The Village At West University: Multifamily At 5151 Edloe St.

new to houston

I just arrived in Houston this weekend and have been searching for a new apartment for my husband and 9 month old. It's been a grueling process, but I think we've narrowed our search down to 2 complexes: The Village at West University (at 5151 Edloe near the 59) and The Amalfi at Hermann Park. I've read all the reviews of The Village on apartmentratings.com but for some reason can't find a single review of The Amalfi anywhere on the internet (they opened in May 2008 I believe). Does anyone have any experience or feedback regarding either of these 2 complexes? The Village seems to be in a prime location in terms of walking distance to Kroger, shops, and restaurants, but the crime (apartment and auto break-ins) that I've read about is worrying, especially since I have a 9 month old. Apparently TV Max is also a problem at The Village according to the reviews I have read. I fell in love with The Amalfi as soon as I saw it, but I find it kinda weird that I can't find a single review of the complex online. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...many thanks!

There might be less businesses you can walk to from the Amalfi but it's in a much nicer area in my opinion with Hermann Park and the museums and light rail nearby. I live practically next door. I don't know much about the apartment complex, but I love the hood and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in H-Town. Sorry if that isn't much help. Good luck making your decision.

There might be less businesses you can walk to from the Amalfi but it's in a much nicer area in my opinion with Hermann Park and the museums and light rail nearby. I live practically next door. I don't know much about the apartment complex, but I love the hood and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in H-Town. Sorry if that isn't much help. Good luck making your decision.

Thanks for your feedback. I, too, love Hermann Park and am partly attracted to The Amalfi because of the park and the museums. However, I wonder how much I would enjoy the park once the temperatures soar. Is the light rail used often? Having just moved from Paris, I was very dependent on public transportation, but I'm not sure how popular it is here in Houston...

The Villages at West U are very nice and The Finger Companies have a good reputation for property management, but it's just sort of wedged in between the freeway and the Kroger with few outdoor amenities near. Being from Paris, I think you'd prefer the Amalfi location. That area is very up and coming, plus many of Houston's worldly features are near. Yes, people ride the train and it will get you to several key locations. Additional rail lines are in some stage of planning/construction currently.

Hotel ZaZa (Formerly the Warwick)

"For longtime Houstonians, the Warwick remains the measure of luxury and good taste. It also boasts one of the most awe-inspiring views in town, comparable (as Bob Hope once noted) to anything you'll find in Paris."

Was Bob a drinker?

The Villages at West U are very nice and The Finger Companies have a good reputation for property management, but it's just sort of wedged in between the freeway and the Kroger with few outdoor amenities near. Being from Paris, I think you'd prefer the Amalfi location. That area is very up and coming, plus many of Houston's worldly features are near. Yes, people ride the train and it will get you to several key locations. Additional rail lines are in some stage of planning/construction currently.

Hotel ZaZa (Formerly the Warwick)

"For longtime Houstonians, the Warwick remains the measure of luxury and good taste. It also boasts one of the most awe-inspiring views in town, comparable (as Bob Hope once noted) to anything you'll find in Paris."

Was Bob a drinker?

Thanks for your reply. It was a very hard decision, but we ended up going with The Village mainly because it is right next to a shopping center, thus hopefully avoiding the need to buy a second car for the time being. Who knows, though, with the heat of summer (most of the year I've heard) I may break down and end up getting a set of wheels anyway. Will have to check out Hotel ZaZa someday just so I can be reminded of Paris' charm...when I'm sober! ;-)

As I stated, the Villages are a very nice property. Besides the Kroger shopping center, there's going to be a new HEB store across Buffalo Speedway. This is so centrally located that you'll be able to easily get to any destination, even if only by car or maybe bus.

Welcome!

Hello,

I don't live at The Amalfi, so I cannot comment on the property itself. However, it is owned by Archstone-Smith, and I have lived at Memorial Heights (a MUCH older Archstone property) for the last 7 years. As a management company, they could not be better! I have not had a single maintenance issue that wasn't resolved right away. We had a leasing agent named Caroline who always took great care of me, and was a pleasure to work with. She recently transferred to The Amalfi property. I am certain you would be pleased living there. Good luck!

• The title was changed to The Village At West University: Multifamily At 5151 Edloe St.

Archived