Park In Bryan

Mark F. Barnes

• 2 months later...

Really? Seriously? I have nothing to do with Houston Architecture, or Bryan/College Station besides having family there, but I am related to the Bonds, Barnes', and the Gilmores and I'm sorry, this story is too ridiculus to just let it go. I registered with this site specifically to set this straight. Sure you had the general idea, but way off. First of all, yes it happened in 1957...Mark you weren't born until 1963! Bob Bond wasn't 17, he was 13, still playing little league ball at the ball park now named after him...probably the REASON they named it after HIM! And no he was not a strong swimmer, he couldn't swim! Robert Barnes was not even present that day. Forest was 26, seeing as how he had already served in the war, was married with a child and one child on the way when this happened. Their boat hit a log in the Navasota river and sank instantly. Where you got all this "limestone washout" mess I dont know. They were not wearing waders, they were all wearing thick clothing and boots since they were hunting ducks and no life jackets. The lone survivor said the boat tipped approximately 150 yards from shore and all three were wearing such thick clothing, it made it difficult to swim without sinking. Bob was found down river at 9:43pm THAT NIGHT and Forest was found the NEXT DAY, sitting on top of the boat at the bottom of the river, one boot off, the other untied. Forest was last seen trying to help young Bob Bond to shore since he COULDN'T SWIM. I'm sorry if I come off as being mean, but once I shared this "tale" with other family members like me who are related to the Bond's, Barnes', and Gilmores, they were literally fighting mad that such inaccuracies had been told. This IS a great story of Texas history, and if it weren't for my interest in my family's history, I might never have stumbled upon this post. It's just too bad Mark's story WASN'T a first-hand retelling. I was able to hear a first-hand retelling this weekend, and trust me, it was far different than what as told here. Just evidence to everyone, not to believe everything you read on the internet, many things can be untrue, and also, make sure you know enough about a story to post about it before doing so. A great tragedy did happen that day, and I was only grateful my grandfather, Jack (Forest's brother), decided not to go on that hunting trip that day, or I would've probably never known him. And p.s., Ruben Bond, who was never president of the bank, only vice-president, was Bob's UNCLE, not BROTHER. Try to remember, some people collect newspaper articles that help when the memories gap...so don't go telling lies when you never know who will read your "stories".

Really? Seriously? I have nothing to do with Houston Architecture, or Bryan/College Station besides having family there, but I am related to the Bonds, Barnes', and the Gilmores and I'm sorry, this story is too ridiculus to just let it go. I registered with this site specifically to set this straight. Sure you had the general idea, but way off. First of all, yes it happened in 1957...Mark you weren't born until 1963! Bob Bond wasn't 17, he was 13, still playing little league ball at the ball park now named after him...probably the REASON they named it after HIM! And no he was not a strong swimmer, he couldn't swim! Robert Barnes was not even present that day. Forest was 26, seeing as how he had already served in the war, was married with a child and one child on the way when this happened. Their boat hit a log in the Navasota river and sank instantly. Where you got all this "limestone washout" mess I dont know. They were not wearing waders, they were all wearing thick clothing and boots since they were hunting ducks and no life jackets. The lone survivor said the boat tipped approximately 150 yards from shore and all three were wearing such thick clothing, it made it difficult to swim without sinking. Bob was found down river at 9:43pm THAT NIGHT and Forest was found the NEXT DAY, sitting on top of the boat at the bottom of the river, one boot off, the other untied. Forest was last seen trying to help young Bob Bond to shore since he COULDN'T SWIM. I'm sorry if I come off as being mean, but once I shared this "tale" with other family members like me who are related to the Bond's, Barnes', and Gilmores, they were literally fighting mad that such inaccuracies had been told. This IS a great story of Texas history, and if it weren't for my interest in my family's history, I might never have stumbled upon this post. It's just too bad Mark's story WASN'T a first-hand retelling. I was able to hear a first-hand retelling this weekend, and trust me, it was far different than what as told here. Just evidence to everyone, not to believe everything you read on the internet, many things can be untrue, and also, make sure you know enough about a story to post about it before doing so. A great tragedy did happen that day, and I was only grateful my grandfather, Jack (Forest's brother), decided not to go on that hunting trip that day, or I would've probably never known him. And p.s., Ruben Bond, who was never president of the bank, only vice-president, was Bob's UNCLE, not BROTHER. Try to remember, some people collect newspaper articles that help when the memories gap...so don't go telling lies when you never know who will read your "stories".

WoW! So are you and Mark Barnes related?

Do you know each other? Do you get along?

This story sounds pretty interesting and I think it could be made into a movie.

We've never met, my family has only told me about him. I dont have any animosity against him in the least bit, I just wanted to set the record straight because some of the facts were untrue.

It is very interesting, this is why I went digging for more CORRECT information. I found this, asked the people who would know and that's when they told me how incorrect all of the information was. Then they pulled out the newspaper article that proved it.

• The title was changed to Park In Bryan

Archived