One last billboard coming down.

editor

Mayor Bill White Joins in Tear Down of One of Final Billboards Among 800-plus Being Removed from Houston Neighborhoods

Mayor Bill White today joined neighborhood groups as one of the last billboards was taken down from Houston neighborhoods as part of an agreement reached last year to remove more than 800 billboard structures in neighborhoods and scenic districts throughout Houston.

After more than two years of negotiations, the City negotiated the agreement with Clear Channel Outdoor, with input from stakeholders and citizen-based groups like the Quality of Life Coalition and Scenic Houston, and passed an ordinance last April to remove the billboard structures by January 2009.

Shouldn't this post be included in citykid's rant thread that 'Houston doesn't care'?

Well, it should be included in the original thread I started about this when it first began, but I couldn't find it.

The new version of the software is supposed to have better search facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

They missed the 2 billboards on Buffalo Speedway between West Alabama and Westheimer :angry:

Guess residents in this area have to look at those ugly things for another decade.

Any way I can file a petition or alert Scenic Houston or Quality of Life Coalition to this? I don't wanna just have a complaint filed and a paper trail made and forgotten, but rather results! Maybe a chainsaw would do it?

• 2 weeks later...

So the big, highway billboards that everybody notices (especially out-of-towners), of which there are over a thousand within city limits (based on the article's numbers), are almost all protected by federal law and hence will never be taken down.

Well, that's a disappointment. And yet something tells me that it doesn't have to be this way. A couple years ago I learned that Maine had removed all its billboards - there is not one billboard in the state of Maine. How did they do it? Don't the same federal laws that protect these things in Houston also apply up there?

Archived