Crime In Downtown

citykid09

Lots of people dying, young and old. When I wake up in the morning and watch 13 Eyewitness News, it seems like many of the stories (everyday now) are about murders and crime that happened the night before. What has gotten into all these crazy people everywhere? I wish it was some way Houston could stop this. Its sad to see all of these people dying. And to know that it is going on in Houston is even worst. :(

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3974548.html

Murders have been going on for decades in major U.S. cities. However, because of the Katrina disaster and the number of displaced New Orleanians who came from poverty and whose numbers might have included a significant number of gang members, and because New Orleans was routinely among America's five most violent big cities, people in Houston are now paying more attention to homicides or violent crime in general.

Keep in mind that in 1981, Houston set a personal record with 701 homicides. That's right. 7-0-1. As in one more than seven hundred. Even with the 23% rise in homicides from 2004, Houston had "only" 334 murders. That's less than 50% the total number of homicides in 1981. Furthermore, even with that 23% rise in homicides, Atlanta, Gary, Washington D.C., Memphis, Dallas and St. Louis (for example) still had higher murder rates.

The question is, how well will HPD's most recent programs to attack especially dangerous neighborhoods fare by year's end? The problem is far more than just the influx of Katrina victims. The problem also includes a rise in central and South American gangs, the reduction (via retirement) of over 200 police officers and the difficulty of recruiting replacement officers fast enough (last count showed just under 50 new recruits in the current academy).

That said, the murder rate appears to have flattened so far. If it at least stays stable, you might actually see an overall reduction relative to last year by year's end. We'll see.

not enough police... more police retiring/leaving than signing up... (and i hope they don't just start taking anybody)

we were going to have this if we didn't have katrina... but with katrina, a 7% - 10% increase in population, the problem worsens.

you'll notice the vast majority of the crime in houston has nothing to do with katrina evacuees...

but keep blaming 'chocolate city' for it... it's trendier.

you'll notice the vast majority of the crime in houston has nothing to do with katrina evacuees...

but keep blaming 'chocolate city' for it... it's trendier.

You must be watching the Beaumont news then. All I've noticed is the crime on the SW side. Sure there are still mexican gang problems on the SE side, and you'll always have problems on the northside, but lets keep this discussion in reality.

I'm sick of the crime too. So sick of it! I was just talking about this with someone earlier this evening. Every night and every morning on the news, a shooting at a SW Houston apartment complex, as well as other areas.

I literally had a nightmare the other night after the latest report came out about the rise in crime.

It infuriates me hearing these stories, like the store owner who was murdered in front of his wife and son the other day, or those two puddles of bile who ran over and killed that baby, the crap who followed the Harwin store owner home and then robbed her, the garbage who broke into a home and tied up the 12-year-old kid while they robbed the place, the countless shootings. My blood is boiling just typing this.

I'm sick of the crime too. So sick of it! I was just talking about this with someone earlier this evening. Every night and every morning on the news, a shooting at a SW Houston apartment complex, as well as other areas.

I literally had a nightmare the other night after the latest report came out about the rise in crime.

It infuriates me hearing these stories, like the store owner who was murdered in front of his wife and son the other day, or those two puddles of bile who ran over and killed that baby, the crap who followed the Harwin store owner home and then robbed her, the garbage who broke into a home and tied up the 12-year-old kid while they robbed the place, the countless shootings. My blood is boiling just typing this.

Yikes, i leave the country for a week and the city goes to pot! Im curious as to whats being done to combat crime, violent crime in particular in the city. If the prisons and the court houses are not overflowing with criminals, again violent ones in particular, then not enough is being done!

Walnut Bend.
We looked at Walnut Bend but sadly, couldn't afford it. We only had 150k to spend, and the best we could find in there was 195k. I think its a nice neighborhood and if holds steady, could be the next BGP.

Walnut Bend. Just off Briar Forrest right outside the beltway. Right by Paul Revere Middle School. The crime is not bad there has just been an upswing lately. Everyone is crying Kartina. Who knows.

T.P. I have to think that those run down apartments right down the street from you might have something to do with it. There is at least one car broken into a night there. When my wife and I were dating, we used to live in there, we got out just in time, this of course was back in '98 or so. Not the Mirage, the ones across the street next to Oreilly auto parts.

Edited by TJones

Sugar Land off Grand Parkway.

Yessiree, Sugar Land.

In my aunts subdivision (Chelsea Harbor off Grand Parkway and HWY 99 - Next to New Territory) they've had 5 burgularies in the past 2 months.

Funny thing is they are next to Richmond/Rosenberg city limits. They arent close to the city at all.

Don't forget Spring! :unsure:

My whole neighborhood was bonbarded with car theft one wednesday night, they tried to get mine, but the alarm scared them off (go figure). After many attempts with a wire threw the window, they finally took a crowbar to the door handle. That was pretty... The alarm was going to go off anyways if they opened the door, idiots...

Anywho, I think they actually got some cars in the neighborhood. Last time there was a car theft was 8 years or so ago. :wacko:

Concur started with the influx of Katrina evacuees. When our Mayor offered FREE money for apartments etc. of course we'd get the worst ones. Many are STILL getting money for rent, etc. That is keeping them here! This is the biggest mistake Bill White has made and now he's trying to climb out of the hole he dug for himself.

I volunteer at Habitat for Humanity and you should see how many are there begging for Habitat homes, yet drive away in their Range Rovers and BMW SUVs.

It might be a cycle. The good areas become bad, and then we move further out, and those areas are good, until the crime catches up to them. There are already new subdivisions going upin Waller, Texas now. Its like Los Angeles

I have not noticed the crime spike out here, but it shouldn't be too long.

Sugar Land off Grand Parkway.

Yessiree, Sugar Land.

In my aunts subdivision (Chelsea Harbor off Grand Parkway and HWY 99 - Next to New Territory) they've had 5 burgularies in the past 2 months.

Funny thing is they are next to Richmond/Rosenberg city limits. They arent close to the city at all.

Per recent police issued statements to the media, most of the robberies in Sugar Land have been premeditated home invasions on older asian residents. This includes the latest home invasions in Chelsea Harbour.

The criminals are following people back to their nice neighborhoods to commit the crime.

Obviously not all of these robberies, home invasions and murders are being committed by NOLA evacuees.

Crime rates are going up across the country, not just in Houston. Cities like Milwaukee (40% increase in murder rate), Cleveland (38% increase), Boston (17% increase), and Phoenix (9% increase) can't use the Katrina card.

My opinion is that the increase in crime is a result of the economy. Living conditions for the poorest of the poor are getting worse, leading to an increase in crime. Someone else has suggested that the crime rates are related to the boom in the 15-25 year old population in this country (that age group being most responsible for crime).

One factor that someone else mentioned is that some programs that were funded by the government is partially to blame as well. Which programs they are, weren't specified. It would be interesting to see which ones, though.

We looked at Walnut Bend but sadly, couldn't afford it. We only had 150k to spend, and the best we could find in there was 195k. I think its a nice neighborhood and if holds steady, could be the next BGP.

I sure hope so. That is part of the reason we bought there. We were able to get into a nice size house that we can grow into. I hope to stay there for a long while.

Musicman-

I'd be interested to know in what capacity you volunteer for Habitat for Humanity?

I've worked on 30 plus Habitat home builds and have NEVER seen someone "begging" for a house and then driving away in a Range Rover or a BMW.

Your claim doesn't pass the smell test.

As for Mayor White, thank God he did the MORAL thing and offered help when it seemed nobody else would. These are people whether you want to think of them as such or not.

Also, I find it laughable that so many get all up in arms over the debit card fraud and "free" housing for people who lost everthing they own when in reality, that's small change compared to what has been happening over the course of the last 3 years in the Iraqi "rebuild" project. Corporate welfare and kickbacks make a mockery of the typical welfare mother abuse scandals.

Musicman-

I'd be interested to know in what capacity you volunteer for Habitat for Humanity?

I've worked on 30 plus Habitat home builds and have NEVER seen someone "begging" for a house and then driving away in a Range Rover or a BMW.

Your claim doesn't pass the smell test.

As for Mayor White, thank God he did the MORAL thing and offered help when it seemed nobody else would. These are people whether you want to think of them as such or not.

Also, I find it laughable that so many get all up in arms over the debit card fraud and "free" housing for people who lost everthing they own when in reality, that's small change compared to what has been happening over the course of the last 3 years in the Iraqi "rebuild" project. Corporate welfare and kickbacks make a mockery of the typical welfare mother abuse scandals.

I work at one of the building supply stores they operate in Houston. I helped with the last application drive they had maybe a month or so ago. The corporate office here is the decision maker one who is going to get a house. but once you're selected you have to do 300 hrs of service, which really isn't that much when you realize you're going to get a house. I've worked with many of the families who won the homes recently. Many are from NOLA. It was just disappointing that i saw one family drive off in a Range Rover and another in a BMW SUV. There is an application fee, credit check, etc to weed out the riff raff. I guess i had hoped that the families were "more" in need.

I think Mayor White did the MORALLY right thing as well. But at the same time MORALLY you should also try and get work instead of trying to work the system to get free rent. Also MORALLY if you can afford a range rover, you shouldn't be applying to Habitat for a home. Let a truly needy family have an opportunity.

Edited by musicman

• 1 month later...

Wow Channel 13, way to narrow it down. I'll just try to avoid those areas now. Lets see, all of SW Houston, all of the Inner-loop west & south of Downtown, and everything north of Downtown. Yeah, that should cover it.

I guess it is good to live on the East Side of town then!!! I know we have had no problems with anything in our neighborhood in regards to items being stolen, muggings, killings, etc...

Scharpe St Guy residing in Broadmoor adjacent to Eastwood

Channel 13 just had a story that descibed the 3 areas of town that had the most crime. The three were 1)sw houston 2) midtown/montrose and finally 3)N and NE of downtown.