesta and that horrible white run-down closed apartment complex (yet people still live in there somehow??) that's across the street from Fiesta, but even that area is not so bad. I used to live at West Main and Mandell and walk to the Fiesta.

Every other part of Dunlavy is just fine.

The worst part of Dunlavy is from West Alabama to Richmond, by the Fiesta and that horrible white run-down closed apartment complex (yet people still live in there somehow??) that's across the street from Fiesta, but even that area is not so bad. I used to live at West Main and Mandell and walk to the Fiesta.

Oh yeah, forgot about Wilshire Village apartments. It's definitely run-down, but not closed.

Hopefully Wilshire is not what he found available :)

It'd be nice to see some sort of re-development along that stretch, but I've all but given up on it. Dunlavy near Westheimer or W Gray would be best for ingress

Archived