Broadmoor Homes For Sale

I've been renting an over/under 1928 brick duplex at Elliott & Broadmoor (just down the street from Broadmoor Park) since August. By a stroke of luck, the bottom was suddenly vacated a week before we moved in, so some good friends of ours moved in the bottom. My wife and I were married, on the balcony, in December -- the downstairs neighbor officiated.

The neighborhood seems to be about half Spanish-speaking (we don't speak much at all), but everybody has been very friendly and hospitable to us. The kids on the block treat the entire street as one continuous playground, including our yard. My wife is giving one boy guitar lessons, and I routinely help another fix his bike. (The point here is simply that any neighborhood or situation is going to be what one makes of it.)

The landlord is a pretty well-known guy around East End apparently; he's been in the neighborhood since the early 80's. I asked him to consider selling us the place around January never thinking he'd take me up on it. Two weeks ago he said he's making a lifestyle change and agreed to sell it!

We've agreed to a price that will, basically, make the mortgage payment equal to the current rent. (We plan to build about $10,000 into the mortgage to replace the electrical boxes and to do some plumbing work. The pier and beam foundation was fine, in our case.)

Attached is a pic of the aforementioned wedding at the house. (I hope that posting it does not violate any forum rules.)

hth,

rs

wedding_broadmoor.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the neighborhood! Congratulations on your marriage!

I'm on Pearson Street. Been here 3+ years and really like it.

Broadmoor is included in the area served by the Eastwood Civic Association. We meet at 6:30 the first Monday of each month at the E. B. Cape Center on Leeland. Hope you'll come to the next one.

hey RS_ welcome, and congrats!

I think I live across the street from you, in the house with the freshly planted oleanders by the street.

Congrats if you do buy, I keep meaning to wander over there when you guys are outside while I'm smoking on my porch. I'll have to redouble my efforts (not at smoking, but coming to say hi).

Wow RS_ that has to be one of the BEST photos ever placed on Haif! :lol:

Truly wish you both many years of happiness!

We need more ambitious and creative people like you.

So great to see any such positive moment in the old neighborhood. Getting all choked up...but with tears of joy! ^_^

• 1 month later...

Sweet! If I see you out on my walks I'll say hi! I live on Scharpe. I love this little neighborhood more and more everday. I've been taking long brisk walks daily for exercise (you may see me in my old scrubs). I just love all the sites and sounds (and cats and hibiscuses and sweet kids and sidewalk anomalies) of Broadmoor. I think it's awesome.

My husband and I are hoping to have kids soon, and can't wait to push them on the swings in Broadmoor park.

Peace ~ Ruthie

• 1 month later...
I ran into the same situation. Don't let your coworkers influence your decision. After all, you're going to live in the house, not them.

For what it's worth, people questioned my parents' decision to buy in West U in the '70s. "Why do you want to live there?! The neighborhood is so old and run-down!"

Wow...really? West U? I see hope for Broadmoor.

Wow...really? West U? I see hope for Broadmoor.

That's not to say that Broadmoor is ever going to become as desirable as West U; the neighborhood is not as conveniently located relative to the major employment centers of Downtown, Greenway Plaza, The Galleria Area, and the Medical Center.

However, I also see a lot of hope for Broadmoor. It's convenient to Downtown, the Medical Center, and UH, it has affordable housing stock with some architectural appeal, and the gentrification in adjacent Eastwood will probably spill over into the neighborhood.

The point I was trying to make is: don't judge a neighborhood by its outward appearance or by other people's opinions; its location is far more important.

• 1 month later...

Im in the process of purchasing a home off Broadmoor. I have to admit, Im having my doubts about the neighborhood but these comments here has helped. Being a native Houstonian, I know this area well back in the days but recently I have questions. I do like the old style homes from the 30's and 40's. Something about the look and feel of the old houses just make me feel like Im home. I was living in Lindale Park and loved it. Had to sell for reasons but now Im hoping this area will work for me as well. Seems to be alot of really nice people in the area despite the old cars in the yards ! Good thing Im on a street where this isnt considered "yard art" as of yet ! Guess I will move forward on the purchase !

Im in the process of purchasing a home off Broadmoor. I have to admit, Im having my doubts about the neighborhood but these comments here has helped. Being a native Houstonian, I know this area well back in the days but recently I have questions. I do like the old style homes from the 30's and 40's. Something about the look and feel of the old houses just make me feel like Im home. I was living in Lindale Park and loved it. Had to sell for reasons but now Im hoping this area will work for me as well. Seems to be alot of really nice people in the area despite the old cars in the yards ! Good thing Im on a street where this isnt considered "yard art" as of yet ! Guess I will move forward on the purchase !

Welcome to the neighborhood! According to the real estate grapevine, activity and renovations in this area have temporarily slowed to a snail's pace since the economy tanked but are expected to really pick up with the recovery. You're getting in at a good time, I'd say.

I'm a happy resident, coming up on one year of ownership!

The neighborhood is quiet at night, aside from the random rooster and train, but you get used to that.

And for where you are at, the prices are extremely affordable, look at prices just inside lockwood off of leeland (I guess that is eastwood proper), the prices are more than fair. The amount of upward change in the neighborhood is evident even after just a year, there are a lot of houses that have been updated in just that short time, I am hopeful for what happens in the next 5 years! I think you are buying into a great little area and you will be happy.

we need a grocery store that isn't overshopped heb, and lack of options randalls, or combat kroger, and a starbucks or two within walking distance, but otherwise, conveniently it is a snap to get to and from the freeway!

Welcome to the neighborhood! According to the real estate grapevine, activity and renovations in this area have temporarily slowed to a snail's pace since the economy tanked but are expected to really pick up with the recovery. You're getting in at a good time, I'd say.

Thanks... I think Im getting a pretty good deal in the house. The neighbors on both sides keep their house in great shape but I question the one across the street. Im thinking is is a rental and maybe multiple familes. A few other questionable ones on the block but all-in-all I think it will be fine. I have a kitchen to remodel and some windows to replace but nothing major past that. Im pretty sure Im buying from the original owner so the good thing is someone hasnt gone in and tried to do updates on a penny budget. I looked at a few of these and prefer the original state to the do-it-yourself on free supplies. Im looking forward to moving in.

Update:

Well, after house hunting for almost 6 months. I'm now a Broadmoor resident. I closed on a house on Munger. I'm excited that I have a place of my own! Being a first-time homebuyer, I was nervous at closing. But, everything came together for me. In an unfortunate circumstance the owners had to sell... I feel really bad for them. They agreed to pay for the foundation and replace the roof. I'm familiar with the neighborhood. I love the old homes. A good friend of mine lives on Godwin and has most of his life. I too had mixed feelings about the neighborhood, but I see the potential and aware its a transitioning area. I'm optimistic it will pick up. The more homeowners move in, the better. The house needs work, inside and out, but I'm glad I have my family and friends to help out. My girlfriend suggested having a "Painting Party" to kick off my rehab project. We went for a walk around 10pm...quiet street. I'm looking forward to meeting my new neighbors.

Update:

Well, after house hunting for almost 6 months. I'm now a Broadmoor resident. I closed on a house on Munger. I'm excited that I have a place of my own! Being a first-time homebuyer, I was nervous at closing. But, everything came together for me. In an unfortunate circumstance the owners had to sell... I feel really bad for them. They agreed to pay for the foundation and replace the roof. I'm familiar with the neighborhood. I love the old homes. A good friend of mine lives on Godwin and has most of his life. I too had mixed feelings about the neighborhood, but I see the potential and aware its a transitioning area. I'm optimistic it will pick up. The more homeowners move in, the better. The house needs work, inside and out, but I'm glad I have my family and friends to help out. My girlfriend suggested having a "Painting Party" to kick off my rehab project. We went for a walk around 10pm...quiet street. I'm looking forward to meeting my new neighbors.

Maybe we will be neighbors. Im buying on Munger as well. Still going through the contract agreement but I think things will come together soon. After your painting party, maybe I will have a "kitchen tearout" party! I will be the guy cooking on a coleman stove in the front yard until my kitchen is complete !

Maybe we will be neighbors. Im buying on Munger as well. Still going through the contract agreement but I think things will come together soon. After your painting party, maybe I will have a "kitchen tearout" party! I will be the guy cooking on a coleman stove in the front yard until my kitchen is complete !

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

I'm a happy resident, coming up on one year of ownership!

The neighborhood is quiet at night, aside from the random rooster and train, but you get used to that.

i actually quite like the train, but man oh MAN do i hate those roosters!! should someone decide to have a chicken cookout, i'm all in favor of it (this coming from a vegetarian!)

but seriously, it's great to hear about so many new people moving into the neighborhood in the last couple years. the neighborhood has always been nice, and with folks coming in to invest in fixing up some of these cool houses while settling in for awhile, it will only get better.

Hooray for Broadmoor! Hooray for chickens (as long as they aren't tearing up my yard).

mark

• 1 month later...

Hello all you Broadmoor Newbees,

My Wife and I own a home on Scharpe and used to own another on Munger. You will love the neighborhood, it was very good to us and for that matter very safe. We had no issues other then the neighbor getting a little loud once in a while with his stereo and needing to be told to turn it down either by me or the police. You will find that Victor Trevino's guys are very good and very quick. He lives in the neighborhood and hosts the yearly Neighborhood night out at the ball fields including food, drinks, prizes, and activities for the kids. Location wise Broadmoor is situated perfectly and only getting better once Light Rail is built connecting Eastwood Transit Center.

I should note this though for any/all reading this. Our home is now a rental since we moved up north to our second home and the tenants called Centerpoint after smelling gas. They should have notified us first but CP came out, confirmed a gas leak at the 45 degree fitting underground and pulled the meter. Once the meter is pulled it takes a permit, licensed plumber, and bringing your house up to 2009 building code. This sucks for those who own older homes but alas it is what it is so our house will now have Gas lines (Heat, Water, Fireplace, Stove) installed to 2009 building code. If they had not called CP first I would have called the plumber who would have turned off the gas, replaced the fitting, tested the lines, and left with a much smaller repair bill and the tenants would have had hot water for the past week instead of not having hot water. We gave the tenants half off the rent in order to keep them happy since they are good tenants and are taking good care of the property.

Anyhow welcome to the neighborhood, I'm sure you will be as happy as we were and are.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

Hello all you Broadmoor Newbees,

My Wife and I own a home on Scharpe and used to own another on Munger. You will love the neighborhood, it was very good to us and for that matter very safe. We had no issues other then the neighbor getting a little loud once in a while with his stereo and needing to be told to turn it down either by me or the police. You will find that Victor Trevino's guys are very good and very quick. He lives in the neighborhood and hosts the yearly Neighborhood night out at the ball fields including food, drinks, prizes, and activities for the kids. Location wise Broadmoor is situated perfectly and only getting better once Light Rail is built connecting Eastwood Transit Center.

I should note this though for any/all reading this. Our home is now a rental since we moved up north to our second home and the tenants called Centerpoint after smelling gas. They should have notified us first but CP came out, confirmed a gas leak at the 45 degree fitting underground and pulled the meter. Once the meter is pulled it takes a permit, licensed plumber, and bringing your house up to 2009 building code. This sucks for those who own older homes but alas it is what it is so our house will now have Gas lines (Heat, Water, Fireplace, Stove) installed to 2009 building code. If they had not called CP first I would have called the plumber who would have turned off the gas, replaced the fitting, tested the lines, and left with a much smaller repair bill and the tenants would have had hot water for the past week instead of not having hot water. We gave the tenants half off the rent in order to keep them happy since they are good tenants and are taking good care of the property.

Anyhow welcome to the neighborhood, I'm sure you will be as happy as we were and are.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

I appreciate your comments and the general feel of the neighborhood. I purchased on Munger last month. I'll be moving in very soon. Reasons for purchasing is it's close proximity to work (Midtown), DT, U of H, easy access to 45 and it's potential. As I posted before, I had mixed feelings, but hopefully that will change for the better as I get to know the neighborhood more and more. I'm looking forward for "National Night Out" and meeting the locals.

I appreciate your comments and the general feel of the neighborhood. I purchased on Munger last month. I'll be moving in very soon. Reasons for purchasing is it's close proximity to work (Midtown), DT, U of H, easy access to 45 and it's potential. As I posted before, I had mixed feelings, but hopefully that will change for the better as I get to know the neighborhood more and more. I'm looking forward for "National Night Out" and meeting the locals.

Congrats! you'll love it!

I wish my office was so close to home, having the option to commute to work on my bicycle would be awesome!

. I'm looking forward for "National Night Out" and meeting the locals.

Because the August heat here severely limited participation, we now observe "Texas Night Out" on the first Tuesday in October (Oct. 6 this year). However, Constable Trevino and his wife hosted their annual observance party for Broadmoor residents on the "National Night Out" date back in August! Don't know if they will do an encore next month. I went to the Trevino's nice gathering on two different occasions and found it difficult to strike up a conversation with the other guests - they seemed to be there for just for the free food, soda pop and other giveaways.

I don't know about your neighbors, but mine don't even come outside their homes when a fire truck and an ambulance pull up next door! If I go to anyone's "Night Out" gathering this year it will be the one in Eastwood, if they will have me.

i was just seeing what vacant lots are available in the area and noticed a few in broadmoor. .... Are broadmoor's deed restrictions posted online somewhere ?

These older neighborhoods - their deed restrictions mostly just deal with setbacks, the number of structures on the property, and the property's use, right ? They're not like newer neighborhoods that have some sort of architectural review committee telling you what colors you can paint your garage door ? Right ?

i was just seeing what vacant lots are available in the area and noticed a few in broadmoor. .... Are broadmoor's deed restrictions posted online somewhere ?

These older neighborhoods - their deed restrictions mostly just deal with setbacks, the number of structures on the property, and the property's use, right ? They're not like newer neighborhoods that have some sort of architectural review committee telling you what colors you can paint your garage door ? Right ?

for the most part yes.

Not anymore, they would have expired quite some time ago. But yes to the Setbacks, etc.. which is all controlled by the City and permitting. If you are looking for a lot in Broadmoor I would advise just driving the neighborhood, you will find some empty lots with For Sale By Owner signs that are not listed and should be cheaper then the MLS ones. The three lots for sale on MLS are owned by one guy who was going to build three homes on them but.... I would guess the money was not there.... So now he has them listed for a small fortune which he won't be able to get anytime soon unless MoneyBags comes in and pays cash. For the most part Broadmoor lots are all 6,250sqft so not a bad footprint of land for innnerloop.

Good luck,

Scharpe St Guy

Not anymore, they would have expired quite some time ago. But yes to the Setbacks, etc.. which is all controlled by the City and permitting. If you are looking for a lot in Broadmoor I would advise just driving the neighborhood, you will find some empty lots with For Sale By Owner signs that are not listed and should be cheaper then the MLS ones. The three lots for sale on MLS are owned by one guy who was going to build three homes on them but.... I would guess the money was not there.... So now he has them listed for a small fortune which he won't be able to get anytime soon unless MoneyBags comes in and pays cash. For the most part Broadmoor lots are all 6,250sqft so not a bad footprint of land for innnerloop.

Good luck,

Scharpe St Guy

Thanks for the info guys.

I wish i could afford to be in the market now, but nows not the time for me. More of just a question of curiosity.

Yah.. i know setbacks is a City level thing.... but I didnt know whether or not certain deed restrictions could require setbacks beyond the minimum.

I was just looking at a video on swamplot and it mentioned the deed restrictions in a sharpstown area neighborhood had "% of masonry to be used" in it and they made it seemed like that was still enforceable... so just curious how prevalent restrictions of that degree are in the older neighborhoods of the east end.

Yah... the 2 lots that guy has on Lawson are what peeked my interest in deed restrictions.

So, in your expert opinion as a local.. you think that guy asking 60k for a typical 6250 lot is on the way overpriced end of things ? Also.. you're saying whatever deed restricitons were in place for Broadmoor have expired and the fact that the MLS listed says "deed restricted" has no bearing whatsoever ?

So, in your expert opinion as a local.. you think that guy asking 60k for a typical 6250 lot is on the way overpriced end of things ? Also.. you're saying whatever deed restricitons were in place for Broadmoor have expired and the fact that the MLS listed says "deed restricted" has no bearing whatsoever ?

to be sure whether the restrictions have in fact expired, best to head down to the county. I know mine are from the 30's and are perpetual.

to be sure whether the restrictions have in fact expired, best to head down to the county. I know mine are from the 30's and are perpetual.

So individual properties can choose to perpetuate the neighborhood's deed restrictions for their property even if the restrictions lapse for the neighborhood as a whole ?

So individual properties can choose to perpetuate the neighborhood's deed restrictions for their property even if the restrictions lapse for the neighborhood as a whole ?

no, the deed restrictions in my neighborhood don't expire, they are perpetual. just because a hood is older, it doesn't mean that restrictions automatically expire.

gotcha.. so there would never be an instance where there is a restricted property in an older neighborhood if the deed restrictions for the neighborhood expired ?

IF the property of interest was replatted, new restrictions can be enacted. i've seen some property owners replat in an attempt to get out of existing restrictions, but the valid restrictions are still applicable.

gotcha.. so there would never be an instance where there is a restricted property in an older neighborhood if the deed restrictions for the neighborhood expired ?

I have seen instances of restricted lots in older neighborhoods that were largely un-restricted. This was not due to a replat but rather individual property owners signing up to bind their land to the restrictions. I would think the same process would apply for properties where the restrictions have expired.

Archived