what I have been up to

I love it. I'm jealous of all the height changes.

I like the little detail in the sheetrock near the ceiling.

If had to point out one thing I'm not crazy about... I don't love when the countertop material continues up the backsplash, and then another, different backsplash is put on top of that.

I appreciate all the hard work you've put in here though!

Moar pics!

flipper

Looks like Ikea in the kitchen... correct? ... Any problems or issues? I am going to do the same thing... I have 60" to work with on the sink (12+36 sink base + 12). They do not make a 12" cabinet with a drawer... so it's either 12" with shelves, no drawers... or the 12" pull out cabinets... Are you happy with the cabinets?

Looks great!

I am super happy with the cabinets. They are made like Kraftmade cabinets. I reinforced ours here and there with wood glue, larger nails etc. My wifes parents has had theres for 20+ yrs and look great.

Highway 6...home tour is quite a ways away, but till then, there is rumoured to be buried treasure under the flower beds...come over with a shovel and dig for free. Not sure which bed so be prepared to dig in all, but you can keep 1/2 of what you find...hahaha

Flipper...split level is due to 1968 addition (Robert Maurice) to a 1935 initial build. I have the backsplash part of the countertop cause I am OCD and would be obsessed about water etc getting behind the cabinets.

Bobby, Jan, Marsha etc are welcome as long as they dont report child labor violations. Alice is not welcome. There is no more carpet in the house. ha

IMG_1036_2.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

heres a couple. under the cabinets was a few squirrels nest...according to the neighbor, prior to selling, the house had stacks and stacks of books with a small trail thru the entire house. there were animals living in there...crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My wife was upset I didnt clean up befor this one..

round lights from Ikea and the bubble from DWR. The blue is from the Sherwinn Williams retro line.

Dr Greaser,

Wow nice redo. I was a kid when that look was in and it takes me back... on the subway tile, did you use DalTile or Florida tile or another brand?

Also did you change out the plate glass for safety glass on the patio sliders and side panels? Just wondering.

all the glass is tempered. There is one part of the house where its sheet glass, fortunately its in a area where an accident would be unlikely. The tile is the cheap stuff at the big box store.

I thought your living room looked familiar.....its a small world, Greaser. I think I was in your house when it was for sale in late 2007? It was in very rough shape. Some slab and some pier and beam. Flat roof around the center courtyard. Low voltage light controls. Deep lot with a funky garage building and a well. On the other hand it has a neat overall design and lots of footage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its a 1930's house that was added onto in the fifties, is that right?

You are a brave fellow to take this place on...... wow.

I thought your living room looked familiar.....its a small world, Greaser. I think I was in your house when it was for sale in late 2007? It was in very rough shape. Some slab and some pier and beam. Flat roof around the center courtyard. Low voltage light controls. Deep lot with a funky garage building and a well. On the other hand it has a neat overall design and lots of footage. Correct me if I'm wrong, but its a 1930's house that was added onto in the fifties, is that right?

You are a brave fellow to take this place on...... wow.

yup thats the one...sometimes bravery and stupidity look the same....kinda like intelligence and arrogance.

we knew it was a good house, just looked bad. Funky garage hmmm interesting choice of works. Potential lawsuit...ya.

The addition was in 68, designed by Robert Maurice. He has done alot around Houston, and seems mostly in River Oaks. Original house was built in 35

It was very funny to see other peoples expression when they were showing the house. there was alot of WTF, and just the silent head shake, with an abrupt exit.

• 1 month later...
Those panels look great! Got me thinkin.... What is the material and stain color?

flipper

mahogany panels from Clarkes Hardwood in the Heights. 4 coats of amber shellac. They look awesome....pics dont do them justice. We bought a walnut sheet and mahogany sheet, and experimented before coming up with the final finish.

I used liquid nails and a small finish nailer at the bottom to secure it, with 2 people only glue is needed...once the panel is on the wall you can move it around a little, then really press and it holds. These are 1/4 furniture grade panels. They can be used for anything.

Archived