Why some people hate the suburbs

AAA

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting article on why some people hate the suburbs. Sorry if it has been posted elsewhere.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123033369595836301.html

Reasons to hate the suburbs:

1. Longer distances between things

2. The "things" are all cookie-cutter strip centers with national chains, few authentic interesting places

3. Less history

4. New uninspired cookie-cutter architecture

5. "family people" i.e. PTA Nazis, ragin' soccer dads, crappy bars full of old boring men who smoke like chimneys and bad karaoke

I mean uh, what's to LIKE about the suburbs. Lower crime? Yeah, okay. Eyeroll.

Here are a few things to like about suburbs:

1. Longer distances between things, for those of us who like that.

2. Old, uninspired cookie-cutter architecture. Houston has suburbs from many different periods, going back 100 years or so.

3. Quiet.

4. Swimming pools.

5. Big houses.

6. Cheap land.

7. Great restaurants. Some of Houston's best restaurants are in far-flung strip centers.

8. Jobs. Houston's employment is spread all over.

Reasons to hate the suburbs:

1. Longer distances between things

2. The "things" are all cookie-cutter strip centers with national chains, few authentic interesting places

3. Less history

4. New uninspired cookie-cutter architecture

5. "family people" i.e. PTA Nazis, ragin' soccer dads, crappy bars full of old boring men who smoke like chimneys and bad karaoke

Edit: Messed up, refer to #5.

2. Old, uninspired cookie-cutter architecture. Houston has suburbs from many different periods, going back 100 years or so.

3. Quiet.

4. Swimming pools.

5. Big houses.

6. Cheap land.

7. Great restaurants. Some of Houston's best restaurants are in far-flung strip centers.

One of the things that guides medical practice is 'risk-benefit' analysis. Doctors do whatever they do on you and prescribe whatever because its benefits outweigh the risks. same goes for people's choices. suburbs are great for some, and sucks for others. make your best choice and don't critisize others for making their best choice.

btw, Houston suburbs are fast becoming atypical with closer malls, fine dining, and proximal services. A nurse in Sugarland don't need to drive to Medical center to work in Methodist or go to the Galleria to shop at Macy's anymore. Why won't she and her husband choose to live there?

The Suburbs are great for some people but not me.

Why would anyone want to live in a house where the fifth house down is exactly the same?

In some cases all the houses, unfortunately...

No house is truly unique, you can try and for those of you who succeed ,praise to you.

The majority of people living there are white, no offense. Some suburbs are diverse but they're aren't many.

The burbs, to me are symbolic of a sameness, insipid bland , boring life.

Sure the houses look good, crime isn't high, most of the time good schools, but where is the excitement?!

Where is the mystery? Today ,there, is most likely alike as yesterday and tomorrow.

And if you live there, good for you. Maybe that's just your lifestyle, and maybe you see it in a different light.

Why would anyone want to live in a house where the fifth house down is exactly the same?

No house is truly unique, you can try and for those of you who succeed ,praise to you.

The majority of people living there are white, no offense. Some suburbs are diverse but they're aren't many.

Sure the houses look good, crime isn't high, most of the time good schools, but where is the excitement?!

Where is the mystery? Today ,there, is most likely alike as yesterday and tomorrow.

And if you live there, good for you. Maybe that's just your lifestyle, and maybe you see it in a different light.

When I signed up for our house to be built I know immediately that half the homes in our section is going to have that plan, but i don't care. It is simply a great plan for the space. There are 38 homes on my street, 19 built by my builder. 5/19 homes has my plan. I know because we were the first on the street. But why would that bother me. I love the suburbs for what it has to offer, listed by memebag above. Crowd, crime and cramped space for the money are about my top three reasons for not living inside the beltway. But we go there to enjoy life when we're hungry for it. Ever seen a parent with two wonderful kids who will forgo fine schools because of cookie-cutter homes?

The burbs are okay. We visit folks in the Champions area regularly, and I think it's pretty. Lovely trees. Nice Homes. They all seem to be great neighbors.

What strikes me, particularly, is the diversity of our burbs. (#7 on Stuff white people like, after all). I have only a handful of non-anglo households in my neighborhood. So much for the urban experience. I do love the Heights. However, until cuteness and really short commutes become more celebrated than large yards and big homes, the Heights may lack something. (I know, Blasphemin'!) .

3. Quiet.

4. Swimming pools.

5. Big houses.

6. Cheap land.

I will grant cheap houses and land. Nix on the rest. In particular, Houston's best restaurants are in the Loop. In fact, pretty much Houston's best _______ are in the Loop.

One thing you won't find inside the Loop: Wal-Mart.

One of the things that guides medical practice is 'risk-benefit' analysis. Doctors do whatever they do on you and prescribe whatever because its benefits outweigh the risks. same goes for people's choices. suburbs are great for some, and sucks for others. make your best choice and don't critisize others for making their best choice.

btw, Houston suburbs are fast becoming atypical with closer malls, fine dining, and proximal services. A nurse in Sugarland don't need to drive to Medical center to work in Methodist or go to the Galleria to shop at Macy's anymore. Why won't she and her husband choose to live there?

I remember once during a time when I was working in Sugarland they were having an anti-gay marriage fair on the steps of the new City Hall in Town Square. Cotton candy and all kinds of nonsense. I know there are some who probably support such a goal, but I mean a fair? Come on, a little tacky.

When I signed up for our house to be built I know immediately that half the homes in our section is going to have that plan, but i don't care. It is simply a great plan for the space. There are 38 homes on my street, 19 built by my builder. 5/19 homes has my plan. I know because we were the first on the street. But why would that bother me. I love the suburbs for what it has to offer, listed by memebag above. Crowd, crime and cramped space for the money are about my top three reasons for not living inside the beltway. But we go there to enjoy life when we're hungry for it. Ever seen a parent with two wonderful kids who will forgo fine schools because of cookie-cutter homes?

Bingo. We can all admire and appreciate architecture, but if you have to choose between fine architecture and a good school/safe place for your kids, and you choose architecture, you're a real jerk. At the very least.

It's great if you have the money so you don't have to choose, but not everyone does. But here we go again with the people-who-live-in-suburbs-are-stupid thread. Really, hasn't it all been said?

edit: I don't live in the 'burbs, by the way. But I'm not saying I've made the best decisions.

Bingo. We can all admire and appreciate architecture, but if you have to choose between fine architecture and a good school/safe place for your kids, and you choose architecture, you're a real jerk. At the very least.

It's great if you have the money so you don't have to choose, but not everyone does. But here we go again with the people-who-live-in-suburbs-are-stupid thread. Really, hasn't it all been said?

edit: I don't live in the 'burbs, by the way. But I'm not saying I've made the best decisions.

Well uh, it doesn't have to be that way. Move to the suburbs without moving into a master-planned community. Give Kickerillo etc. the finger and hire an architect with his own ideas.

I will grant cheap houses and land. Nix on the rest. In particular, Houston's best restaurants are in the Loop. In fact, pretty much Houston's best _______ are in the Loop.

In fact, pretty much Texas's best _______ are not in Houston. I love all these inner loop snobs. That think that somehow inside-of-610 living is some how superior to anything outside of the loop. Drive down I-45 from IAH, through downtown, look on the left and right side of the freeway as you go. What a place to live. How depressing. I've lived all over this city, inside the loop; outside the loop... there really is no difference between inner loop suburbs, which they are, and outer loop suburbs, other than crime and a crappy school district inside of 610. Other than that... everything is pretty much the same. If you like Mongolian BBQ... there is only one place in Houston to get the best... and it

How is that any worse than living in a condo or apartment where every house is exactly the same? And why would it bother me if my neighbor had my floor plan?

We must be using different definitions of "suburb". Houston has a lot of suburbs where whites are a minority.

Thanks.

You need to get out more. All the best Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian and Mexican food in Houston is found outside the loop now. Most of it is in dinky little strip centers.

One thing you won't find inside the Loop: Wal-Mart.

No, just Target and Costco. Is Wal-mart attendance mandatory for us outer-loopers now?

I remember once during a time when I was working in Sugarland they were having an anti-gay marriage fair on the steps of the new City Hall in Town Square. Cotton candy and all kinds of nonsense. I know there are some who probably support such a goal, but I mean a fair? Come on, a little tacky.

Yeah, Sugar Land can be scary. Don't base your opinion of all suburbs on it.

just to play devil's advocate... with the townhome explosion, its possible to live in an urban environment, and have the houses next door through the fifth down look the exact same as yours.

I live in 30's montrose fourplex... there's a fourplex 2 blocks away that apears to be the exact same design and color.

As far as fourplexes go... there's only so many ways to go about it.

There are 2-3 fourplexes in a row on castlecourt that look the exact same.

Im sure sameness can be found in some of the Heights Victorians and Montrose bungalows too.

On the otherside of things, in my parents gated community in the suburbs.. they happen to have the 1 and only of a particular floorplan in a neighborhood of a few hundred. It's the same in brick color, style, and one of 6 paint colors.... but it is 100% unique in layout and area.

I'm happy to live in-city for several reasons.. but I think noting as a con of the suburbs the "sameness" is slightly dishonest and it's actually the staleness of the suburban environment that highlights the sameness there while the vitality of the environment here actually hides the fact that we have cookiecutter residential architecture in places as well.

Regardless.. the posted article was a good read. Thanks.

The reason suburbs are successful is that developers have managed to convince people that the only criteria they should consider when buying a house is its size. This allows them to build large, cheap houses on small pieces of land far away from anything, and people will snap them up. The marketing is brilliant. Ever notice how the vast majority of suburban houses are two stories? More square footage on a smaller lot, more lots, more money for the developers-- but they'll tell you how "grand" the two story entry way is. Or they'll dig a ditch and fill it with water, build a house next to it and sell "waterfront" property. It's hilarious really.

The reason suburbs are successful is that developers have managed to convince people that the only criteria they should consider when buying a house is its size. This allows them to build large, cheap houses on small pieces of land far away from anything, and people will snap them up. The marketing is brilliant. Ever notice how the vast majority of suburban houses are two stories? More square footage on a smaller lot, more lots, more money for the developers-- but they'll tell you how "grand" the two story entry way is. Or they'll dig a ditch and fill it with water, build a house next to it and sell "waterfront" property. It's hilarious really.

Suburbs have been around for thousands of years. Are you really trying to argue that is due entirely to deceptive marketing practices?

Suburbs have been around for thousands of years. Are you really trying to argue that is due entirely to deceptive marketing practices?

No, I'm speaking specifically about modern suburbs of the type that are typically found in Texas. And I don't think the marketing practices are necessarily deceptive, they're just...misleading.

Do you guys really think suburbs are nonsense? Seriously? Ok let's go point-by-point...

The reason suburbs are successful is that developers have managed to convince people that the only criteria they should consider when buying a house is its size.

You forget about good schools, low crime, great place to raise kids, and in Houston suburbs, 5 - 10 minutes from every chain restaurant, a mall, a town center, swimming pool, tennis courts and soccer fields are all in the subdivision. They sure market more than size. Your city-centric eyes need to more attention.

This allows them to build large, cheap houses on small pieces of land far away from anything, and people will snap them up.

Why will a family of 4 buy a 1200 sf 1 bedroom in museum district or midtown for 250,000 when they can get a 2500 mcmansion in Pearland for 200, 000. If you'll do that then only one word describes you s-t-u-p-i-d.

The marketing is brilliant.

So is the marketing of your highrise condo.

Ever notice how the vast majority of suburban houses are two stories? More square footage on a smaller lot, more lots, more money for the developers-- but they'll tell you how "grand" the two story entry way is. Or they'll dig a ditch and fill it with water, build a house next to it and sell "waterfront" property. It's hilarious really.

Your last sentence sums up the rest of your post.

Cookie cutter homes have been around for a LONG time. Go through Riverside, I can think of at least four houses right off hand that share floorplans, two houses share one plan dating from c. 1949, one is located on Rio Vista, the other on Del Rio, and two houses share the other plan dating from c. 1955, one on Ardmore, the other on Del Rio. I'm certain that there are more, they may not be five houses down from each other as today's are, but repetition does exist in these older hoods.

Do you guys really think suburbs are nonsense? Seriously? Ok let's go point-by-point...

You forget about good schools, low crime, great place to raise kids, and in Houston suburbs, 5 - 10 minutes from every chain restaurant, a mall, a town center, swimming pool, tennis courts and soccer fields are all in the subdivision. They sure market more than size. Your city-centric eyes need to more attention.

Why will a family of 4 buy a 1200 sf 1 bedroom in museum district or midtown for 250,000 when they can get a 2500 mcmansion in Pearland for 200, 000. If you'll do that then only one word describes you s-t-u-p-i-d.

So is the marketing of your highrise condo.

Your last sentence sums up the rest of your post.

For the record, I live in Pearland. And the marketing I see going on for highrise condos is every bit as nauseating as that for "master-planned communities." In both cases it's the work of developers eager to sell a "lifestyle" to one or another demographic. I find both equally stupid.

Has anyone even read Revolutionary Road? I have it on my to-read list...

I have lived all over Houston, and there is blandness and monotony everywhere. Look at Bellaire - thousands of cookie-cutter 1950s era 1200 sf homes being replaced by thousands of cookie-cutter 4000 sf homes (on the same lot size, though). There are a few interesting newer homes (and older, too), but most are picked from a catalog (by the builder) and tossed up in record time.

The Heights definitely has its share of similar bungalows, but I'd argue that what's left is dwindling for Houston on the whole from that era. The issue I have is not replacing cookie cutter homes with more of the same (most people aren't as interested in architecture as we are, I gather, or more of that 900k would go to architectural planning), but more about why folks are wasting what's already there.

The point of the film, though, seems more geared toward the artificial glaze over everything - something that old suburbs' advertising often offered. Low crime, everything brand new, everything cheap, and a happy family.

We all know there's plenty of crime in suburban areas, some schools are crappy, some are not, but like others have said, everyone has reasons for their choices (and there are more job opportunities father out now, too).

In fact, pretty much Texas's best _______ are not in Houston.

Correct.

You need to get out more. All the best Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian and Mexican food in Houston is found outside the loop now. Most of it is in dinky little strip centers.

Hugo's, Khyber Grill, Thiem Hung

and in Houston suburbs, 5 - 10 minutes from every chain restaurant

See here's the problem: You consider this a good thing. To you Macaroni Grill (or whatever) is an asset. To me it is an eyesore. Different priorities, different opinions.

No, I'm speaking specifically about modern suburbs of the type that are typically found in Texas. And I don't think the marketing practices are necessarily deceptive, they're just...misleading.

I don't buy it. Ancient Romans built houses outside the walls for the same reasons modern Houstonians build houses outside the loop or beltway. They want to get away from the city center and they can afford it. Are there liars in real estate? Sure, there always have been. That doesn't explain the existence of suburbs, modern or ancient. Suburbs are built because people want them, plain and simple.

We can all admire and appreciate architecture, but if you have to choose between fine architecture and a good school/safe place for your kids, and you choose architecture, you're a real jerk. At the very least

Amen to that. Some of us family people want to provide the best for our children. You can have HISD.

Traffic, traffic, traffic - suburbanites are always at the mercy of developers' future plans and the idiosyncracies of the road-building lobbies.

Exhibit A: Hwy 290's distant burbs. Disasterously slow commutes/access to city....worse daily.

Exhibit B: Hwy 288's rapid unsuitability for purpose...and it will be worse soon.

Inside the loop, you're never far from: e.g., the world's largest Med Center, stadiums, universities, our four large downtowns, by FAR the most

extensive restaurant options (tastiness is a personal, subjective matter!), museums, Metrorail, the best shopping, and much more. On the flip side,

while there are myriad reasons to spend time inside the loop, why would an inner looper EVER care to visit the exurbs? They have almost nothing inner loopers need! (MUD districts, golf ?)

I can see why parents on a budget would move out to snag a better school or a bigger house/yard for kids. Also, if you work in the exurbs or just

can't pull off the finances close-in, then OK. Otherwise, downsize, pollute less and move in! Further, once the nest is empty, move in!

BTW, there is a Wal-Mart maybe 300 yards from the loop where the 610 W becomes 610 S., FWIW...

P.S. - I have read Revolutionary Road twice - superb prose! I liken it to Updike (my favorite ever), but a more stripped-down, spare style. Yes, people have

noted the suburban dolor almost since Levittown! Oates and Updike are two authors who write extensively about the suburban effect on our national psyche.

RR is an outstanding, relatively early (set in '55, written in '61) exposition of suburban isolation and conflict. Good read.

Although I'm a city mouse, I will give the suburbs credit for one thing: quiet.

Sure, there's the occasional bitchin' Camaro or guy woodworking in his garage at 3am, but every time I go to a suburb (maybe every other month) I always take a couple of minutes to stand very still and listen to... nothing. Glorious nothing.

The city has a hum that's part of the underlying vibrance. It's nice, and sometimes it's even comforting. But you can't escape it except on Christmas morning.

This may as well be a Dallas v. Houston thread. Live where it works best for you. I'm single and choose to live inside the loop. If I had a kid, love child or other, I'd consider the suburbs.

Bryan, I love that Mongolian place, but it's not the only one. Check out China Town West (outside the loop). That reminds me, it's lunch time.

Amen to that. Some of us family people want to provide the best for our children. You can have HISD.

I respect that folks choose suburban homes near good suburban schools, but depending on your zoning (or magnet expertise), HISD has plenty of good schools.

Traffic, traffic, traffic - suburbanites are always at the mercy of developers' future plans and the idiosyncracies of the road-building lobbies.

Exhibit A: Hwy 290's distant burbs. Disasterously slow commutes/access to city....worse daily.

Exhibit B: Hwy 288's rapid unsuitability for purpose...and it will be worse soon.

Inside the loop, you're never far from: e.g., the world's largest Med Center, stadiums, universities, our four large downtowns, by FAR the most

extensive restaurant options (tastiness is a personal, subjective matter!), museums, Metrorail, the best shopping, and much more. On the flip side,

while there are myriad reasons to spend time inside the loop, why would an inner looper EVER care to visit the exurbs? They have almost nothing inner loopers need! (MUD districts, golf ?)

I agree about the traffic unless you work in the suburban area you live in.

On the flip side, I have lived about 2-4 miles from work (in the city) in various places and always sat in traffic. Recently it took me about thirty minutes to get home (~3 miles).

BTW, there is a Wal-Mart maybe 300 yards from the loop where the 610 W becomes 610 S., FWIW...

True, and it's the nastiest ever.

P.S. - I have read Revolutionary Road twice - superb prose! I liken it to Updike (my favorite ever), but a more stripped-down, spare style.

I will definitely move this up the list - I am a big Updike fan!

Live where it works best for you. I'm single and choose to live inside the loop.

Exactly - and we can't possibly know all the reasons behind where a stranger chooses to live...

Well uh, it doesn't have to be that way. Move to the suburbs without moving into a master-planned community. Give Kickerillo etc. the finger and hire an architect with his own ideas.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLOL

Please, educate me on a cheap architect/contractor that can design/build me a unique home for 150k, WITHIN 30 miles of downtown, and with in 15 minutes any existing commercial development.

Good luck!

Archived