Best Burger Places In Houston

Which places are ideal for family members (with wheelchair accessibility) and which places are ideal for friends in their 20s?

I went to beer and burgers joint outside of Houston and it was more like a truck stop than anything else. The people were friendly but the only seats available were bar stools! :lol:

Thanks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite burger is Goode Company's Mesquite Grill (you know, the taqueria at the corner of Westpark and Kirby). Parking is a PITA and there's not much seating except for the patio which is only semi-climate-controlled, but a mesquite-grilled burger is hard to beat flavor-wise. The set up is build-your-own similar to Fuddrucker's, but you can grab a beer from the cooler while you're waiting in line to order like at other Goode places.

The clientele is very West U, so whether you think that's good or bad, that's what you get.

A couple I've had lately that are good were at Bellaire Broiler Burger (chili cheese burger) and Beck's Prime (blue burger).

I wasn't overly impressed with Someburger (Heights or the ultra-religious Baytown location), Christian's, Lankford's, Southwells, Tookie's (Seabrook), or Prince's (all decent, just didn't stand out).

I haven't been to Bubba's in years - I need to go back...and I'll be checking out Smashburger, too.

edit - has anyone been to Poppa Burger on N Main?

Beck's is my favorite burger because they actually grill it I think, instead of griddle. I like the one at Memorial Park. The Kirby one is a bit hectic with the construction right now.

I also like Bubba's. Both of them. Bubba's Texas Burger Shack on Westpark by 59/S. Rice has good buffalo burgers and great atmosphere if you like shack style dining. Bubbas on Westcott/Washington is fun too, although service can take hours or years because most waitresses have been working there for 40 years (literally) and either forget or don't care about you.

I haven't lived in Houston since the mid '90's . . . but Sparkle's Burger Spot anyone?

Big, greasy cheeseburgers $3; chili cheese $4.

A Houstonian's burger joint for sure.

I'll be in town in mid January for business and look forward to getting away from the snow and ice and getting me a Sparkle's burger (Leeland and Dowling).

Never been to Sparkle's, but it's on the list (along with Cream-Burger, which, after all my years at UH and then some, I never got around to... :unsure: ).

I'll also visit UH when I come to town.

Love walking around the campus of my alma mater. I also like to see how my small donations get spent. :D

I'll add another vote for Bellaire Broiler Burger - certainly best value. But if you want the absolute best cheeseburger in the city, I have to agree with the recent Ultimate Houston section editors at the Chronicle: Amazon on Kirby. Cordua's next venture needs to be a chain of burger stands...

A couple I've had lately that are good were at Bellaire Broiler Burger (chili cheese burger) and Beck's Prime (blue burger).

I wasn't overly impressed with Someburger (Heights or the ultra-religious Baytown location), Christian's, Lankford's, Southwells, Tookie's (Seabrook), or Prince's (all decent, just didn't stand out).

I haven't been to Bubba's in years - I need to go back...and I'll be checking out Smashburger, too.

edit - has anyone been to Poppa Burger on N Main?

I go to Poppa Burger once in a while. It's OK, but there are plenty of better places around town for a burger. The burgers are smaller than most of the places you listed, and if you weren't impressed with Lankford, you're probably not going to be adding Poppa Burger to the regular rotation any time soon. But it's worth a visit purely from a historical standpoint, as I believe it's been there for close to 45 years.

Add my vote to the list of those who mentioned Sparkle's on Dowling (and be sure and check out the chicken mole tacos at Brothers Taco House across the street too). I'll always have a soft spot for the Hickory Cheeseburger at Beck's, and I'm eagerly awaiting the Fatburger that's supposed to open near the Target on Taylor. Would love to see an In-N-Out in Houston, but I'm afraid spreading the franchise too far outside California might screw up what's good about that place.

My favs would be Christian's (Washington location only), Lankford, Sparkle's, Someburger, Blake's on Jeanetta and Little Bitty Burger Barn on Pinemont.

LBBB has a kids eat free Wednesday deal and there is a ramp; they're super friendly but it's tiny (it's a doublewide) so not good for a large group.

Blake's website seems to have been taken down; besides good burgers and chili there's great homemade cakes and Hank's Ice Cream, but the bbq is mediocre. There's no ramp but I don't think one would be necessary.

looks like the chron is in action again...

best burger

1. Hubcap Grill's cheeseburger, as per above. (Hubcap Grill, 1111 Prairie St., 713-223-5885. Breakfast & lunch only.)

2. Sparkle Hamburger Spot's cheeseburger and chili cheeseburger. (Sparkle's Hamburger Spot, 1515 Dowling St. @ Leeland, 713-225-8044. Close 7:30 pm M-F; 5 pm Sat.)

3. Bubba's Texas Burger Shack's juicy buffalo cheeseburger. (5230 Westpark Dr., 713-661-1622)

4. Stanton's City Bites' cheeseburger. (1420 Edwards @ Houston Ave., 713-227-4893)

5. Wunsche Brothers Cafe's cheeseburger. (103 Midway, Spring, 281-350-1902)

looks like the chron is in action again...

best burger

1. Hubcap Grill's cheeseburger, as per above. (Hubcap Grill, 1111 Prairie St., 713-223-5885. Breakfast & lunch only.)

2. Sparkle Hamburger Spot's cheeseburger and chili cheeseburger. (Sparkle's Hamburger Spot, 1515 Dowling St. @ Leeland, 713-225-8044. Close 7:30 pm M-F; 5 pm Sat.)

I can attest to the Sparkle Burger. Yum! Probably the best I've had in the city since the old Roznovskys. Sparkle is the bright blue shack, and they get lots of business.

For urban-sensitive types, it's on an old corner in an old neighborhood, and if it looks scary like because black men are loitering around, they're waiting for their orders, not panhandling. ;)

Archived