My in-laws thing Cracker Barrel is the greatest thing in the world. Definitely country food. I don't mind it, it's reasonably priced and they have good biscuits. I could do without the junk store at the front of them.

They need a Wings 'n' Things...I'm generally anti-chain, but of course I'm addicted to the worst possible chain out there. That and Burger King. Yeah, I have issues.

Edited by 20thStDad

My in-laws thing Cracker Barrel is the greatest thing in the world. Definitely country food. I don't mind it, it's reasonably priced and they have good biscuits. I could do without the junk store at the front of them.

They need a Wings 'n' Things...I'm generally anti-chain, but of course I'm addicted to the worst possible chain out there. That and Burger King. Yeah, I have issues.

So you're the reason that BK is opening on 518 in front of the Pearland TC. Off with your head!!

I think this was mentioned before, but the development on 288/FM2234(S.C. Parkway) that is being anchored by Kroger will have a Starbuck's, Luby's, and a Cracker Barrel. Do folks like Cracker Barrel? It sounds so "country" to me.

See link for site plan: http://www.gulfcoastcg.com/gulfcoastcg/doc...Marketplace.pdf

Cracker Barrel has great food....and yes the biscuits are hmm hmm good!

Oh, so Taco Cabana is ok but I can't get some red meat? No way TC beats BK, not in my book. Haha, what a useless argument anyway. If only I had the power to summon restaurants at my whim...or destroy them.

Back on topic (sort of), that was a lot of banks they plan to put right there. I think that's good. the 2 retail spots open on the north part look medium sized...perhaps perfect for our mandatory mattress store, cell phone store, or check cashing place.

What I really noticed on that site plan was the planned traffic lights on Shadow Creek Parkway, especially the one at Business Center Drive. I don't know how many times I've seen (or been in) a near miss with someone pulling out of Buc-ee's. Getting a light there can't come too soon.

Does anyone know when Shadow Creek Parkway will be widened? Seems like a lot of new businesses will be opening within a few months, and there will be more and more traffic, and cross-traffic.

What I really noticed on that site plan was the planned traffic lights on Shadow Creek Parkway, especially the one at Business Center Drive. I don't know how many times I've seen (or been in) a near miss with someone pulling out of Buc-ee's. Getting a light there can't come too soon.

Does anyone know when Shadow Creek Parkway will be widened? Seems like a lot of new businesses will be opening within a few months, and there will be more and more traffic, and cross-traffic.

Pearland doesn't give a crap about safety..only $$

We've needed a turning lane on Shadow Creek Parkway going east to turn on Reflection Bay since Shadow Creek opened. There's not even a shoulder you can pull into. With traffic going 50-60mph..you can easily get rear ended by someone not paying attention. I've even passed by a few accidents there.

Now with the shopping center opening up in that intersection..they just created a nice safe turning lane there right after Reflection Bay, for a shopping center that's not even open.

They wouldn't want you to get hurt in a car accident before you can give them some sales tax revenue..no way.

<_< Bunch of jokers.

Edited by dizzyedge

• 1 month later...

Robert Stanton had a recent update on this project in his Inside Pearland blog. His article is below.

Another shopping complex coming to Texas 288 in Pearland

Pearlanders will soon have another place to shop, dine and do business -- Shadow Creek Marketplace at the northwest corner of Texas 288 and Shadow Creek Parkway.

A 105,000-square-foot Kroger Signature store is scheduled to open in November, according to Patrick Egan, a principal with the developers, Gulf Coast Commercial Group.

Also coming in are a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Luby's Cafeteria, dentist offices, soft goods retailers, a dry cleaners, sandwich shop, Chinese restaurant, nail salon and doughnut shop.

Three banks have also set their sights on the marketplace - Chase Bank, Bank of America and Wells Fargo.

Egan said it wasn't a difficult decision to buy the property in 2006, as Pearland's growth was taking off like a rocket. He put it like this:

What we like about it (site) is it's one of the last remaining undeveloped pieces on 288 in Pearland. You have direct access points off the 288 frontage road that provide direct connectivity off 288. It's your first stop into Pearland for the going-home traffic.

Fred Welch, who heads the Pearland Economic Development Corp., sees the project as another plus for the city's retail picture. Here's what he said:

They have a great location and are bringing some development. With some of their pad sites for additional needed restaurants out there, that would support not only residents, but the folks who are coming into the (Texas) Medical Center for treatment.

Egan said that about 30 percent of the retailers are planning grand openings to coincide with the Kroger store opening.

When the 41-acre site is built out next year, there will be a total of 270,000 square feet of retail space. About 20,000 square feet of small-shop space will still be available for lease, he said.

Edited by Timnwendy

...perhaps perfect for our mandatory mattress store, cell phone store, or check cashing place.

mattress store - fine

cell phone store - needed

check cashing place - NO! SCR's above this.

I asked same question on another thread. The city should realize that influx of retailers will create traffic. On TXDoT plan it looks like we have to wait till 2012? There's a link somewhere on HAIF.

mattress store - fine

cell phone store - needed

check cashing place - NO! SCR's above this.

I asked same question on another thread. The city should realize that influx of retailers will create traffic. On TXDoT plan it looks like we have to wait till 2012? There's a link somewhere on HAIF.

Here you go:

http://www.2035plan.org/docs/final/Appendi...02007-11-19.pdf

It's hard to believe Shadow Creek Parkway will remain a 2 lane country road for another four years. My biggest concern is that they will be putting up stoplights soon, out of necessity for safety, at the Marketplace entrance (east of Business Center drive) and then another light at Business Center drive. Perhaps a third at Reflection Bay. With only one lane in each direction, we'll be headed for gridlock at the busy times of day. It also seems to me that they should be doing 6 lanes on 2234 right away instead of going from 4-6 a few years later. I feel they could spend a little more money up front to save a lot more on the back end. But I certainly don't understand city finances. The way I read it, they project $11 million to go from 2-4 lanes and $20 million to go from 4-6 lanes on a shorter stretch. Probably some inflation in that.

• 2 months later...

The Kroger has almost finished its gas station; it is already advertising fuel prices. It is positioned just a few hundred feet east of Buc-ees, very near Shadowcreek Parkway. I can only imagine the driving chaos along this stretch of the road if they don't put more traffic lights in here. Yet if they do, it's likely to become a bottleneck. Ah, we can't have everything, I guess. ^_^

I've read that the Kroger grand opening is December 14. I heard they had employee orientation at the store Sunday and are stocking now. Perhaps there will be a "soft opening" prior to the 14th.

Agreed about the traffic. The intersection of Shadow Creek Parkway and Business Center Drive badly needs a traffic light, what with all the people trying to turn there for access to Nolan Ryan Jr. High, Bucee's, and the businesses down by HEB.

Agreed about the traffic. The intersection of Shadow Creek Parkway and Business Center Drive badly needs a traffic light, what with all the people trying to turn there for access to Nolan Ryan Jr. High, Bucee's, and the businesses down by HEB.

Business center and SC Parkway is a death trap. People are always making stupid left turns of out of bucees. Speed limit is still 45... used to be 60 of course so that's what most people are still doing. But slow down even more than that! Oh, and be smart about when you go to Bucees. I never make a left turn out of there. I always stop on the way home so it's right turn in, right turn out. And that's what I'll do until they put a stop light there.

Business center and SC Parkway is a death trap. People are always making stupid left turns of out of bucees. Speed limit is still 45... used to be 60 of course so that's what most people are still doing. But slow down even more than that! Oh, and be smart about when you go to Bucees. I never make a left turn out of there. I always stop on the way home so it's right turn in, right turn out. And that's what I'll do until they put a stop light there.

I always have a lot of fun leaving Sonic trying to go east on SCR or leaving Bucees trying to get across to Business Center. Will be more fun once the Marketplace is open........ But there is hope, I have seen a lot of active work last few days in what seems to be the beginning work for the 288 feeders between 2234 and 518. SC Parkway work probably won't start for a while.

• 1 month later...

had a chance to stop by the new Krogers in Shadow Creek and the new HEB off 518...I prefer the Krogers much more compared to the HEB as the HEB was too chaotic and bunched up while the Kroger was laid back and spacious...

once more people find out about Kroger it may change but they have my vote now....

when will the Luby's open?

I agree that the HEB can get crazy but at least the traffic flow is regulated a little better down there. The Krogers is going to need to put in a light on their south side, near their gas pumps, to alleviate the backups and danger.

I did see that traffic lights are going up at 2234 and Business Center, just a little ways down the road from the Kroger, so it's possible that will help some....although it will probably only help Buc'ees. ^_^

Guess it all depends on what you want... I shopped at the Kroger right before Christmas, and I found that their assortment was smaller than HEB's. Although it's a very nice conventional supermarket/drugstore, Kroger doesn't have as many specialty items. For example, there were maybe 1/3 as many types of pasta compared to HEB. That's fine, if you're buying regular egg noodles; if you want Amish noodles, it's HEB.

On the other hand, I usually shop mid-day mid-week, so the craziness factor is minimal.

had a chance to stop by the new Krogers in Shadow Creek and the new HEB off 518...I prefer the Krogers much more compared to the HEB as the HEB was too chaotic and bunched up while the Kroger was laid back and spacious...

once more people find out about Kroger it may change but they have my vote now....

I've discovered the HEB there and love it. Try to visit whenever I am out on that end of town.

As for traffic. Pearland is getting nightmarish in terms of traffic at those major intersections and all up and down 518 and 2234 (no lights). They better get a handle on that.

I've discovered the HEB there and love it. Try to visit whenever I am out on that end of town.

As for traffic. Pearland is getting nightmarish in terms of traffic at those major intersections and all up and down 518 and 2234 (no lights). They better get a handle on that.

The problem going east bound on 518 from HEB is that the light has never been adjusted to account for the extra traffic, it favors traffic from 288 to 518 east bound, you can get about 6-8 cars (each lane) through which we know is not enough. The 518 west bound traffic is another story, lights never in sync, no right turn lanes, etc...

Edited by plee

I'm with you. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way. The Kroger experience is much more relaxed, IMO. The store is cleaner, more manageable, and not as crowded (which might be my primary reason). I am not too price conscience so I will go for the better experience. HEB's crowd/ran-sacked(sp?) store is starting to remind me of Super WalMart.

HEB's crowd/ran-sacked(sp?) store is starting to remind me of Super WalMart.

I am vowing to NEVER step foot in a Walmart again unless it is after midnight and the stores have cleared out. The one on I45 N reminds me of some salvage depot yard sale. People running in and out, kids everywhere, parking lots full of folks hanging out or worse.

I finally got to check out the new Kroger today and I am disappointed. The selection is not that great compared to HEB and the prices are higher. I paid $1.75 for a 10# bag of ice!

I doubt I'd be back there any time soon, unless it's to pick up something HEB does not carry. The spacious aisles are nice, but it's not worth paying higher prices for a smaller selection.

I didn't check out the store, but I stopped at the gas station at the Kroger yesterday. They had diesel fuel for $1.98/gal, 1 cent cheaper than Buc-ee's. Then, with my 3 cent discount with the Kroger plus card, it brought it down to $1.95/gal. If I had made a $100+ purchase at Kroger with the card, I could've gotten the fuel for $1.88/gal, which according to texasgasprices.com would be the lowest price in the state for diesel. $1.95's still good though.

I've been to both. HEB has more unusual items but its layout is too inefficient. Kroger has nothing except fancy lighting to distinguish it from the Kroger at 518 and Cullen. Living as I do near 35, neither is worth the effort to get to.

I like Kroger's for the quick run to the store type things. For a full grocery list I prefer HEB much more. HEB just has a bigger selection and I actually love the cooking demonstrations (I can actually cook a few meals now). Of course, you do have to plan your HEB trip a bit more so I guess it depends on what your shopping needs are.

I've never been a fan of Kroger and having to carry a card to get discounts..... However, I've been a couple of times to the store and quite like it. Very spacious and clean. International food selection is pretty big. If you hunt for the good deals, they are pretty good (I had to get a card after what I saw and now keep it in the car).

But at the end I am an HEB Plus guy. I've never been back to Super Target after they opened, and my visits to Wal-Mart are very limited. I agree the store might be difficult to navigate, but nothing beats it for the type of shopping my household has.

Long time reader of the boards, but never posted ... until now.

Just had to comment on the new Kroger. I normally shop at HEB and I would agree with everyone that it is becoming chaos. Decided to stop in this past weekend to grab a few things at the new Kroger. Took me a while to find what I needed, but the store was easy to move around in since there were hardly any people there.

I had exactly 18 items in my cart and went to check out. Arriving at the checkouts, I noticed there were only 4 "regular" lanes in operation and 3 "15 items or less" lanes. Suffice to say, all the regular lanes were backed up at least 3-4 carts deep and 1 of the "15 or less" lines was just becoming available so I decided to save a little time and maneuver my cart in that direction.

Now, before everyone get's in an uproar, I'm not "one of those" who clogs up the express lines at the grocery store (I've only done this on 1 other occasion).

I begin by placing the "courtesy grocery bar" (which is the little plastic device that indicates my territory) on the belt and start unloading. I get approximately 8 items on the belt and the checkout lady hoarsely asks "Sir. Sir. Do you have less than 15 items?" I immediately turned the bright red shade of Brittney's dress on the cover of the Enquirer. So I proceeded to count my items quickly just to make sure I was close to the limit. I politely indicated "Almost 15 items. I have 18."

Now all in a span of about 3 seconds my mind goes through stages ... embarrassment, shock, and then disbelief that she would even bother to ask. To my amazement, she responded back, "Sir, this line is for 15 items or less. You need to move your items to another register." ... as she points to the brightly lit up sign above her head. I responded with the obvious "You're kidding me right?" "No sir. The sign clearly says 15 items or less."

Of course I sheepishly moved my items and went and stood for 5 minutes in the regular line.

While I respect the cashiers and the rules, I've never actually heard of this happening to anyone I know, much less experienced it myself. I really wanted to take 3 cans of soup out of my basket and set them on top of her register and give her a "Ummpf ... there. Here's your 15 items now."

Being a new store, I wrote this little experience off as the new cashier using her newly acquired training to show off to her new boss. At least she takes her job seriously.

Of course, this experience didn't ruin my taste for shopping at this Kroger in the future ... but it sure upset me and I think I'll continue to fight the mob's at HEB for now.

Thanks for all the info everyone provides on the boards!