Best Burger Places In Houston

Sparkle burgers are outstanding! Niche might disagree, but I think they're better than Champ Burger, and that's saying something.

I wouldn't know. I haven't tried Sparkle yet. Attica's description of the patties as an inch thick certainly got my attention, though.

I know this is a burger thread, but I've been told about a giant bacon chili dog at a new place called Ray's, next door to Last Concert. I may have to abstain from food for a couple of days so I can check it out. I agree with Sev--if you're going to do it, aim high!

I think we have the makings for the next Happy Hour, here.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been meaning to try the Ray's hot dog place. Its in a spot that was previously some kind of Chinese or Vietnamese place of which I don't remember the name of. I just noticed that it changed to Ray's about 2 weeks ago and I've been meaning to make a trip. B4Ueat shows good reports so far.

i saw some blonde headed girls out there on friday when i drove by.....i could tell they were uncomfortable yet trying to be hip. i'll bet they have a food blog.

Your troll is tiresome and boring. Is this still what we're all picking on? Should food bloggers join some sort of internet-hate support group (which I imagine to be administered by furries...)?

Your troll is tiresome and boring. Is this still what we're all picking on? Should food bloggers join some sort of internet-hate support group (which I imagine to be administered by furries...)?

guilt by association perhaps? by all means seek help if you need it.

I love food bloggers. If there are some out there who don't know what they are talking about, you'll quickly discover that and can go elsewhere. But when you find one that knows what they're doing, it's as good as gold.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the burgers at Guy's Meat Market on OST. I wish I had one right now. :wub:

Damn...I thought I'd mentioned them on this thread already. I didn't want to become known as the Guy's Pimp, because I know I've mentioned them in several places on HAIF.

I just had a Guy's burger last week. It's a rare treat for me, since I work on the west side of town, and I'm not often home around lunch time during the week.

I do have to second Robb Walsh's recommendation for the Guy's burger: cheeseburger, with bbq sauce, jalapenos and onions. No lettuce/tomato/mustard/mayo. It's too messy with everything else.

It's definitely not your typical burger, but it's a tasty treat...at a nearly historic business. Guy's Market has been in business for 71 years, 51 years at the OST/Yellowstone location.

• 10 months later...

After seeing this article a few weeks ago, I had to check out Hubcap at 1111 Prairie:

Chron article on Hubcap Grill

Its only open from 11-3pm Monday-Saturday, I don't work downtown so we went on Saturday around 12:15. We had to wait 10 minutes to get in, then another 30 for our burger. Its a pretty small joint, the owner stands outside and only lets people in to order and find a seat. After 1 when we were wrapping up, the line was over a block long outside and he mentioned they were running out of fries. He said things had gotten kinda nuts after a few articles came out. Hopefully they will be able to handle it.

Anyways, the important part: the burger was amazing. I had a bbq burger, but there were several others I want to go back and try. My gf doesn't eat beef and had a chicken sandwich, which was really good as well. Everything all fresh, homemade bread, amazing handcut fries.

They also have a mobile truck they just opened, I think its out at Liberty Station on Washington at night.

Hubcap Grill site

(unfortunately the site is down when I tried it this morning)

• 1 month later...

Lot's of great suggestions in this thread so far. One that hasn't been mentioned and is a particular favorite of mine is Texas Hamburger Palace.

If you live or work in west Houston you have to try it. Get their bacon cheeseburger, you won't be sorry. There is literally more bacon than burger.

It's on a street called Ranchester, just south of Richmond and inside BW8.

For you burger fans, this is a great website to check out:

http://www.texasburgerguy.com/

• 4 months later...

We went to The Counter (on Washington) yesterday. I rate it ok, nothing better. The concept is great with the menu options, I just don't like it when a burger place tries to be too fancy. And they did the one thing that always turns me off, butter the bun. As unhealthy as I usually prefer food to be, buttering a hamburger bun just isn't right. It takes away from the taste of the patty and leaves me with a bad taste at the end.

I had a buger from Bernie's Burger Bus this weekend and it was a glorious sloppy mess. My burger of choice was The Principal with cheddar cheese, applewood smoked bacon and a fried egg. Everything is scratch made right down to the ketchup. Before starting the bus the chef/ower was the personal chef for Shane Battier. You can find the bus at Inversion Coffee on Montrose on Wednesdays 11-2 and at Lizard's Pub on the weekends.

img1394zm.jpg

img1395g.jpg

http://www.berniesburgerbus.com/

Since I haven't contributed yet:

Pete's Fine Meats, out on 5509 Richmond Avenue. They have AWESOME selections of beef jerky, if you're into that as well.

Of course, I love Bubba's Buffalo Burger Shack on 5230 Westpark Drive is pretty damned good.

Natachee's. I recently tried they buffalo burger (just started a diet, so I had to behave) and I have to say, it was pretty damned good. Hopefully this place will survive. 3622 Main Street

Spec's Midtown: Surprisingly, I stumbled across this a couple of years ago and was startled they had burgers. Being curious about the burgers, I ordered one and was amazed on how good they are and have been back several times since then.

so, so many places to try!!!

Sparkle rocks... Christian's Totem is great... i haven't been to Champ Burger in almost 20 years.

When I start jonesing for an In N Out Burger, instead of flying to LA, I go to Five Guys- it's pretty much an In N Out ripoff... lol

A lot of people are posting great multiple burger places.

but if you could only have one final burger before your tumultuous end,

Where would you get it from and what would be on it?

The Christian's Tailgate (Totem location) burger with the chicken-fried bacon on it.

The Christian's Tailgate (Totem location) burger with the chicken-fried bacon on it.

agreed with that. and after you eat that burger, the tumultuous end that is spoken of would probably be a coronary caused from eating the burger itself.

death incarnate and worth every drippy bite.

I hate to give up a local secret, but my "Last Burger" would have to be from Shandy's (Westcott and Memorial) between a liquor store and valero. "Spinach Artichoke Turkey Burger" w/roasted tomatoes. I know it sounds a little gourmet, but it's worth a shot and it has a super local feel to it and she was there before all of the new stuff came to the area.

Luv It!

i will echo the sentiments on bernie's burger bus... absolutely top notch burger in every possible way. juicy and beefy patty, fantastic toppings, handmade everything including the fries and condiments. and it sets up shop at my local watering hole (lizzards) fri and sat nights :wub:

also, on the recommendation of allison cook, i stopped by ninfa's on nav yesterday to try the fajita burger..... HOLY flurf. perhaps the best burger i can recall having. the juicy ground beef had chunks of chargrilled fajita bits in it and it blew my freakin' mind. topped w gooey white mexican cheese, grilled and seasoned red onion and avacado slices, it was an other-worldly burger experience. just another reason why NoN is the bomb.

• 2 months later...

According to Travel+Leisure readers, Houston ranks as the best city in the country to get a burger.

Link to the start of the list: http://www.traveland...burger-cities/1

Here's what they say about Houston:

It turns out that bigger does mean better for AFC voters, and this oil town takes the prize for putting a Texas-size spin on the American classic. Double-patty, half-pound burgers are the norm here, topped with shredded lettuce and mustard more often than mayo. Some local favorites—such as Lankford Grocery and the Hubcap Grill—also offer triple-patty versions, with upwards of a full pound of beef.

Austin shows up at #5.

Archived