Best Burger Places In Houston

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love a good greasy burger at Blancos, along with a side of cheese fries! Mmmmm!

Blancos only serves food on the week days I think, and its primary function is a country western bar. Its located near the NW corner of Buffalo Speedway and West Alabama.

I'm amazed nobody has brought up Champ Burger on Sampson, about a mile east of downtown. They make a killer bacon cheeseburger. They use a heaping mound of nice thick juicy bacon, too, giving the burger an unbeatable mouthfeel--assuming you can get your mouth around it. Get a side of onion rings. You won't regret it.

There's a taco trailer on Canal east of Lockwood that makes their standard cheeseburger with a slice of pan fried ham, avocado, and green salsa, with buns that are practically basted in grease. It's pretty darn good. For a side, they give you a cup of beans dripping in bacon fat; by mass, the beans are mostly just juice, and if you eat the beans and let the cup sit for any amount of time, it jells up solid. Needless to say, there's good flavor there.

I haven't tried Sparkle's but apparently it needs to go on my list. Also in the East End, John's Boiler Burger is kind of a disappointment. There's nothing wrong with it except that it is garden variety stuff at Champ Burger pricing.

When I worked off of the North Loop years ago, Roznovsky's was a twice-per-week pilgrimage. Miller's was a little further and was more expensive, but quality was better; they have a location in Smith Tower in the Texas Medical Center, too, and it is relatively faithful to the original. Someburger was worth going to every once in a while to provide variety, and they do remind me of Champ Burger, except that Champ is better managed, gives better portions, doesn't take as long, and has a nice well-landscaped outdoor patio area.

Bubba's is OK, but doesn't stand up to its reputation. Bellaire Boiler Burger is awesome.

Two medium-to-high-priced burger places I like are Southwell's and the Cliff's on Fountainview.

I like Skeeters (there is one at Gulfgate now) or Annies (S. Post Oak)...there was one I went to with friends from work, was an old little hamburger shack, off MLK, I think...one of the best burgers I ever ate came from there, but don't know the name, may be the one you guys are talking about, above posts.

I like Skeeters (there is one at Gulfgate now) or Annies (S. Post Oak)...there was one I went to with friends from work, was an old little hamburger shack, off MLK, I think...one of the best burgers I ever ate came from there, but don't know the name, may be the one you guys are talking about, above posts.

I always mean to check out Annie's, but I always forget when it comes time to go somewhere...

Was the place on MLK near 610? It might have been Burger Park.

There is (was?) also a Burgers n More at Reed Rd.

I always mean to check out Annie's, but I always forget when it comes time to go somewhere...

Was the place on MLK near 610? It might have been Burger Park.

There is (was?) also a Burgers n More at Reed Rd.

Don't know, will ask my friend new time I talk to her. Wasn't too close to 610, may be closer to 288...not a fancy place, had an order at the window, and a walk in room. May have had red? poles, outside, looked like it could have been an ice cream place, a long time ago. Sound familiar to anyone?

I like your list Albert.

Any old timers remember a place in the Village called Burgerville? My mouth would start watering just at the thought of getting a burger there. I practically lived off those burgers for a while. I don't know why it was so good. Wasn't anything fancy but man were they good. :P

Any old timers remember a place in the Village called Burgerville?

It was Burgerville #2. Whether a Burgerville #1 ever existed, and what became of it if so, is one of those nagging questions that no one I've talked to has ever been able to answer.

It was Burgerville #2. Whether a Burgerville #1 ever existed, and what became of it if so, is one of those nagging questions that no one I've talked to has ever been able to answer.

LOL. Your right. It was #2. I remember inquiring about #1 and seems like they told me they closed it shortly after opening the one in the Village but never bothered to change the menu or the sign. To bad there was no #3.

• 3 weeks later...
Isn't Roznovskys still there? TC Jester & 34th

I second the vote for the cheeseburger at Miller Cafe on Shepard.

Roznovsky's is still there but I wouldn't recommend it. Thin, frozen patty, not juicy, and nothing special at all. May as well go to McDonalds. I live down the street, and try it every so often but finally gave up.

• 2 weeks later...
Which places are ideal for family members (with wheelchair accessibility) and which places are ideal for friends in their 20s?

I went to beer and burgers joint outside of Houston and it was more like a truck stop than anything else. The people were friendly but the only seats available were bar stools! :lol:

Thanks

Try Pappys for burgers, they are on I10 feeder road going east between Echo Lane and Voss. Great burgers, at a fair price. Buns are to die for. It is a good not well known place, sort of out of site with the elevated I10 post construction. It is a little congested and small so a wheelchair would have to navigate carefully but it will work fine. I hightly recommend it for Burgers or most anything else on the menu. It is a casual eating place in town but more upscale they the ones you mentioned. Give it a try.

Which places are ideal for family members (with wheelchair accessibility) and which places are ideal for friends in their 20s?

I went to beer and burgers joint outside of Houston and it was more like a truck stop than anything else. The people were friendly but the only seats available were bar stools! :lol:

Thanks

Not only does Sam's Deli Diner fill all of those requirements, it has the best burgers in town without question.

They're in a new location now on Wilcrest at I-10 but their burgers are as good as ever. My personal favorite is the jalapeno cheeseburger and a mint chocolate shake (made with Blue Bell ice cream, natch!). Give them a shot and you'll be hooked. :wub:

Not only does Sam's Deli Diner fill all of those requirements, it has the best burgers in town without question.

They're in a new location now on Wilcrest at I-10 but their burgers are as good as ever. My personal favorite is the jalapeno cheeseburger and a mint chocolate shake (made with Blue Bell ice cream, natch!). Give them a shot and you'll be hooked. :wub:

I used to work near their original location. Its passable, but I wasn't all that impressed, really, and only went a few times.

Their double bacon cheeseburger with a side of onion rings doesn't hold a candle to Champ Burger.

• 6 months later...

We went to Miller's on Shepherd today, it was decent. Same griddle-cooked, poppy-seed bun style as both Bubba's, must be a Texas thing.

I did go to Amazon recently, their burger is still awesome. There and Beck's are my places right now. My problem is I like grill-cooked, not griddle, and most places don't do that. So please tell me about some places that use fire that I don't know about!

I'm amazed nobody has brought up Champ Burger on Sampson, about a mile east of downtown. They make a killer bacon cheeseburger. They use a heaping mound of nice thick juicy bacon, too, giving the burger an unbeatable mouthfeel--assuming you can get your mouth around it. Get a side of onion rings. You won't regret it.

There's a taco trailer on Canal east of Lockwood that makes their standard cheeseburger with a slice of pan fried ham, avocado, and green salsa, with buns that are practically basted in grease. It's pretty darn good. For a side, they give you a cup of beans dripping in bacon fat; by mass, the beans are mostly just juice, and if you eat the beans and let the cup sit for any amount of time, it jells up solid. Needless to say, there's good flavor there.

I haven't tried Sparkle's but apparently it needs to go on my list. Also in the East End, John's Boiler Burger is kind of a disappointment. There's nothing wrong with it except that it is garden variety stuff at Champ Burger pricing.

When I worked off of the North Loop years ago, Roznovsky's was a twice-per-week pilgrimage. Miller's was a little further and was more expensive, but quality was better; they have a location in Smith Tower in the Texas Medical Center, too, and it is relatively faithful to the original. Someburger was worth going to every once in a while to provide variety, and they do remind me of Champ Burger, except that Champ is better managed, gives better portions, doesn't take as long, and has a nice well-landscaped outdoor patio area.

Bubba's is OK, but doesn't stand up to its reputation. Bellaire Boiler Burger is awesome.

Two medium-to-high-priced burger places I like are Southwell's and the Cliff's on Fountainview.

Whoa... I've got to find this Taco trailer!! Second vote for Sparkle Burger here. For a more generic taste (but still quite good) I go for Prince's

Whoa... I've got to find this Taco trailer!! Second vote for Sparkle Burger here. For a more generic taste (but still quite good) I go for Prince's

I did Lankford Grocery for the first time yesterday for lunch. It was out-freakin'-standing. But, judging by this thread, there are even better joints in town. I think Sparkle is definitely going to be a lunch destination some time next week. Any other recommendations out west, more in the Memorial City vicinity, as I office over here (aside from Beck's Prime)?

After all these years I finally made it to Annie's. I liked the simple setup and the burger was good for the price (I had the double with bacon and cheese - if I'm going to try something, I'm going to go all out and get the largest on the menu!).

If your on the west side try Moore’s Doublehorn Grill in Fulshear. Off 1093 near 359. I hadn't eaten there in a while before stopping in last Monday and had forgotten just how good they are. Great burgers and onion rings. Worth the 5 minute drive off of I-10 if your heading to or from out of town. 

If your on the west side try Moore’s Doublehorn Grill in Fulshear. Off 1093 near 359. I hadn't eaten there in a while before stopping in last Monday and had forgotten just how good they are. Great burgers and onion rings. Worth the 5 minute drive off of I-10 if your heading to or from out of town.

I don't know if I could justify the time to myself for that length of journey. Whew... I went to Sparkle for lunch today... Had somebody told me beforehand the patties were an inch thick I wouldn't have attempted the double. This is a burger that beat me. I could not finish it.

Sparkle burgers are outstanding! Niche might disagree, but I think they're better than Champ Burger, and that's saying something.

I know this is a burger thread, but I've been told about a giant bacon chili dog at a new place called Ray's, next door to Last Concert. I may have to abstain from food for a couple of days so I can check it out. I agree with Sev--if you're going to do it, aim high!

Sparkle burgers are outstanding! Niche might disagree, but I think they're better than Champ Burger, and that's saying something.

I know this is a burger thread, but I've been told about a giant bacon chili dog at a new place called Ray's, next door to Last Concert. I may have to abstain from food for a couple of days so I can check it out. I agree with Sev--if you're going to do it, aim high!

Bacon? Chili? Hot dog?

Yes, yes, yes and again yes!

Archived