The Park On San Felipe At 1702 South Post Oak Ln.

dbigtex56

From the Houston Chronicle, 28 Dec. '08:

When finished, the .09-acre patch of land near the Galleria will be the city's smallest park. Too small even for a basketball court, Post Oak Lane Park might be big enough for a game of horseshoes, a few benches and greenery.

Using its power of eminent domain, the city of Houston seized the land for the park from brothers James and Jock Collins last year. Officials claimed there was a "public necessity" for the park in the Uptown area, despite the fact that a much larger one

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'm pretty confident this is just north of BLVD Place but can't figure out which little parcel it's designated for. Isn't this the same place the old brothers owned together that the city "stole" from them?

See the link for higher resolution images

The Park on San Felipe provides a new opportunity to augment and enhance Uptown’s public realm and reinforce its position as one of Houston’s most prominent addresses. Currently, the park sits across from a new mixed-use development under construction including restaurants, residential space and a Whole Foods Market set to open in April 2014. The park is also within walking distance from multiple office, retail and residential buildings. Directly south of the site, future plans for development is unknown and studies for potential shade models and screening were mandatory to 
create a design that would sit well with and connect to the near future development as well as become a 
trademark open space for the Uptown District. The design focuses on maximizing the space of the park through connectivity and flexibility and providing a comfortable refuge for pedestrians. We image the Park on San Felipe to be an modern oasis within its new urban setting, a great space to have lunch with friends, grab a coffee during a shopping 
break, watch a small performance like a quartet after dinner in the district. SWA prepared a series of design studies that move from an interim function (“Uptown Is Moving”) to a permanent ppark space 
with changing programmed events.

1604915_608803287770_1864438088_n.jpg

http://swacdn.s3.amazonaws.com/1/da07cc77_theparkonsanfelipe.pdf

• Like 2

• 5 years later...

I will say they definitely need to do something to make this "park" more appealing to hang out in though...I think the only person that i have ever seen "enjoy" it was a homeless man semi camped out there one day. I wanted to warn him that this is where lots of people at Hanover walk their dogs and don't pick up their poop (the dogs, not their own) but i was riding my bike and didn't feel like stopping since i was too tired and hot to bother haha 

• Like 1

I've talked to a developer associated with that residential thats coming up next to the park. I think part of the deal is that the developer will help mold that space. It seems whoever is in charge with that park wanted the area to develop before doing whatever it is they decide to do with that park. But also it sounds a bit lazy. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, X.R. said:

I've talked to a developer associated with that residential thats coming up next to the park. I think part of the deal is that the developer will help mold that space. It seems whoever is in charge with that park wanted the area to develop before doing whatever it is they decide to do with that park. But also it sounds a bit lazy. 

Would this be on San Felipe and Post Oak Blvd? Seems to be an odd park, but can understand why they would hold off. I like the pitch in the original renders as this being an "oasis" haha. Yeah its an oasis...an oasis in a desert of parking lots.

A signature park is something that is really missing in Uptown in general. Waterwall Park could fit the bill, but its just too small, and it needs a serious refresh. Last time I visited, which was a couple months ago, it felt...dated. The waterfall is great and the trees are great. It has a lot of untapped potential.

The Lakes on Post Oak could be interesting as well, but again...dated. I also went there when I went to Waterwall Park. I was doing a photo walk with friend, and I felt so out of scale in that whole area of The Lakes on Post Oak. It was like being in a Paul Verhoven movie where its just so brutal and all the environments and buildings are over scaled. Not an inviting place.

• The title was changed to The Park On San Felipe
  • 4 months later...

A Public Notice sign went up.  A proposal has been made to name this park Martin Debrovner Park.

https://theboulevardproject.com/about/who-we-are/martin-debrovner

Martin Debrovner retired as Vice Chairman and Chief Investment Officer of Weingarten Realty Investors in 2008.  Prior to Weingarten, Martin was employed by the NASA organization and reported to the Manned Spacecraft Center.

Martin was appointed to the Uptown Houston TIRZ Board of Directors in 1999, where he has served as Chairman since its inception.

mPjXIm3.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Park On San Felipe St. At South Post Oak Ln.
  • The title was changed to The Park On San Felipe At 1702 South Post Oak Ln.
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...