Where Can I Find Inexpensive Brand Name Matresses

PapillionWyngs

...but Ike insisted (the Hurricane) that we get a new roof, instead. Regardless of no funds, the mattress that we have is 11 years old, and is breaking down on the sides. We have to literally "remake" the fitted sheet and mattress protector part of the bed every night, and the sheets come off while we are sleeping.

I looked at the ads for the Dump, even heard some advertisements, but those prices are too steep. We were ripped off (I think) when we bought mattresses from Hilton, because you can't turn them over - and I feel like we paid too much for twin mattresses (bought 4 years ago).

So is there anywhere that I just don't know about where we can afford a nice, name brand mattress?

My back thanks you in advance...

We just bought the best mattress I have ever slept on - Simmons Beautyrest with Felicity pillowtop (I discovered it at a resort in the Austin hill country) - from, of all places, Macy's. They're running a mega-sale (I think it's still going), and we got it about half-price. But not all Macy's have mattress depts. I think only First Colony mall Sugar Land and Memorial City. Delivery - and removal of the old one - went off without a hitch, and they'll call you the day before delivery to set a very tight time window for delivery (no hanging out at home all day).

Some online research warned me away from the mattress-only stores that try to get you with extra fees, among other service issues. A lot of upset people writing reviews out there...

We bought ours from the place next to Bike Barn on Kirby. We got a demo one for half the full price. It was not dirty, but we cleaned the dickens out of it. They said they wanted to get it off the floor after only a couple weeks because they wanted to put a king on display instead of the queen. Maybe, maybe not, but no smells, no stains, disinfected, it's been great. I used to make fun of sissies that said they need new mattresses. I can sleep anywhere!! Haha. After we got this one, I am a sissy. I love my mattress and whine when I have to stay on other sub-awesome beds.

I used to make fun of sissies that said they need new mattresses. I can sleep anywhere!! Haha. After we got this one, I am a sissy. I love my mattress and whine when I have to stay on other sub-awesome beds.

Yeah, a long time ago, in a different life, I was an America hating futon owner. I was proud of my affinity for third world peoples' sleeping habits. Then I went on a business trip and spent a night on a giant, firm mattress. There were no lumps of straw sticking out of it, no wooden frame slats biting into my back, just hours of uneventfully peaceful, wealthy, fascist sleep. Thus began my slow decline into America love. Now I live in the suburbs and listen to Dean Martin. I'm even thinking of buying a (shudder) headboard.

What about Mattress Mack?! We live in Houston... and yet no one on here has bought a mattress from him? Anybody? Does he really "save you money!" ?

My current mattress was purchased in Austin, about 10 years ago, for dirt cheap. It has stamped on it "AS IS". I guess it was an irregular...

Craigslist. Probably won't be TOO many stains ? <_<;):lol:

You do that TJ. Go ahead. Buy that craigslist mattress.

Oh what the hell... I couldn't resist... had to check craigslist...

Here's one for you, TJ:

http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/963836979.html

I have a used king size Serta mattress only for sale. I do not have the boxsprings. It's in decent condition with lots of life left in it. This does have a few stains and regular wear and tear. This mattress is about 5 years old. It is a medium plush, meaning it's not too hard or too soft. I can deliver for $25.00 extra. Please leave phone number and I will call you back.

DISGUSTING.

EDIT: TJ, the mattress is only $75. A steal!

What about Mattress Mack?! We live in Houston... and yet no one on here has bought a mattress from him? Anybody? Does he really "save you money!" ?

My current mattress was purchased in Austin, about 10 years ago, for dirt cheap. It has stamped on it "AS IS". I guess it was an irregular...

You do that TJ. Go ahead. Buy that craigslist mattress.

Oh what the hell... I couldn't resist... had to check craigslist...

Here's one for you, TJ:

http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/963836979.html

I have a used king size Serta mattress only for sale. I do not have the boxsprings. It's in decent condition with lots of life left in it. This does have a few stains and regular wear and tear. This mattress is about 5 years old. It is a medium plush, meaning it's not too hard or too soft. I can deliver for $25.00 extra. Please leave phone number and I will call you back.

DISGUSTING.

EDIT: TJ, the mattress is only $75. A steal!

It is worth checking Craigslist for ads from retail stores, though. We got a great deal from a mattress store that listed there; it must have been a surplus or floor model or something, but it was brand new in packaging.

Yeah, a long time ago, in a different life, I was an America hating futon owner. I was proud of my affinity for third world peoples' sleeping habits. Then I went on a business trip and spent a night on a giant, firm mattress. There were no lumps of straw sticking out of it, no wooden frame slats biting into my back, just hours of uneventfully peaceful, wealthy, fascist sleep. Thus began my slow decline into America love. Now I live in the suburbs and listen to Dean Martin. I'm even thinking of buying a (shudder) headboard.

Be careful, or you may get sucked so far into mattress elitism that you get a cal-king size memory foam bed. It happened to me. Now, I can't believe I ever slept on puny, queen-sized coils. I never thought I could love a bed so much.

Plus, if you buy a memory foam mattresses online, you get to break the packaging and watch it expand like giant, puffy sea monkey, and wonder how they ever got so much mattress goodness into such a small box.

Be careful, or you may get sucked so far into mattress elitism that you get a cal-king size memory foam bed. It happened to me. Now, I can't believe I ever slept on puny, queen-sized coils. I never thought I could love a bed so much.

Plus, if you buy a memory foam mattresses online, you get to break the packaging and watch it expand like giant, puffy sea monkey, and wonder how they ever got so much mattress goodness into such a small box.

I can't do anything smaller than a king, and I'd probably have to buy a new house to shoe-horn in a cal-king, but I'm wary of foam, both the remembering and forgetful varieties. I keep hearing foam traps heat, and that brings up painful futon memories. And really, I want a mattress that forgets about me as soon as possible.

I'd be careful about going too cheap. Remember that this is a 10 year investment - 3650+ days. If one mattress gives you a great night of restful sleep and another doesn't, isn't that well worth an extra dime or two a day?

As with almost everything, the places to avoid are the upper and lower end of the price curves. Best value is in the middle - probably $1K to $2K for a king-size on sale.

I can't do anything smaller than a king, and I'd probably have to buy a new house to shoe-horn in a cal-king, but I'm wary of foam, both the remembering and forgetful varieties. I keep hearing foam traps heat, and that brings up painful futon memories. And really, I want a mattress that forgets about me as soon as possible.

Your mattress wishes that, just once, you would stay for breakfast.

I was wary of the heat trap thing too, but it has not been a problem for me. I think there are different kinds of foam and mattress covers.

I'd be careful about going too cheap. Remember that this is a 10 year investment - 3650+ days. If one mattress gives you a great night of restful sleep and another doesn't, isn't that well worth an extra dime or two a day?

As with almost everything, the places to avoid are the upper and lower end of the price curves. Best value is in the middle - probably $1K to $2K for a king-size on sale.

Almost all mattresses have the same inner springs made by just a couple of companies. Everything else is fluff. If you pay $2000 for a mattress, you got jobbed. Sorry, there is no nice way to put it. And that includes those pillow tops, and the high profile mattresses. This past spring, I spent $24 on lumber and brackets to raise my 21 year old mattress 4 inches higher on the frame. Then I spent $40 on a 2 inch pillow top mattress cover at Bed Bath & Beyond. Voila. High profile mattress. Since it has sheets on it, no one can tell that it is the same set I bought in 1987. Still hard as a rock.

Believe it or not, I have been told by several people that Mattress Mac does in fact have some of the best mattress prices. However, be aware that his people put the hard sell on you. Don't buy more than you need. And don't fall for the hype of fancy stitching. It is a mattress, covered by sheets. No one will know.

Can you still buy a Sealy in Sealy?

"In the small town of Sealy, Texas just outside of Houston, a cotton gin builder and operator by the name of Daniel Haynes responded to a request from a neighbor and built a cotton-filled mattress in 1881. The product was so favorably received that Daniel Haynes began receiving more and more requests from neighbors and relatives. Encouraged by the response, Haynes invented a machine that compressed cotton for use in mattresses and received a patent for his invention in 1889."

Houston, first in modern mattresses!

You hear that giant sucking sound? Mrs. Bag and I tried out a $5k Tempur-Pedic today. We loved it and want it, but $5k for a bed is insane.

What kind did you get, Crunch?

You hear that giant sucking sound? Mrs. Bag and I tried out a $5k Tempur-Pedic today. We loved it and want it, but $5k for a bed is insane.

What kind did you get, Crunch?

Tempurpedic is robbery; I'm convinced you pay for the name only. Mine is a Body Zone. Heard about it on a rec from a friend and was able to road test at their place before buying. I bought from an online retailer no longer around, but as far as I know the bed company still is. I've been told that a comparable is NovaForm sold thru Costco. I paid about $1,000 for a cal king on a special. I've had it for a few years now and still as good as new.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up:

Mrs. Bag and I purchased a Novaform Comfortluxe foam mattress from Costco. At first we thought it was way too soft, and started the return process, but then we realized it was soft because it was on top of our old box springs. We bought an Ikea bed with hard slats and it feels fantastic. I like a hard mattress while the Mrs. likes a soft mattress, but we're both happy with this one. It gives just enough to be comfortable, but provides even support everywhere you touch it. And there's no motion transfer. It was $1000 with free shipping. Much better deal than the $5000 Tempur-pedic.

Follow up:

Mrs. Bag and I purchased a Novaform Comfortluxe foam mattress from Costco. At first we thought it was way too soft, and started the return process, but then we realized it was soft because it was on top of our old box springs. We bought an Ikea bed with hard slats and it feels fantastic. I like a hard mattress while the Mrs. likes a soft mattress, but we're both happy with this one. It gives just enough to be comfortable, but provides even support everywhere you touch it. And there's no motion transfer. It was $1000 with free shipping. Much better deal than the $5000 Tempur-pedic.

I'm glad the Bags are happy with the nonTempurpedic foam. The Cap'n and I have the same hard/soft issues, and the foam works great. So much better than the traditional box spring/coil mattress. Like buttah.

I'm glad the Bags are happy with the nonTempurpedic foam. The Cap'n and I have the same hard/soft issues, and the foam works great. So much better than the traditional box spring/coil mattress. Like buttah.

Thanks for recommending NovaForm and Costco, Crunch. One visit to the warehouse sucked Mrs. Bag into a flat screen HDTV trance, which convinced her that I should go ahead and buy a 46" set for the bedroom. Now we're lounging in style on our cut-rate bed, hypnotized by HGTV in high-def on our cut-rate TV. Mmmm, Americany.

...but Ike insisted (the Hurricane) that we get a new roof, instead. Regardless of no funds, the mattress that we have is 11 years old, and is breaking down on the sides. We have to literally "remake" the fitted sheet and mattress protector part of the bed every night, and the sheets come off while we are sleeping.

I looked at the ads for the Dump, even heard some advertisements, but those prices are too steep. We were ripped off (I think) when we bought mattresses from Hilton, because you can't turn them over - and I feel like we paid too much for twin mattresses (bought 4 years ago).

So is there anywhere that I just don't know about where we can afford a nice, name brand mattress?

My back thanks you in advance...

If you want a Tempur-Pedic like matteress without the chemicals or price, there is a superior eco-version called EcoMemoryFoam.

serenity.gif

You don't sleep hot, since it has open-cells.

James Craig Furnishings is currently the only place I believe you can purchase this.

Check out page 48 of the January issue of 002.

For those who want to save even more check the quick-summary post here http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/320543 .

I made one myself back in grad school 5 years ago and very happy since. My cost was about $275 for queen. Basically you get a high density foam for the bottom and memory foam for the top. Mattress cover to keep it together.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived