Sign in to follow this  
lockmat

Harris County Jury Assembly Room And Transportation Plaza

here is a pic of it as of today. :)

yeah, I was a photo shootin' fool today.

027.jpg

• Like 4

I love to see anything new downtown that isn't concrete.

I was just reading through the old posts on this thread and realized something:

Architech - PageSoutherlandPage

HarrisCo_JuryRoom_SLIDE_01.jpg

Was this rendering made in Sim City 4?

• Like 1

I think the name of this thread sums it up nicely.

"Harris County Jury Assembly Room And Transportation Plaza"

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HoustonBoy said:

What exactly is this place?

The surface is a (poorly-designed, and therefore completely unused) green space.   The building is where people entered to report for jury duty.  The surface level is pretty much just vestibule, elevators and escalators.  Below the surface was the jury assembly:  some open space, multiple assembly rooms, and tunnel connections to all of the county buildings and courthouses.  It was flooded by, IIRC, Harvey. Last I heard they do not plan to reopen it. Once would think a local journalist might have inquired and reported on it...

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 6

Reconstruction begins on flooded Harris County Jury Assembly Plaza

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Reconstruction-begins-on-flooded-Harris-County-15074070.php#photo-19068507

More than two years after Hurricane Harvey filled the Jury Assembly Plaza downtown with 13 feet of water, its reconstruction is finally underway.

The $11.3 million project was stalled until Harris County commissioners approved a funding agreement last week. The county had been waiting on FEMA’s approval for its part in financing the project, County Judge Lina Hidalgo said.

“We’re asking all the questions to make sure this isn’t only done quickly but that it’s done well,” she said outside the plaza Friday. “It’s important to the administration of justice to making sure that enough jurors can come together each day.”

Hidalgo and District Clerk Marilyn Burgess assured the public that more precautions will be taken during the rebuild to ensure that Harvey’s level of flooding in August 2017 won’t happen again.

The building, at 1201 Congress, is mostly underground and consists of four chambers and an open central area. Floodwater filled the assembly room, also destroying a number of windows and furniture, according to the district clerk’s office.

Mitigation efforts include relocating an electric vault to an above-ground space to address the source of past flooding. Penetrations to the vault will be sealed, and the basement flood doors will be replaced. Those will also have sensors that detect moisture and trigger alarms, county officials said.

The plan also calls for workers to install water resistant flooring; new ceilings, walls and furniture; and a renovated pumping and ventilation system.

• Like 4