Moving to Houston from Paris, France

new to houston

I'm an American that is moving back to the US from Paris, France. My husband works for an international energy company in west Houston around the I-10 and the 6, and we have a 9-month old. We will be renting an apartment, as we don't know how long we'll be in Houston. I would like to live in an area where I can take my baby out and about without having to spend too much time in a car. In fact, I would prefer to be within walking distance from an assortment of family-friendly activities (park, zoo, museums, library, etc.) and shops, grocery stores, etc. However, I realize I may be deluding myself after everything I've heard about Houston being a car-town. We've been told that we might like the Hermann Park and W University Place areas (despite the long distance from my husband's work). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

I'm an American that is moving back to the US from Paris, France. My husband works for an international energy company in west Houston around the I-10 and the 6, and we have a 9-month old. We will be renting an apartment, as we don't know how long we'll be in Houston. I would like to live in an area where I can take my baby out and about without having to spend too much time in a car. In fact, I would prefer to be within walking distance from an assortment of family-friendly activities (park, zoo, museums, library, etc.) and shops, grocery stores, etc. However, I realize I may be deluding myself after everything I've heard about Houston being a car-town. We've been told that we might like the Hermann Park and W University Place areas (despite the long distance from my husband's work). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Many of the things that you require are centrally located. On a positive note, if you lived centrally, your husband would be going 'against' traffic on his commute. Add Braeswood Place to your list. There are parks, schools, a library and YMCA right in the neighborhood.

Also, if you rent, you'll get a better sq. ft. price leasing a private property than an apartment complex. Check out HAR.com for listings.

It's a bit pricey but there are options in the Rice Military/Bayou Bend areas on the west side of the Inner Loop. There are pockeet parks as well as the Buffalo Bayou greenbelt but there is also Memorial Park. All of them within walking distance, depending on where exactly you live.

But again, it can be pricey.

Check out some of the rentals on Westcott Street between Memorial Drive and Washington, for example. Some may be more reasonable to your view. Others not so much. If you're willing to go fairly high on a per month basis, also check out some of the midrise rental places on Memorial to the west of Shepherd.

There are a lot of nice apartments in the area (Memorial and Eldridge - in any direction) - There are also a couple of great parks in the area and a lot of good schools. You won't find a zoo - although there are animals about 5 miles north in Bear Creek Park. There is a library in the area which is almost entirely children's books/reading sessions (you have to go up to Bear Creek to get a library with more adult books. It's certainly not like living in the museum district, but if your husband is working for BP or ExxonMobil in that area, he can walk to work (I would drive to Chevron or Shell because you have to cross the freeway).

Many of the things that you require are centrally located. On a positive note, if you lived centrally, your husband would be going 'against' traffic on his commute. Add Braeswood Place to your list. There are parks, schools, a library and YMCA right in the neighborhood.

Also, if you rent, you'll get a better sq. ft. price leasing a private property than an apartment complex. Check out HAR.com for listings.

Many thanks for your input. We arrived in Houston today, and based on what we've seen around Hermann Park, I think we're going to aim for that area. It especially seems to be full of child-friendly activities...

It's a bit pricey but there are options in the Rice Military/Bayou Bend areas on the west side of the Inner Loop. There are pockeet parks as well as the Buffalo Bayou greenbelt but there is also Memorial Park. All of them within walking distance, depending on where exactly you live.

But again, it can be pricey.

Check out some of the rentals on Westcott Street between Memorial Drive and Washington, for example. Some may be more reasonable to your view. Others not so much. If you're willing to go fairly high on a per month basis, also check out some of the midrise rental places on Memorial to the west of Shepherd.

Many thanks for your input. We checked out a few areas today (we flew into Houston today) and have added Memorial Park to our list of places to check out this weekend. Will definitely keep your tips in mind...

There are a lot of nice apartments in the area (Memorial and Eldridge - in any direction) - There are also a couple of great parks in the area and a lot of good schools. You won't find a zoo - although there are animals about 5 miles north in Bear Creek Park. There is a library in the area which is almost entirely children's books/reading sessions (you have to go up to Bear Creek to get a library with more adult books. It's certainly not like living in the museum district, but if your husband is working for BP or ExxonMobil in that area, he can walk to work (I would drive to Chevron or Shell because you have to cross the freeway).

Thanks for your tips. We arrived in Houston yesterday. I'm definitely going to check out the library with the children's books/reading sessions. After driving around different neighborhoods, I've gotten the feeling that there are plenty of fun things (in close proximity) to do with kids in the museum district. Any ideas if that area is relatively safe? I liked what I saw but lack an insider/native perspective...

Archived