Addicks Reservoir Mystery Road And Cross

theoriginalkj

Very well done isuredid, how did you find those photo's?

The aerial photos are in the Texas Room at the Julia Ideson library downtown. You can also look at the TOPO maps for Addicks which shows there were several roads and a house in that area. The TOPO maps also show, what appears to be, those same circles. In the photos and satellite images it always looks like there is water in the smaller circle. That made me also think of a well and a windmill.

This is the publication about Addicks Dam archeology. Joe Ben Wheat was well know in archeological circles, so I'm sure he did a good job.

The Addicks Dam site I: An archeological survey of the Addicks Dam Basin, southeast Texas (Bulletin) (Unknown Binding)

by Joe Ben Wheat (Author)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are low spots which collected water, it is a reservoir area. I've seen it under water many times, even when cattle were still running there.

Speaking of "when cattle were still running there." The Addicks dam area was well known in the 60s and 70s as being the perfect environment for Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms. You had everything there a magic mushroom might want, readily available growing medium (cow patties) and lots of water and humidity. I used to hear about people going back in there and picking mushrooms by the grocery bag full. Those mushroom people must have been, either fearless or totally unaware that the area was spilling over with special ops, black helicopters, 18 wheelers, Chupacabras, UFO landing pads, snakes, crop circles, and ghosts. Or maybe they were part of the same larger conspiricy. Sounds plausible doesn't it? Can someone check to see if there is an X-file already open on Addicks Dam?

Bat boy spotted at Addicks Dam

Bat_Boy.gif

Speaking of "when cattle were still running there." The Addicks dam area was well known in the 60s and 70s as being the perfect environment for Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms.

Wasn't too bad in the mid to late 80's either! :wacko:

Mystery not so mysterious

I say that because I just got a closeup look at these "markings" on the newest versions of MSN's Virtual Earth, and Google Earth. Virtual Earth gives the better view because you can lower the viewing angle and get a little perspective.

I have to say that it appears the "cross" is nothing more than one row of trees crossing another. The smaller circle appears to be a clearing with a tree or some trees planted in the center.

Still unanswered is the question of why they are there, but looking at the satellite photo, it doesn't look especially mysterious.

Check it out.

Here is that area of Addicks (below) from a 1915 Topo map. The black squares represent buildings.

I've read some other stories on the web about supposed hauntings on Patterson road from the spirits of soldiers killed in some supposed Civil War battle in that area. The only problem with those stories is that there were no Civil War battles in that area or anywhere else around here other than Galveston.

Addicks_1915.jpg

This is the section to the east of the section above. The north-south road would be today's North Eldridge

hillendahl_1915.jpg

cincocirclelm6.jpg

This is another strange circle in the middle of Cinco Ranch which was at one time a working cattle ranch (or 5) So this seems to agree with the cattle ranching equipment theory. This is in no way a logical conclusion. Or it could be an alien landing pad.

cincocirclelm6.jpg

This is another strange circle in the middle of Cinco Ranch which was at one time a working cattle ranch (or 5) So this seems to agree with the cattle ranching equipment theory. This is in no way a logical conclusion. Or it could be an alien landing pad.

There are dozens of circles like this and the "cross" around the area. Look at the western side of the resevior, and you'll see many.

It's a naturaly occuring, geological formation. Florida has these all over the place too. I know it has something to do with the water table in the area, but thats all I know.

There are dozens of circles like this and the "cross" around the area. Look at the western side of the resevior, and you'll see many.

Of course !! They're old stock tanks. The formations in the Addicks reservoir and that formation in Cinco Ranch. All that area has been used to graze cattle over many years.

It's a naturaly occuring, geological formation. Florida has these all over the place too. I know it has something to do with the water table in the area, but thats all I know.

The sinkholes in Florida are caused by dissolution of limestone underlaying the surface. In the Houston area, there isn't any limestone near the surface, so the circles are caused by different processes.

• 6 months later...

Ok, remember the crazy thread on the cross in Addicks by Patterson...well I used the archival map link in the airport/288 thread and you can totally see it in the 1957. There is a road going to it and it really looks like some sort of liquid was stored. You can see depth and the cross portion apprears to be a road/walkway...there are also what apprears to be some other round tanks just SE of the cross. There is a large building to the west of the cross that looks like a farm or something...ck it out

GREASER,

I glad you started this thread! I started to bring the old one back up about a week ago, then decided not after considering the amount of flack anyone would recieve for doing so. :P

I think this does prove at least, that this formation wasn't made by a bunch of hippies in the 60's.

I've done all the research one can do from the internet, and the best guess I can make is that this used to be the location of the Bear Creek German Methodist church. Like I said though, thats only a guess.

Nothing else makes any sence.

Yet I have to wonder.....

Are we all looking at this the wrong way? Is this an "X" or a cross?

An X marking the spot of something burried for years. I'm not suggesting that there would be treasure there, but maybe a tank used as a dump by the corp durring constuction of the dam.

Regards,

Rhino

Having been out there to the formations myself, few mysteries are answered by onsite observation. The cross, not an X, is lined up on a small raised section of earth that is far to straight to be a coincidence, and I think that's obvious by the arial photos. There is a large tree in the middle of the cross that has been used as a Geocache, the old arial photos clearly predate any geocaching. The non-cross areas of the circles are currently marshy lowlands where snakes are plenty. There is a road that leads most of the way to the circles, but you definately need to leave the old roadway and snake your way through the brush to get to the circles yet. The old road-bed is long gone but the trees are parted in a way that it's obvious where the road would have been, all the way to where you divert to the circles. The low trees and brush actually get a bit too thick just past the invisible road-bed to get much further past the cut off to the circles, but I've been told that you can keep going and cross the remains of a small bridge across Maude Creek. Now that I've seen the arial historical photos and seen that there clearly was a farmhouse or other building structure north west of one of the circles, I'd like to go back out there and see if any remains are still there of the building. Nothing's visible on the current birds eye photos and satellite imagery. If anyone wants to go back out there and take a look, this is the time of year to do it. Much less mosquitos and natural thinning of the brush because of winter. Let me know if anyone wants to go out. I'm game.

GREASER,

I glad you started this thread! I started to bring the old one back up about a week ago, then decided not after considering the amount of flack anyone would recieve for doing so. :P

I think this does prove at least, that this formation wasn't made by a bunch of hippies in the 60's.

I've done all the research one can do from the internet, and the best guess I can make is that this used to be the location of the Bear Creek German Methodist church. Like I said though, thats only a guess.

Nothing else makes any sence.

Yet I have to wonder.....

Are we all looking at this the wrong way? Is this an "X" or a cross?

An X marking the spot of something burried for years. I'm not suggesting that there would be treasure there, but maybe a tank used as a dump by the corp durring constuction of the dam.

Regards,

Rhino

Ok, remember the crazy thread on the cross in Addicks by Patterson...well I used the archival map link in the airport/288 thread and you can totally see it in the 1957. There is a road going to it and it really looks like some sort of liquid was stored. You can see depth and the cross portion apprears to be a road/walkway...there are also what apprears to be some other round tanks just SE of the cross. There is a large building to the west of the cross that looks like a farm or something...ck it out

Brilliant man! I looked at the historical aerials at my own neighborhood; didn't even think of this! Good job. :D

ok...picture a tank holding something...it came time to fill it...they used the dirt from around the area to fill it to the top of the dividers or whatever those things are making the cross. Of course they are straight..they are man made. The area is marsh now because its low due to the removal of dirt to fill the area. IT would take alot of dirt to fill something that size.

if you go back, bring a shovel and dig where the cross is and you will hit something solid very quickly.

ok...picture a tank holding something...it came time to fill it...they used the dirt from around the area to fill it to the top of the dividers or whatever those things are making the cross. Of course they are straight..they are man made. The area is marsh now because its low due to the removal of dirt to fill the area. IT would take alot of dirt to fill something that size.

if you go back, bring a shovel and dig where the cross is and you will hit something solid very quickly.

Maybe they are simply earthen irrigation tanks? Looks like the surrounding area was farmland at the time. Either that or a spillway/holding area for oil or gas tanks above ground? Nothing like that seems to be visible from the pics but the 1957 view seems to show them looking very practical. For something. :huh:

good one...I wonder if that is/was a private road or not?

Best I can tell, yes it was.

I found that road on many old maps, but never a name on it.

Does anyboby know if KHOU ever did a follow up report on this?

ya know this could be nothing more that a overflow tank, or place to save water for livestock, from the water area just NE of the cross. If you look very close in the early pic there are 2 grooves in on of the bars...so when one cavity filled it would then overflow into the other..funny thing is, if you thing about it, this area could have been deserted inthe 40`s, and if the maps went back a little further their may have been a farm, slaughterhouse or anything of a rural nature.

Best I can tell, yes it was.

I found that road on many old maps, but never a name on it.

Does anyboby know if KHOU ever did a follow up report on this?

On this 1962 map of Houston hosted by my brother's website, Texas Freeway, it's referred to as "Lamb Road". Being that maps of this type only highlight major roads, I'm surprised to see Lamb Road featured even though it was never ever anything more than a 1 lane road, and likely dirt or gravel. Lamb Road led to a farm-house that you can see just north-west of both markings in old arial photography at www.historicaerials.com/.

Texas Freeway 1962 map:

http://www.texasfreeway.com/houston/histor...can_highres.jpg

As far as a follow-up report, no they didn't. I contacted Jeff McShan, a reporter with KHOU-Ch11, about these markings and he agreed to send a helicopter to film them from the air, as the satellite imagery was inconclusive and at that time, I was unable to actually FIND the markings on the ground. His arial video was very enlightening and I was very grateful that the KHOU site later posted the entire raw video of the helicopter fly-over for all of us to see...

KHOU hosted video of "cross markings".

http://www.khou.com/sharedcontent/VideoPla...7&catId=214

Kevin

Archived