What are these things officially called?

I am talking about the iron work circled in the photo below. I need to replace mine - I pulled them off when I replaced the soffit and the porch ceiling last month. The ones in the picture were rusted at the bottom and broken in a few places on top. I thought they were structural, but they were already loose and didn't seem to be supporting any weight (they were essentially hanging from the top), so I haven't been in a hurry. I just think the porch looks better with them there. I took the old ones to the scrap metal yard and the guy there called them "pig iron" and said he didn't have any use for them so I left them out for heavy trash.

Where do I buy these things and what are they called, officially?

DSCN1886.JPG

Decorative iron columns. I'm not sure who has them locally but here is a online catalog where you may be able to find your same pattern.

http://www.classicirononline.com/iron_castings.html

I am talking about the iron work circled in the photo below. I need to replace mine - I pulled them off when I replaced the soffit and the porch ceiling last month. The ones in the picture were rusted at the bottom and broken in a few places on top. I thought they were structural, but they were already loose and didn't seem to be supporting any weight (they were essentially hanging from the top), so I haven't been in a hurry. I just think the porch looks better with them there. I took the old ones to the scrap metal yard and the guy there called them "pig iron" and said he didn't have any use for them so I left them out for heavy trash.

Where do I buy these things and what are they called, officially?

DSCN1886.JPG

My aunt had to replace her iron trellis columns on her ranch. I advised that she look at getting something a bit less flowery because it seemed to make the house look dated. She resisted, at first. However I showed her something like #93 on this page, and she really liked it.

• 7 years later...

Archived