Addicks Reservoir Mystery Road And Cross

theoriginalkj

I don't have a crane to lift the 4-wheelers over the fence, is there no gate? Is this land private? I don't think I would enjoy seeing myself and fellow haifers spending a night or 2 downtown... I hope there are 2 of y'all who know how to operate such machinary... I have 3 Honda Ranchers, with manual (electronic) shift. If it private property, I suspect they wouldn't like a convoy of 4-wheelers going threw their land. let alone trespassing..... As much as I would not like to believe it, this is texas, people do have guns (including myself).

If it is private property, I suggest not to venture in. Could be very dangerous, Again; not to mention is illegal.

Unless we find out who the land owner is? But if it is some angry cult, I doubt they would want us to taint and de-flower their sacred "ritual" grounds...

Or maybe I just think about it too much?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like county property

i thought about the ATV stuff, but the gate is really crummy and most likely won't open (although it IS an ATV - one could just go around it).

i'm more of a hiker/bike, myself, though.

and i have always been curious about geocaching...must be a local group?

looks like county property

i thought about the ATV stuff, but the gate is really crummy and most likely won't open (although it IS an ATV - one could just go around it).

i'm more of a hiker/bike, myself, though.

and i have always been curious about geocaching...must be a local group?

yeah...i think geocaching would be fun. i like treasure hunts :D

i think its federal property since addicks was a corps of engineers project (but it is certainly owned by some gov't entity and not a private individual)

here is the appraisal record on the land. (notice lamb road is also noted on the appraisal district map too)

http://www.hcad.org/records/details.asp?ta...t=0450650000055

heck i need mosquito repellent in MY HOUSE they are so bad over here.

I may go out to the area this Sunday morning (June 18th) between 8-9am to TRY to find a nearly impossible to find geocache. Probably take about an 1 1/2 hrs if I go to both sites and walk around a little. If anyone is interested in walking out to the location and learning about geocaching, I could sure use an extra set of eyes to help. I think it is about a 15-20 minute walk to get there if I remember right. Send me an email if you're interested and we'll figure out where to meet before hand, but probably meet up at bear creek park by where the buffaloes are caged and just take one or two cars, depending on how many folks want to go.

The G-Team

I may go out to the area this Sunday morning (June 18th) between 8-9am to TRY to find a nearly impossible to find geocache. Probably take about an 1 1/2 hrs if I go to both sites and walk around a little. If anyone is interested in walking out to the location and learning about geocaching, I could sure use an extra set of eyes to help. I think it is about a 15-20 minute walk to get there if I remember right. Send me an email if you're interested and we'll figure out where to meet before hand, but probably meet up at bear creek park by where the buffaloes are caged and just take one or two cars, depending on how many folks want to go.

The G-Team

I'm in. This Saturday works even better for me than Sunday, but I can do both.

Kevin

i am looking for the rest of my damn books (still boxed from moving) because the two

books i did find were only on the circles in britain, which usually have stones. the cross

section points to a rise of the moon (or other celestial thing) on a solstice.

when i was driving back from schulenburg to houston on I-10 there was a huge moonrise

and it got me thinking about it again. which way was the cross on the circle pointing?

since i was not at (or near) the site, i have no idea what lines up with anything, i guess

with some time and measuring with the satellite photos, i could make a convincing

argument.

i checked on-line and there is actually a solstice coming up on the 21st.

i tried to make some screen captures of the helicopter footage to make a few points

about the shape and change in grass/elevation within the circle but the program i use

to do this is adding some sort of mask to the actual image within the news station's

framing/panel. which got a bit frustrating.

if any you you fellas go, with those fancy GPS things... could you please, post or PM

the exact direction that the cross is pointing (both directions or the perpendicular lines)?

i would appreciate it and would use the info to show whether there are any similarities

or not in other circles or directions of the moon/sun rise, etc .

Looks like it is suppose to rain all weekend so I may put off going out there until next weekend or the weekend after. So far only one brave soul has offered to come along, but maybe the following weekend is better for folks since it won't be Father's Day.

Mike

Looks like it is suppose to rain all weekend so I may put off going out there until next weekend or the weekend after. So far only one brave soul has offered to come along, but maybe the following weekend is better for folks since it won't be Father's Day.

Mike

:) seems like a good idea.

more folks could go then. :ph34r:

I checked an aerial photo of this area taken in 1985. The circles were there in 1985 and look the same as they appear in the aerial photo from 2006 shown above. Someone must be maintaining them.

Yes, exactly. They are on satellite and topographic maps well over 2 decades. old. The grass in the KHOU video shows weeds and grass that are obviously not representative of sod that hasn't seen humans in decades. Somebody is obiously maintaining them - but how? How do you get any type of lawn maintenance gear back there? Hell - it's hard enough to get a human body there, much less lawn equipment.

Kevin

if any you you fellas go, with those fancy GPS things... could you please, post or PM

the exact direction that the cross is pointing (both directions or the perpendicular lines)?

i would appreciate it and would use the info to show whether there are any similarities

or not in other circles or directions of the moon/sun rise, etc .

Bringing the image up on Google Earth and placing it under the compass, the long portion of the cross runs from southwest to northeast (N45E)... within 10 deg. The line is not real straight.

Is this what you're looking for?

hmmm.... now that i think of it. i'm still reading up on my texas

history but there were a few indian tribes in the area. could they

be small burial or ceremonial mounds? i know there is a cross on

one but geometric lines are common on such things.

i used to be really interested in archaeoastronomy, some people

think of stonhenge or other monoliths stones outright but it

also includes the study of astronomy before the telescope and

other types of structures used to record the calendar for religious

and planting seasons... like stonehenge, burial mounds or land

depressions.

the mound sort of thing is well represented here --- and more

common in our area than stone ones.

someone said previously that these circles are depressions?

how large are they?

trees and vegetation (other than grass) do not grow on the

mounds/depressions due to a layer of solids or mineral debris

added when the land was changed.

"trees and vegetation (other than grass) do not grow on the

added when the land was changed."

I think Torvald said it correctly here. There are no trees and not much large vegetation due to the nature of the environment and not to human interaction, ie big weedeater. When you see them in person, you see that they are depressions and have similar characteristics as retention ponds here in Houston - no trees and not much of anything else except water and grasses that grow in this type of environment. But they do appear to be man-made. The mound looks like all the dirt from around it was piled high in the center (thereby creating a depression around the mound where the dirt use to be). Same thing with the cross. THe cross looks like it is created by piling up dirt from the surrounding area thereby creating the 4 quadrant depression with the cross.

"trees and vegetation (other than grass) do not grow on the

added when the land was changed."

I think Torvald said it correctly here. There are no trees and not much large vegetation due to the nature of the environment and not to human interaction, ie big weedeater. When you see them in person, you see that they are depressions and have similar characteristics as retention ponds here in Houston - no trees and not much of anything else except water and grasses that grow in this type of environment. But they do appear to be man-made. The mound looks like all the dirt from around it was piled high in the center (thereby creating a depression around the mound where the dirt use to be). Same thing with the cross. THe cross looks like it is created by piling up dirt from the surrounding area thereby creating the 4 quadrant depression with the cross.

maybe thats why it reminds me of a henge. i couldn't think the name before (i still can't find my damn books!)

"A henge is a roughly circular or oval-shaped flat area enclosed and delimited by a boundary earthwork usually a ditch

with an external bank. Henges were constructed by scraping soil from the centre of the circle to form a ridge all around."

they can be small

they can be large

they don't have stones, those are stone-henges. i'm not saying these are ancient but it seems to be made in the same way.

Its a little early to predict what the weather will be, but a trip out to the pagan cross might be in order this saturday at 8am. Anyone interested in meeting at bear creek park to make the trip together? Again, I will be looking for a very sneaky geocache as well so I'll need your help.

PS. It'll probably not be cold outside.

The G-Team

Its a little early to predict what the weather will be, but a trip out to the pagan cross might be in order this saturday at 8am. Anyone interested in meeting at bear creek park to make the trip together? Again, I will be looking for a very sneaky geocache as well so I'll need your help.

PS. It'll probably not be cold outside.

The G-Team

I'm in.

Kevin

I have been following this thread for a while and I would love to go as well but I have family in town this week. If your trip falls through then let me know and I will try to go on a future trip. But just a suggestion. It migt be best if we waited till the cooler weather come in so the wild life will not be so active. And wear tall rubber boots and watch for snakes and spiders. But I so do want to go.

"The G-Team" and I just got back from going to see the Addicks cross markings. The mosquitos were out in incredible numbers, like a trail of smoke walking behind us everywhere we went. We went first to the cross. We saw a number of copperhead snakes out and about. There was a prominent hill of earth surrounding the circle of the cross which was interesting. I could not see that on the GoogleEarth imagery or the KHOU video. The hill was apparently keeping the water inside the circle, which may explain the lack of vegetation and or trees on this part. The circle of raised earth appeared to be man-made but no evidence why. The cross itself is also raised earth and straight enough to be clearly man-made but no explanation why. The cross middle was even slightly higher earth and contained a Geocache. The dome section was surrounded by raised earth as well. The "dome" in the middle was raised earth by about 3 full feet higher than the surrounding area and contained one large tree, also with a Geocache in it. The area inside each feature was extremely muddy and likely stays that way for most of the year because of the large earthen hill surrounding both of them. It's my opinion that because of the raised dirt surrounding the structures, that the soil inside the structures remains far to moist for the normal trees and vegetation that's outside of the. Hence the year after year of continued difference of soil and growth. There is clearly no way to get any type of lawn maintenance gear out there to keep the weeds low. We could barely get ourselves out there, much less any lawn equipment. Lamb Road is completely and totally overgrown. There are baby pine trees throughout the "road" that would prevent probably even a Hummer from getting far. I will try to post some pictures from my digital camera in the coming days.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
"The G-Team" and I just got back from going to see the Addicks cross markings. ... I will try to post some pictures from my digital camera in the coming days.

Kevin

So... Pics? *bump*

So... Pics? *bump*

Here's the pictures I promised...

IMG_4079.JPG

This is taken from the "corner" of one of the crosses arms, toward the forest edge

IMG_4081.JPG

Taken from forest edge, toward one of the crosses arms

IMG_4083.JPG

Up the main "head" of the cross, showing the thickness of the vegeation line

IMG_4085.JPG

From the forest edge of the "dome" marking, looking in to the tree in the middle of the dome

IMG_4086.JPG

This was the "Ground" of the "dome" marking....

IMG_4089.JPG

This is the "dome" itself. It's just a small but very smooth and perfectly round hill.

I still firmly believe that somebody MADE this area be what it is a long time ago and the ecosystem around it hasn't changed much. While the cross, from the ground, is not very impressable, it's clear to me that tree's don't just line themselves up this way. There was a 'hill' surrounding both clearings that appears to be keeping both clearings in a semi-marsh state, which may explain why the trees around it don't grow here - they aren't full-time water frendly species of trees. The dome is far too perfectly round and smooth to be an accident, and the large tree is in the very middle.

Kevin

Here's the pictures I promised...

IMG_4079.JPG

This is taken from the "corner" of one of the crosses arms, toward the forest edge

IMG_4081.JPG

Taken from forest edge, toward one of the crosses arms

IMG_4083.JPG

Up the main "head" of the cross, showing the thickness of the vegeation line

IMG_4085.JPG

From the forest edge of the "dome" marking, looking in to the tree in the middle of the dome

IMG_4086.JPG

This was the "Ground" of the "dome" marking....

IMG_4089.JPG

This is the "dome" itself. It's just a small but very smooth and perfectly round hill.

I still firmly believe that somebody MADE this area be what it is a long time ago and the ecosystem around it hasn't changed much. While the cross, from the ground, is not very impressable, it's clear to me that tree's don't just line themselves up this way. There was a 'hill' surrounding both clearings that appears to be keeping both clearings in a semi-marsh state, which may explain why the trees around it don't grow here - they aren't full-time water frendly species of trees. The dome is far too perfectly round and smooth to be an accident, and the large tree is in the very middle.

Kevin

I wonder if there could be a nudist colony somewhere around there?

It is apparent Kevin, that the perfectly smooth and round hill you are standing on, is the top of an alien spacecraft buried underneath. All you had to do was dig a little and you would have found it. Possible some "nudists" also. I am still trying to figure that one out from Ashkiga.

It is apparent Kevin, that the perfectly smooth and round hill you are standing on, is the top of an alien spacecraft buried underneath. All you had to do was dig a little and you would have found it. Possible some "nudists" also. I am still trying to figure that one out from Ashkiga.

Nudists usually practice their lifestyle in secluded places. The photos show a secluded place.

Hi Kevin. I just found your posting and wanted to comment. I agree that those pictures are very strange. I have lived near that area all my life but have never noticed a road there, much less anything that could explain that weird ariel shot. Coming from I-10 is this before or after War Memorial? As far as "blue light cemetery" goes though, I have heard all the stories from relatives about going to see the strange blue lights and the supposed haunting. However, after a little research, I found that the blue lights are actually being emmitted from rocks. "The stones contain Laboradorite which at certain Sun or Moonlight angles causes a blue glow."...or so I read.

I also read that the blue lights come from "fox fire, or swamp gas, which is said to cover this thick forest on occasion.". I would be intersted to know if you ever find out anything on the mysterious circles.

Hi Kevin. I just found your posting and wanted to comment. I agree that those pictures are very strange. I have lived near that area all my life but have never noticed a road there, much less anything that could explain that weird ariel shot. Coming from I-10 is this before or after War Memorial? As far as "blue light cemetery" goes though, I have heard all the stories from relatives about going to see the strange blue lights and the supposed haunting. However, after a little research, I found that the blue lights are actually being emmitted from rocks. "The stones contain Laboradorite which at certain Sun or Moonlight angles causes a blue glow."...or so I read.

I also read that the blue lights come from "fox fire, or swamp gas, which is said to cover this thick forest on occasion.". I would be intersted to know if you ever find out anything on the mysterious circles.

Lamb road is off Eldridge Parkway about a mile north of I-10. The road leads west going toward Langham Creek, which is back in the forest area. The Blue Light Cemetary is north of Patterson road, just northwest of Patterson and Eldridge, or a relatively short walking distance from these markings. Yes, the blue lights are emmitted from rocks. On the same morning of the markings visit, I visited the Blue Light Cemetary and there was absolutely nothing to see. Just a year or so ago some gravestones were still there and the area had weed overgrowth of only about a foot or so high. This last time the overgrowth was well over 4 feet high and no sign of the gravestones anywhere. Perhaps they have all been removed or stolen once and for all. There appears to be no Blue Light Cemetary any more.

My quest over the circles is over. The area in person is very very unappealing and not much to see. It's only the sight from the sky and air that is quite amazing.

Kevin

Now that it sounds like the quest for answers is over I am going to make suggestion. I thought this would have been obvious to SOMEONE. If I had any REAL interest in this area I would have done it myself, but I don't.

Call the Army Corp of Engineers field office for the reservior and ask them. I can promise you a very detailed survey was done of that area before the levees were built, that is why they show on the topos.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they built the areas to screw with peoples minds. Hey...it worked!

Now that it sounds like the quest for answers is over I am going to make suggestion. I thought this would have been obvious to SOMEONE. If I had any REAL interest in this area I would have done it myself, but I don't.

Call the Army Corp of Engineers field office for the reservior and ask them. I can promise you a very detailed survey was done of that area before the levees were built, that is why they show on the topos.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they built the areas to screw with peoples minds. Hey...it worked!

I just got off the phone the corp of engineers. They said, "yes, we surveyed the area....indeed there is a small spacecraft buried under the hill, but we're trying to keep it hush hush".

I promised I wouldn't tell anyone what they told me, but I lied.

I just got off the phone the corp of engineers. They said, "yes, we surveyed the area....indeed there is a small spacecraft buried under the hill, but we're trying to keep it hush hush".

I promised I wouldn't tell anyone what they told me, but I lied.

As a news reporter back in the 60s and 70s, I remember stories about hippie flower children going off in the woods outside the city and holding weird drug induced parties and rituals.

I remember one of the groups was made up of super religious "Jesus Freaks", and they held religious ceremonies out in the country where they knew no one would bother them. In the 60s and 70s, the Addicks Reservoir was miles from the city limits, and it was about as isolated a spot as anybody could ask for. The Katy Freeway hadn't even been paved out that far, and Old Katy Road was the way west if you were going to San Antonio. Eldridge Parkway was many years in the future. Bear Creek Park was there but it was far to the north of this spot, and much smaller than it is today.

I'm saying we shouldn't be surprised to see -- 35 years later -- signs of an earthen cross are still visible in a spot like this. I'm guessing this is a remnant of a group of Jesus Freaks.

Archived