Broadmoor Homes For Sale

My husband and I (26 & 25 y/o) are going to look at a couple of fixer-upper 30's bungalows for sale on Scharpe Street this week. We're young and motivated and looking for an inexpensive starter home that we could fix up before having kids. This seems like a great area for us, as it's close to a lot of things and driving through seems like a pleasant neighborhood. And the houses are adorable.

Anyone have any thoughts? I emailed Scharpe St Guy about it and he loves the neighborhood. Any complaints? Is it frightening at night? My husband works in Southpark/Sunnyside area and I found it to be a little rough for me down there. I think this area may be a bit nicer, though?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broadmoor has a great neighborhood feel to it, and the '30s bungalows have nice architectural features. It reminds me a little of Southside Place before the yuppies moved in and demolished everything. It's also in a good location, bordering gentrifying Eastwood, and it's close to Downtown.

One thing to look out for - many homes in Broadmoor have foundation problems. Fortunately, most are on pier and beam foundations, and can be fixed fairly easily.

Out of the houses for sale in Broadmoor right now, this one is my favorite:

http://www.har.com/6559815

On a semi-related note, I'm trying to get better at SketchUp, so I built a model of it for practice a while back:

3123870338_b0e46b92ca.jpg

There are some other HAIF members who live in Broadmoor, and may be able to provide more specific information.

Please educate me on eastside neighborhoods someone.

Where exactly is southside place and eastwood and idylwood?

Based on your link.. I figured out which neighborhood is Broadmore.

which of these are relatively safer than others? which of these are still pretty dangerous?

Looking on har in broadmore... lots of dirt cheap properties.. relative to 30 yr old bungaloes in other areas. Is this not the safest area then ?

My grandmother's house was in that neighborhood off Sunnyland... what neighborhood is that?

It seemed pleasant enough growing up and visiting there 20-25 years ago.. but i drove by earlier this week.. and its very sad what has become of her property... the entire immediate area has a very dangerous feel to it...

Course.. i may be basing this entirely on how new owner has let my grandmother's property go to complete ass.

Good sketchup work btw.

edit.. I think see which one is idylwood.

Broadmoor has a great neighborhood feel to it, and the '30s bungalows have nice architectural features. It reminds me a little of Southside Place before the yuppies moved in and demolished everything. It's also in a good location, bordering gentrifying Eastwood, and it's close to Downtown.

One thing to look out for - many homes in Broadmoor have foundation problems. Fortunately, most are on pier and beam foundations, and can be fixed fairly easily.

Please move in and get to know locals that grew here like moi. :D

Be sure to see Sunnyland and Eastwood categories. I assure you can get real bargains IF you PM me.

By the way, I am not a realtor nor know any in this area. We just want nice respectable people like the ones that used to live all arund here back in its hey day.

My husband and I (26 & 25 y/o) are going to look at a couple of fixer-upper 30's bungalows for sale on Scharpe Street this week. We're young and motivated and looking for an inexpensive starter home that we could fix up before having kids. This seems like a great area for us, as it's close to a lot of things and driving through seems like a pleasant neighborhood. And the houses are adorable.

Anyone have any thoughts? I emailed Scharpe St Guy about it and he loves the neighborhood. Any complaints? Is it frightening at night? My husband works in Southpark/Sunnyside area and I found it to be a little rough for me down there. I think this area may be a bit nicer, though?

Broadmoor is a terrific neighborhood: very affordable, great location, and safe. I've lived in the neighborhood for 10 years, and feel fortunate to have gotten in when I did. Hopefully, more people will be buying in order to reside rather than rent out - the more owners we can get who live in their houses, the better it will continue being.

Drawbacks: the sidewalks are horrible, some of the streets don't drain off as well as others, and the occasional criminal mischief (a few years ago, someone broke my car's passenger window & tried to steal my broken cassette player. yes, someone tried to steal my CASSETTE player, and FAILED.) (what is the street value of a non-functioning tape player nowadays?) I experienced more crime when I lived in the Montrose area. again, the more actual residents the neighborhood gets, the safer it'll be.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! We were pretty set on moving to Garden Villas (where my husband grew up) but have changed our minds a bit investigating Broadmoor and the East End.

We're going to see some houses tomorrow, already got pre-qualified for a loan. Very exciting times!! :-)

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! We were pretty set on moving to Garden Villas (where my husband grew up) but have changed our minds a bit investigating Broadmoor and the East End.

We're going to see some houses tomorrow, already got pre-qualified for a loan. Very exciting times!! :-)

I bought my house in Broadmoor 3 years ago and enjoy living here very much. It's a quiet neighborhood, even with the train tracks nearby - after all, Southside Place and Bellaire have the same thing. I wanted a small bungalow and had been priced out of Montrose and the Heights. Due to strange circumstances, I had to decide rather quickly on a house and nothing was available in Eastwood proper at the time.

When you find a property to consider, be certain to get an inspector who is familiar with old houses to do the job...very few actually are...and don't just go with someone recommended by your real estate agent! This will require some research on your part - PM me and I will give you the name of the one I used.

Before I moved in, I had the electrical and plumbing replaced, central air and heat installed, the pier-and-beam foundation leveled, a simple bathroom reno done and the wood floors restored with a wax finish. Little by little, the rest of the house is being restored/renovated in a quasi-1930's style. Living in a smallish space while this is going on ain't easy, but it is doable!

There are still a couple of tacky multi-family rent-by-the-month houses nearby, much to the dismay of the homeowners on the block.

The Eastwood Civic Association welcomes Broadmoor residents. It meets at 6:30 pm the first Monday of each month at the E.B. Cape Center on Leeland.

Good luck with your search for a home! And please let us know how things are going!

One of the best perks about Broadmoor is the easy access to everything and mostly the Eastwood Transit Center right off 1300 block of Munger. I used to just walk 2 blocks every day to and fro, hastle free. From the transit center you can go just about any where ie; Med Center/downtown etc. :)

I told my coworkers about my house search (I work in Rice Village) and one of them said "Oh, you don't want to live there, those are the slums!" and the other said "I'm not sure you're tan enough to live there."

WOAH!

Mostly I feel sorry for their ignorance, but jeez! Not everyone wants to live with a bunch of whiteys in West U.

I told my coworkers about my house search (I work in Rice Village) and one of them said "Oh, you don't want to live there, those are the slums!" and the other said "I'm not sure you're tan enough to live there."

WOAH!

Mostly I feel sorry for their ignorance, but jeez! Not everyone wants to live with a bunch of whiteys in West U.

Well, for everyone's information, Broadmoor/Eastwood/Idylwood are diverse neighborhoods and are becoming more so every day. I moved to the East End after many years of living in Bellaire and believe me, there's nothing like the snobbishness of certain residents of inner-loop cities and The Villages!

In fact, if you decide to buy an old house to restore anywhere, expect your relatives, friends and co-workers to question your sanity. Why, for what you spend on real estate in these neighborhoods plus what you'll spend fixing it up, you could get a nice new little cookie-cutter 3-2-2 just outside the Beltway...

I ran into the same situation. Don't let your coworkers influence your decision. After all, you're going to live in the house, not them.

For what it's worth, people questioned my parents' decision to buy in West U in the '70s. "Why do you want to live there?! The neighborhood is so old and run-down!"

It wouldnt surprise me to still hear newcomers to Houston "assume" that this section of the city is mostly minority. I cannot speak for all of East End but can state that in our personal experience when moving to Broadmoor in 1968 that most of this specific section had many college students and U of H faculty living all around and still so to this day. In fact, when I meet new young couples in the area they tell us they used to attend U of H lived in dorms or rented small homes with other students and decided to permanently live here. They told me how mis-informed their parents/relatives were of this area.

I would say on a very bright note that if most newcomers keep assuming this myth that you and others will greatly benefit from their ignorance. There is gold in them there hills people. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I see this is an old topic, I need to spend more time here...

I bought a house in broadmoor 2 days after IKE came through, I've been moved in for a while now, I'm on Elliott, and the neighborhood is very quiet. The people that live in the houses are very normal every day people.

After buying and telling friends where it was, they had the random comments about bulletproof vests and whatnot, but I feel just as safe as any of the 'good' areas.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I'm looking forward to watching the area become revitalized (but hopefully not losing all the charm at the same time).

Anyway, I'm very happy with my purchase, and I'm looking forward to watching the area become revitalized (but hopefully not losing all the charm at the same time).

It's a miracle what they have done with that BIG 2 story home on Broadmoor/Sharpe is it? One block in from 45 rather. That was "given away" for a mere $40,000.00. Been talking with the ones remodeling, has 4 brms & 3 restrooms, very rare buy for the area. I hope a professional group of folks/family move in. To hell with renting this is prime location people! :blush:

It's a miracle what they have done with that BIG 2 story home on Broadmoor/Sharpe is it? One block in from 45 rather. That was "given away" for a mere $40,000.00. Been talking with the ones remodeling, has 4 brms & 3 restrooms, very rare buy for the area. I hope a professional group of folks/family move in. To hell with renting this is prime location people! :blush:

Looks like there remodeling instead of rehabbing. Green roofing shingles?..oh well... <_< At least they're doing something to it. I drive by there all the time. I would always see wannabes hanging out there all time giving me a dirty look, as if I was a threat...please. It's a great location.

Okay,

this is my first time on this forum so I am not sure how this will print out.

I bought in 2000 and love the area! It is close to everthing! As for crime, look at what is happening in the heights with all the breakend, Pearland.... No place is safe proof. In 9 years I had my garage broken into and just had garden stuff taken. Very minor concidering my friends in montrose and the hieghts cannot leave anything on their porches without it disappearing over night. We have chairs, tables, and pots on the porch and never disappeared. My friends in these more expensive areas all have had their garages broken into as well.

As for foundation work and street flooding. Look into timergrove, west U, westbury, all these places flood. During tropical storm allison the streets in all Houston flooded, but in our home nothing came into the house. Look at the tropical storm allison recovery web page type in the street address and find out if it is in a floodway, flood zone. Most of these expensive areas are Broadmoor is not! As four foundation all houston houses have foundation issues. So dont let that scare you either.

This is a great neighbohhod!!! One thing that would improve it would be to not allow people to park on their lawns. This makes the area look less greener and more getto. I know all my neighbors! I do hope more owners buy into the area and stop renting them out. The area has a good percentage of rentals but have noticed that the renter quality is getting much better every year.

I think anyone buying into this area will see that the perciption is not the reality!!!!

It would be great if we can make the new COH ordinance on no-lawn parking applicable to Broadmoor, and that's a big IF.

It's good to know that the quality of renters on somebody's street is getting better, 'cause it sure ain't happening on mine! Around here, they trash the place and are in and out in 30-60 days. Of course, the landlords are to blame for not screening prospective tenants, but that would probably be impossible for several reasons...

I would always see wannabes hanging out there all time giving me a dirty look, as if I was a threat...please. It's a great location.

Correct!

Little by little that kind of scuz is being weeded out out of this area. :) It WAS like a scene from Cops or AMW but certain (wonder who) folks are helping boot em out.All everyone needs to keep doing is dialing HPD & or 911. It works.

The cross street is Lombardy. The reason Broadmoor blvd itself is so vulnerable to riff raff at night anyway, is the dim lighting all along it. Here is the prob:

1. Renters do not care to call 311 to cut down or trim back the OLD rotting trees along this street, hence the darkness/spookiness by night fall.

2. Owners MUST call 311 since these aged trees are on city property. Is it laziness? Great scholars have racked their brains for centuries to no avail. City will cut for free people, what more can you ask for?

3. See Munger/Broadmoor intersection. That old brick house has been rented by more people that P Hilton has got down with! The little old lady passed away by mid 70's & ever since it was a turn stile of degenerates. Look up at the dangerous huge branches ready to crash down....No one calls 311. Ok, I had to make that point. No silk gloves I'm afraid. :)

Okay,

this is my first time on this forum so I am not sure how this will print out.

I bought in 2000 and love the area! It is close to everthing! As for crime, look at what is happening in the heights with all the breakend, Pearland.... No place is safe proof. In 9 years I had my garage broken into and just had garden stuff taken. Very minor concidering my friends in montrose and the hieghts cannot leave anything on their porches without it disappearing over night. We have chairs, tables, and pots on the porch and never disappeared. My friends in these more expensive areas all have had their garages broken into as well.

As for foundation work and street flooding. Look into timergrove, west U, westbury, all these places flood. During tropical storm allison the streets in all Houston flooded, but in our home nothing came into the house. Look at the tropical storm allison recovery web page type in the street address and find out if it is in a floodway, flood zone. Most of these expensive areas are Broadmoor is not! As four foundation all houston houses have foundation issues. So dont let that scare you either.

This is a great neighbohhod!!! One thing that would improve it would be to not allow people to park on their lawns. This makes the area look less greener and more getto. I know all my neighbors! I do hope more owners buy into the area and stop renting them out. The area has a good percentage of rentals but have noticed that the renter quality is getting much better every year.

I think anyone buying into this area will see that the perciption is not the reality!!!!

Welcome to HAIF! You're right, the area is improving. I've lived near Eastwood most of my life and love it!. I'm optimistic that Broadmoor will become a very desirable place in the near future. Eastwood is already experiencing it. Now that I'm looking for a home friends and family question my decision to stay in the East End. I just made an offer on a home nearby. God willing, the deal goes through, I'll be a happy clam! :D

Update:

We moved in! We now own a cute little Broadmoor home. It needs a lot of work but is certainly livable -- at least the cockroaches and mice seem to think so! Just kidding, actually the pests are the ONLY concern I have about the place. It's great. A lot of caulk and weather stripping and some well placed chemicals should help with that.

And if you didn't already know this, since we purchased our home in '09 we got a huge tax rebate -- 10% of our home price! Hopefully that will be enough to level the foundation -- or a good fraction of the cost. We got an amazing deal. While I am scraping away at peeling paint and tearing up carpet, my husband (electrical engineer turned teacher) is planning on updating the wiring soon.

So far I've met several of our neighbors and they're all incredibly nice. Our next door neighbor and one two doors down have been here for 30 years each! I also have learned a little history of our house through them and it's very neat. So far I'm very very happy about our decision.

If you see me around walking my chubby blue heeler mix, swinging at the park or working on removing the funky white painted trees from my yard, please say hi and introduce yourself! :-)

Ruthie

post-7420-1236394964_thumb.jpg

Extremely glad to have you join the crowd!

Hopefully most of the home still has original tiles, arched entry from living to dining room, mantle and lights fixtures?

We knew or still know many of the long time residents and I always noticed when visiting their homes that almost all the homes in this specific area had very similar motifs, etc. In fact almost each home had a garage apt in back that resembled the house. You may still find the rear of the yard still has those very old wire fences? Those were placed throughout this hood and are quite hellish to remove but it can be done with patience. Notice that most still have the original 2 tire lane drive ways! I thought that was so unusual we 1st moved in eons ago. Imagine how the old (now antique) cars had to maneuver going up and then reverse? Whoa!

Anyway hope your not too close to that pesky train track otherwsie you made a fantastic choice!

Buona notte :D

SweetPotato,

Congratsulations on your purchase in Broadmoor. I know you will love it in the community, the location, and the reverse traffic you will enjoy if your work takes you outside of the inner core. Please keep us appraised if you get the foundation work done as I wouldn't mind having our house done as well and possibly we could entice a better deal or for that matter get Marks/Phister out to do the jobs.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

Yeah, it is pretty neat to watch it all happen, there is a 2 story on Elliott near Fourcade that is being redone, and on the corner of Elliott and Broadmoor that house is slowly being reworked.

As you say, it will be interesting to see what happens when they are done. Will someone buy it and live in it, or will it rent, and who will it rent to?

And congrats SweetPotato!

Yeah, it is pretty neat to watch it all happen, there is a 2 story on Elliott near Fourcade that is being redone, and on the corner of Elliott and Broadmoor that house is slowly being reworked.

As you say, it will be interesting to see what happens when they are done. Will someone buy it and live in it, or will it rent, and who will it rent to?

It's really touching to see these homes being restored or upgraded especially to those of us that grew up here and remember these homes when they were in their orginal state of beauty.

Here is another tip most newcomers to the city are clueless about this area. Most of these 2 story homes have fantastic views of the downtown skyline. I thank mother nature for helping to knock down these old rotted trees after the recent storm. Not all of it was bad, with these dead trees removed, now these homes have these wonderful views day AND night. I can see DT Continental Airlines tower from my window as I type this note to the world. :blush: and we are over near 45 and Wayside!

There are some 2 level homes surrounding Triangle Park and I cannot believe they have not added a 2nd story balconies or a vast upstairs porch to catch the daily sunrise to sunset views. Perhaps its a $ thing?

This is another reason everyone should not have fled for the burbs! Come back...come back! :D

It's really touching to see these homes being restored or upgraded especially to those of us that grew up here and remember these homes when they were in their orginal state of beauty.

Here is another tip most newcomers to the city are clueless about this area. Most of these 2 story homes have fantastic views of the downtown skyline. I thank mother nature for helping to knock down these old rotted trees after the recent storm. Not all of it was bad, with these dead trees removed, now these homes have these wonderful views day AND night. I can see DT Continental Airlines tower from my window as I type this note to the world. :blush: and we are over near 45 and Wayside!

There are some 2 level homes surrounding Triangle Park and I cannot believe they have not added a 2nd story balconies or a vast upstairs porch to catch the daily sunrise to sunset views. Perhaps its a $ thing?

This is another reason everyone should not have fled for the burbs! Come back...come back! :D

I've been asking myself lately. "To flee or not to flee? That is the question."

I've been asking myself lately. "To flee or not to flee? That is the question."

I thought you said you lived near Jackson Jr High area? Thats a far cry from Broadmoor.

This area is coming back I would hang in there truthfully. Remember anywhere else that looks attractive may have high taxes to pay and that makes a big difference for many.

See Sunnyland topic, they are still giving these homes away, thats another reason (some smart ones) are tearing down the older tiny homes and building brand spanking new homes throughout. Come drive around and see for yourself. Thats your best advice, see for yourself and ignore the negative jabs from lurkers here. :D

and no I am not a realtor, etc we just want good new neighbors like it used to be.

I thought you said you lived near Jackson Jr High area? Thats a far cry from Broadmoor.

This area is coming back I would hang in there truthfully. Remember anywhere else that looks attractive may have high taxes to pay and that makes a big difference for many.

See Sunnyland topic, they are still giving these homes away, thats another reason (some smart ones) are tearing down the older tiny homes and building brand spanking new homes throughout. Come drive around and see for yourself. Thats your best advice, see for yourself and ignore the negative jabs from lurkers here. :D

and no I am not a realtor, etc we just want good new neighbors like it used to be.

I do. I want to stay in the East End. My girlfriend thinks I should look elsewhere. I see potential and optimistic about the future of the area. She doesn't (she's stays near Oak Forest, so she thinks this place is the "slums"). I tell her it's improving.

I do. I want to stay in the East End. My girlfriend thinks I should look elsewhere. I see potential and optimistic about the future of the area. She doesn't (she's stays near Oak Forest, so she thinks this place is the "slums"). I tell her it's improving.

Sorry but I burst out laughing when you said slums, but I'm sure you have a sense of humor! :lol:

I have heard all of those kinds of comments from some of the most educated newcomers to this city. They normally go by rumours or media related crapola. Even us local yokels crack jokes about it but its all good.

still chuckling...

Archived