Addicks Reservoir Mystery Road And Cross

theoriginalkj

What happend to Art Bell? I know at one point he lost it a few years back and decided he was feeling better and returned.

Did he finally lose it again or did the company finally get sick of him?

Well, I don't think he ever lost it, but he did have bad back problems ,

or something along those lines. He once had some problems with his son

I think, and his wife died several months ago. I'm not sure if it's true, but I

heard some story that said he was getting remarried and moving overseas

to the Phillipines, or something like that. The rumor said he was selling all

his gear in NV, and setting up to do radio shows overseas, I imagine with

an internet hookup. As many know, he's also a ham, and I hear him on the

air quite a bit. I've done a bit of digital slow scan with him and his bunch a

while back, as we were testing some "beta" Digi TV software some guy

wrote. He has been hanging out on 75 meters quite a bit at 3.840, but

he may be off the air a while if he's moving. I just dialed up that freq as

I type, and no Art....

MK

Reporting in:

The only catch appears to be that the entrance is only large enough to fit three or four cars safely. If there's too much interest in this event, we may need to organize a carpool.

In other respects, a survey of the perimeter suggests that the hike will be relatively easy and uneventful...that said, if you've got snake gaiters, bring them. I'm not the type to carry your carcass back to civilization.

I guess the main thing I would be worried about was trespassing on private

property. I don't know if that's park land, or private..I had assumed private.

I would like to take a hike down that old road with my detector though..

Might be a bust, but might catch a few old relics, if it was once fairly busy..

I just don't want to get out there and have some farmer with missing teeth come

after me with a shotgun, and tell me I've got a purty mouth... :(

MK

Anybody got a working GPS that wants to come along? Unfortunately, mine is not working.

I could borrow one...The guy I work with has one I know... I used it once to

check the speedometer on my old truck..

MK

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geeeeeezzzz, I can't believe you guys didn't know that that is where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. You didn't hear it from me though.

That spot is usually under water, so, it may be a little difficult to find.

No. This abandoned road just off Eldirge is about a 1/2 mile north of my 'mystery road' and is not apart of this threat. In my satellite photos of the area of interest, you can see the roads mentioned on texasfreeway.com just off Eldrige running north just past Patterson.

The 'mystery' road just off Eldrige south of Patterson is very small and easy to miss. It's a small gated, but NOT LOCKED gate. I did not see a no tresspassing sign last time I was there. If a gathering is being developed to go see this area, I would like to go. Maybe between all of us, we'll find these strange man-man markings.

Kevin

Well, I don't think he ever lost it, but he did have bad back problems ,

or something along those lines. He once had some problems with his son

I think, and his wife died several months ago. I'm not sure if it's true, but I

heard some story that said he was getting remarried and moving overseas

to the Phillipines, or something like that. The rumor said he was selling all

his gear in NV, and setting up to do radio shows overseas, I imagine with

an internet hookup. As many know, he's also a ham, and I hear him on the

air quite a bit. I've done a bit of digital slow scan with him and his bunch a

while back, as we were testing some "beta" Digi TV software some guy

wrote. He has been hanging out on 75 meters quite a bit at 3.840, but

he may be off the air a while if he's moving. I just dialed up that freq as

I type, and no Art....

MK

I guess the main thing I would be worried about was trespassing on private

property. I don't know if that's park land, or private..I had assumed private.

I would like to take a hike down that old road with my detector though..

Might be a bust, but might catch a few old relics, if it was once fairly busy..

I just don't want to get out there and have some farmer with missing teeth come

after me with a shotgun, and tell me I've got a purty mouth... :(

MK

I could borrow one...The guy I work with has one I know... I used it once to

check the speedometer on my old truck..

MK

No. This abandoned road just off Eldirge is about a 1/2 mile north of my 'mystery road' and is not apart of this threat. In my satellite photos of the area of interest, you can see the roads mentioned on texasfreeway.com just off Eldrige running north just past Patterson.

The 'mystery' road just off Eldrige south of Patterson is very small and easy to miss. It's a small gated, but NOT LOCKED gate. I did not see a no tresspassing sign last time I was there. If a gathering is being developed to go see this area, I would like to go. Maybe between all of us, we'll find these strange man-man markings.

Kevin

I wish I could convert this into a poll so that we could query how many people planning on showing up and when would be the best time. For now, let me just float something:

Saturday - Noon.

Any takers? I'm flexible.

I did a lot of research on this area of the reservoir yesterday. The land which holds all of our interest used to be the town of Addicks, named after the postmaster, and there were homes up and down the creeks (Langham, Mayde, Bear) in that area, and also some buildings (dating to 1850). Most homes and businesses were destroyed in the 1900 Hurricane and by 1940, with a tiny population that had moved a bit north (to Bear Creek) the Addicks Reservoir Dam and subsequent flooding destroyed any semblance of a town.

Perhaps what that is may be what some folks have outlined to be the original town markings?

It's interesting, anyway.

Addicks is actually buried in the Blue Light Cemetery.

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online...es/AA/hla4.html

http://interment.net/data/us/tx/harris/hil...l/bluelight.htm

There are several reports of hauntings on Patterson Road, both at the Langham Creek Bridge and Bear Creek Bridge. I have read that if you park your car on the Bear Creek bridge, you will hear tapping on parts of your car. :huh:

Normally, Yes, I'd be in. But this is Memorial Day weekend and me, like many others, won't be available. How about Saturday after that at the same time.

Kevin

I wish I could convert this into a poll so that we could query how many people planning on showing up and when would be the best time. For now, let me just float something:

Saturday - Noon.

WOW! I'm shocked! This tiny road was big enough to be listed on a map of THIS SCALE in the 50's?? This is certainly the exact area of this "Lamb Road". I'm looking forward to going on an expidition with others to try to find this spot. My interest is at an all time high on this.

Kevin

It looks like the road was named Lamb Road per this map from 1958 (courtesy Texas Freeway).

Also, this gives describes why you won't find Jed Clampett nearby.

Normally, Yes, I'd be in. But this is Memorial Day weekend and me, like many others, won't be available. How about Saturday after that at the same time.

Kevin

i also work this saturday. :(

maybe setting up a new topic with a poll for the timing of this outting would work?

Saturday - Noon.

saturday is no good for me, either (although i just remembered it was memorial day weekend...yay!)

There's no way this would be done at night. F**k that.. .

Kevin

i have two 2,000,000 candle watt flash lights that could come in handy! But really, I just want to go exploring/ghost hunting with fellow Haifers, the flash lights are obligation i'll piggy back on :)

Ash......did that movie come out in '62 or '64 while you were living here in Houston ? :P:lol:;)

No, I remember it came out when I was in high school in Beaumont back in the 1970s. I remember what the poster said: "This is the weekend that they didn't play golf".

Burt Reynolds had a good aim with that bow and arrow.

There's no way this would be done at night. F**k that.. .

Kevin

Why not? I think it would be much more interesting!! :) I mean, if the Jefferson Davis Hospital were in its condition 2 years ago, now, would you explore it in the day time? Where is the fun in that?!?

Besides, I would bring my camera, to capture the "orbs" and other such mysteries we might find!

So... Are we aiming for Saturday, June 3rd @ noon?? Meeting place to be determined...

Kevin

Why not? I think it would be much more interesting!! :) I mean, if the Jefferson Davis Hospital were in its condition 2 years ago, now, would you explore it in the day time? Where is the fun in that?!?

Besides, I would bring my camera, to capture the "orbs" and other such mysteries we might find!

do you know where i've photographed the most orbs,

no matter when i go? hmmm, i think i'll start a new

thread for that one... ^_^

It's a mystery similar to the "airplane runways" in the mountains of Peru.

i went by there, and it seems that a number of cars in the driveway would be very conspicuous...not sure if that's an issue, since i don't know the specifics on parking there, but still...

i went by there, and it seems that a number of cars in the driveway would be very conspicuous...not sure if that's an issue, since i don't know the specifics on parking there, but still...

while you were there, did you notice a place nearby

where we could park and then walk?

while you were there, did you notice a place nearby

where we could park and then walk?

that's the thing - eldridge (which i am not previously familar with) was terribly long and had fencing (wooden posts) up and down the entire stretch.

the closest place i could see would be to park at bear creek pioneer park (on war memorial dr.) or somewhere off of patterson - i think that either of those would be about a mile or less to the markings... :unsure:

What you need is a driver who can drop a bunch of people off with a set of walkie-talkies so he can come back and pick you up.

I can see it now.

<dream sequence>

Two vehicles come into approach to a nondescript fence. They come in quick and quickly stop.

Before the dust settles, they discharge it's cargo of men.

Doors close and the vehicles immediately drive off and disappear with the rest of the traffic.

The party quickly with only a slight hestitation hop the gate and disappear down the road and brush.

</dream sequence>

Uh-huh.

Subtle. :)

Archived