University of Houston Clear Lake Campus

CKB71

Cool. We used to mountain bike back in there. There were some decent trails and lots of deer.

That was until the Fern War of 1993-94. There was supposedely a protected fern back there and the tree huggers booby trapped the place.

LOL you said "booby"

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to UHCL for the very first time last month, I was astonished. It was the most beautiful college campus I've seen. When I was there, one of the deer was standing right at the roadside grazing, it would've been a perfect photo op. I couldn't believe I was still in Houston City Limits.

I couldn't believe I was still in Houston City Limits.

You might have actually been inside the City of Pasadena.

The north end of UHCL is in Pasadena...south end is in Houston. Armand Bayou is the boundary between the two cities at the UHCL campus.

I think some of Armand Bayou Nature Preserve is also in Pasadena.

It drives many "Clear Lake" residents crazy to have to admit they live in Pasadena. One of my cousins who grew up in Deer Park is one of them. Can you imagine a former Deer Park Deer having to move to Pasadena?!? Scandalous... :o

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UHCL has been good to me. I like the "secluded research facility" feel to it. But I also like the more urban feel of the main campus. Eitherway, I look at it as family, both of them (I took some electives at main campus and transfered them over- both universities are in my blood). Anyways, I did both my undergraduate and graduate work there, most of it night school. There is something about getting out of class at 10:00pm that makes you feel like you are in some kinda' endless journey - it makes you feel "hard core". And it was a journey - 7 years for undergraduate, 5.5 years for graduate. What was special was I could actually go drink a beer or three in the bayou building (there was a bar in there during the 80's and 90's), and proceed to show up drunk for numerical analysis, never having to leave the building (Dr. Feagin was his name. Very intelligent. Large forehead). There is nothing quite as refreshing as being buzzed while doing "Runge kutta's". It enabled me to see the approximations.

When I went to UHCL for the very first time last month, I was astonished. It was the most beautiful college campus I've seen. When I was there, one of the deer was standing right at the roadside grazing, it would've been a perfect photo op. I couldn't believe I was still in Houston City Limits.

A duck used to peck at me around where the bayou is. It was always there. I would sit at one of the picknic tables trying to study. It was quite aggressive and confident. So I went back to just going to the library.

• 1 year later...

http://blogs.chron.com/bayarea/archives/20...e.html#comments

So when I heard the school could be expanding to a four-year university, I was intrigued.

UH-Clear Lake Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Carl Stockton filled me in on the process that began last July, and his hopes of adding freshman and sophomore level courses. He also told me the UH System Board of Regents approved the proposal last Wednesday.

Said Stockton:

For the community, the benefit is that we'd be able to reach out to more students. The number of high school students in Texas will increase my 25 % between now and 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

I think they should change their name so as to not compete with the main UH and to clip UH Downtown from their coattails.

Early suggestions?

University of Houston-Annexationville

University of Houston Beltway

University of Houston Not Downtown Nor Main Campus

University of Houston Brownwater

• 2 years later...

In addition to its junior/senior-level curriculum, as well as its various master's programs, UHCL will now offer courses to freshmen/sophomores.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasadena/news/article_13e16a88-f9cd-5e53-8317-ba918ef5f808.html

I still think the name of the various UH campuses should be changed. The main campus could be called the University of Houston, while other schools could be called something like Houston City University (UHD), Victoria State (UHV) and (now) Clear Lake University (UHCL). I think this would benefit each school's branding and also combat the perception that Houston is lacking in its college scene.

...and also combat the perception that Houston is lacking in its college scene.

I agree in that aspect.

At the same time, I'm sure UH doesn't want to get rid of their name in the colleges b/c then UH doesn't seem as big and powerful, and that's what they want.

I agree in that aspect.

At the same time, I'm sure UH doesn't want to get rid of their name in the colleges b/c then UH doesn't seem as big and powerful, and that's what they want.

It's just perception, so I can't disagree outright - but I think that the other schools 'pull down' the main campus in its quest to become a top tier institution. These aren't satellite campuses of the same entity; they're distinct institutions with distinct missions. It may have been different in the past, but I don't think the majority of the target demographic for the main campus is the same as that of UHD, UHV or UHCL. There's some crossover, for sure, but I think they're moving away from each other.

That's also not a comment on UH vs UHD/UHV/UHCL. I think each campus has begun - over the past 10-15 years - to develop a distinct identity for itself relative to the others. I also happen to think that's a really good thing.

• 2 months later...
Guest homeowner

In addition to its junior/senior-level curriculum, as well as its various master's programs, UHCL will now offer courses to freshmen/sophomores.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasadena/news/article_13e16a88-f9cd-5e53-8317-ba918ef5f808.html

I still think the name of the various UH campuses should be changed. The main campus could be called the University of Houston, while other schools could be called something like Houston City University (UHD), Victoria State (UHV) and (now) Clear Lake University (UHCL). I think this would benefit each school's branding and also combat the perception that Houston is lacking in its college scene.

This should be good for the state!

Regards,

Sarah

• The title was changed to University of Houston Clear Lake Campus

Archived