Kitchen back splash suggestions

cougarider

I recently bought a mid century ranch that has had the kitchen remodeled. I know it's not a mid century kitchen for you purists out there. However, I paid for the remodeled kitchen in the purchase price of the home so I will not be remodeling it since it's all new. I do need to put up a back splash because I'm getting oil slashes behind the oven. Can I get some suggestions on tile types that will add some color and not be out dated in 5-10 years. I've been considering glass mosaics 1x1, glass mosaic subway tiles or basic white 3x6 subway tiles from home depot.

About the kitchen:The countertop is a sandy colored granite with some black speckling. In the dinning room directly across I have the color theme of light green via my saarinen executive chairs (wood leg). The colors in the kitchen are very neutral and will accept just about any color.

securedownload.jpg

Please help!

Thanks

Jorge

kitchen.html

post-7537-1231303743_thumb.jpg

Beveled, rectangular, brushed stainless steel mosiac tiles. Get the grain in opposing directions and alternate the tiles.

best part is you can install it over your existing backsplash with construction adhesive.

Stainless steel as a backsplash is very interesting, but I just love the new glass tiles, and think they will have some staying power as far as design goes. I wouldn't set them in a standard running bond, though, but either all squared up or in a vertical running bond. You might check out some of flipper's posts as his backsplashes look like they would go with your kitchen.

792612770_9b808a30fc.jpg

subway-kitchen-shower-3-480.jpg

Stainless steel as a backsplash is very interesting, but I just love the new glass tiles, and think they will have some staying power as far as design goes. I wouldn't set them in a standard running bond, though, but either all squared up or in a vertical running bond. You might check out some of flipper's posts as his backsplashes look like they would go with your kitchen.

792612770_9b808a30fc.jpg

when we remodeled our kitchen we used a stainless backsplash behind the stove, and the same tile we used on the floor everywhere else...it came out nicely

06BurkKit.jpg

13BurkKit.jpg

briar%2013%20kitchen6.jpg

briar%2014%20kitchen7.jpg

Interceramic on Richmond has some really big glass tiles that I think would look awesome. They are 12x24 I believe. Another thing I saw in magazine... Someone picked out a cool wall paper with a retro graphic and put it up, then clear glass over it as a backsplash.

flipper

792612770_9b808a30fc.jpg

Are these examples from your home? Where did you get the kitchen green tiles?

Thanks,

Jorge

The kitchen backsplash is from Jennifer Hibbard's house and her Flickr comments state that the tile is 1x3 subway in Green Apple from

http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/glass-ti...ubway-tile.html

I just googled "glass subway tile" and this is one of the better pictures that came back. Any decent tile store can get glass subway tiles in these smaller sizes.

If you want something less traditional looking you could go for just a big sheet of stainless cut to fit.

Which is exactly what I did here.

Lowes (and I presume Home Depot) sells stainless steel sheets meant to be installed behind stoves. Buy a couple of those. Cut to size. Install with construction adhesive.

You do have to be careful about warping, and making sure you cut it straight and even is key. But it gives you a nice look for way cheaper than you can get any kind of glass mosaic tile.

Which is exactly what I did here.

Lowes (and I presume Home Depot) sells stainless steel sheets meant to be installed behind stoves. Buy a couple of those. Cut to size. Install with construction adhesive.

You do have to be careful about warping, and making sure you cut it straight and even is key. But it gives you a nice look for way cheaper than you can get any kind of glass mosaic tile.

...and probably looks like trailer house living. I want to see pictures.

...and probably looks like trailer house living. I want to see pictures.

How rude! :o

I think stainless would be the perfect fit here. It probably comes precut in the same width as the range. It would blend with the overhead vent, as well as with the range. Also, I think cleanup would be easier on a flat, uninterrupted surface.

Since stainless has come up, what do you guys think of copper for backsplash? White subway tile would be the traditional choice, but I'm liking the copper idea for my kitchen. (white glass front cabinets and oak floors). FWIW I have very little backsplash area to cover.

But then I'm also seriously considering wood counters. They would be period correct, that's for sure. I am so so tired of granite. Is it just me? Any other sufferers of granite ennui?

Since stainless has come up, what do you guys think of copper for backsplash? White subway tile would be the traditional choice, but I'm liking the copper idea for my kitchen. (white glass front cabinets and oak floors). FWIW I have very little backsplash area to cover.

But then I'm also seriously considering wood counters. They would be period correct, that's for sure. I am so so tired of granite. Is it just me? Any other sufferers of granite ennui?

I think a block wood countertop would be cool, kind of like a butcher block.

Might there be problems keeping a wood counter clean/germ free? I'm thinking of our wooden cutting boards... how if you cut avocados or strawberries, a stain stays on it, for example. I guess you can seal them?

A friend who is a metal-worker made hammered copper counters for his kitchen. I have no idea whether that is functional or not. But if you're thinking of copper and want something different....

I spent a few years in a house with a kitchen that had copper accents - it is okay sometimes, but looking back I don't like it at all...

I really like the idea of wood counter tops - they can be sealed/oiled (and sanded with fine grit paper and resealed).

It's good to use a tight-grained wood to reduce porousness (use maple, not oak), and keep vinegar away!

Copper might work well for your application, but I don't think it'd work for the specific application of this topic.

If you go with copper, keep the drapes drawn and lookout for copper thieves!

I think a block wood countertop would be cool, kind of like a butcher block.

Germs!

I don't know that I'm sold on the copper, but am definitely exploring the wood counters. Maple is one of the preferred woods. They're regaining popularity, judging by some of the design mags I've seen lately. The This Old House website is full of wood counter how-to. Done properly, stains and hygiene isn't an issue. Plus they can always be sanded and re-finished. I was in one of the oldest houses in the neighborhood not long ago, and the kitchen still had one run of the original wood counters. The patina of the old wood was just wonderful.

Germs!

Whatever!!!!

Actually, if you think about it, eating off of your countertop...of any material...is probably akin to eating off of your floor. You are deluding yourself if you think that granite, concrete, wilsonart or formica is any cleaner.

As for me, the 5 second rule applies to my countertop, stove and floor. :rolleyes:

Whatever!!!!

Actually, if you think about it, eating off of your countertop...of any material...is probably akin to eating off of your floor. You are deluding yourself if you think that granite, concrete, wilsonart or formica is any cleaner.

As for me, the 5 second rule applies to my countertop, stove and floor. :rolleyes:

My comment was based on cutting boards - wood vs. plastic used for cutting up meat. Then again, I'm sure she's not considering getting out the cleaver and cutting up a chicken right there on the counter. :P

Wood was the standard for kitchens and food preparation for hundreds of years. I wonder if they followed the 5 second rule in the 18th century?

Yeah, and diarrhea was a leading cause of death back then.

Joking aside, I think they'd look lovely. I just don't understand why you'd want to replace the granite. I like wood flooring in kitchens too. Speaking of copper, I like punched copper or tin on ceilings in the right application.

Archived