dallasmetropolis

TexasVines

what does it take to be able to post on dallasmetropolis....registered, got the email, clicked it, am a memebr, still not approved to post....has been several days....sent an email to the mod...no reply and no action from a PM to him from the "contact us"

pretty good way to have no traffic for a site!

I ask because people on this forum often participate on other forums similar to this one for other cities and I can't get any answers at that site

it is really that difficult to figure out.....and I ask in the DALLAS section of this forum.....again not hard to figure out....sort of like when someone ask what was going on with swamplot a few months back.....not this forum....but people from this forum go to it a lot

what does it take to be able to post on dallasmetropolis....registered, got the email, clicked it, am a memebr, still not approved to post....has been several days....sent an email to the mod...no reply and no action from a PM to him from the "contact us"

pretty good way to have no traffic for a site!

I think someone might just be asleep at the switch. I registered over there a few months ago and had my account approved within a day or so. Maybe it's time to send another email?

Send another email. I think only a couple of the moderators have the ability to approve users and with the holidays a lot of people have been out on vacation.

Not to mention the site looks rather dead. The last few weeks, it has been running about a third of the people that HAIF does. Not sure if it was always that way, or just the topics that I was interested in have slowed considerably.

Not to mention the site looks rather dead. The last few weeks, it has been running about a third of the people that HAIF does. Not sure if it was always that way, or just the topics that I was interested in have slowed considerably.

I think it's been very slow recently overall. Probably because they don't have much to talk about right now. I mean how many times can you repeat that you think Museum Tower is really going to be built?

I think the most active thread recently has been the street level retail thread where they have been giddy about getting a 7-11 and a State Farm agent downtown. (While here at HAIF we complain that all we get is a large bookstore, clothing stores and significant concert venue/restaurant.)

;-)

I think the most active thread recently has been the street level retail thread where they have been giddy about getting a 7-11 and a State Farm agent downtown. (While here at HAIF we complain that all we get is a large bookstore, clothing stores and significant concert venue/restaurant.)

;-)

Hey, ONE ARTS PLACE IS SUPERCOOL.

End of discussion. :P

Though yeah, I have been surprised that a number of people would've advocated for more of them as a piece of the puzzle for retail in an urban area. At least there's honesty about the Victory Park situation at present. Kinda looking forward to checking it out in a week or so to see what the story really is.

I think it's been very slow recently overall. Probably because they don't have much to talk about right now. I mean how many times can you repeat that you think Museum Tower is really going to be built?

;-)

I'm reading the Victory Park thread now. It's interesting.

• 1 month later...

well, totheskies, posts 2 and 3 of this thread show how well bringing up Dallas works here. But since the other forum is not dedicated to talking about Houston, I don't see why they'd want to start.

Dallasmetropolis was more considerate (thoughtfulness both in terms of intelligent, lengthy discussion, and in terms of being self-effacing or at least just not flaming people) for many years, but lately it and HAIF are pretty indistinguishable when it comes to curtness between posters. Maybe it's a stressed-out incivility to do with the national circling of the drain. The attitude toward Houston in particular has to do with the fact that Dallas' social class defines itself apart from Texas where the other cities are happier being Texan. And some of Houston's hostility toward Dallas is because people pick up on that desire to reject even being like the rest of Texas.

The attitude toward Houston in particular has to do with the fact that Dallas' social class defines itself apart from Texas where the other cities are happier being Texan. And some of Houston's hostility toward Dallas is because people pick up on that desire to reject even being like the rest of Texas.

It's funny you say that. I think there was a poll on here a while ago about whether people from Houston considered themselves Texans or Houstonians and I was surprised how many people didn't say Texans. Many times I've been asked from Europeans why everyone says they're from "Dallas Texas" instead of just Dallas. I guess there just is a huge Texas pride thing that rubs off on even non-natives. From the persepctive of U.S. citizens outside of Texas, I think they would definitely disagree about a desire to reject Texas, in fact they would state the opposite to the point of being excessive about it.

Jason

well, totheskies, posts 2 and 3 of this thread show how well bringing up Dallas works here. But since the other forum is not dedicated to talking about Houston, I don't see why they'd want to start.

Dallasmetropolis was more considerate (thoughtfulness both in terms of intelligent, lengthy discussion, and in terms of being self-effacing or at least just not flaming people) for many years, but lately it and HAIF are pretty indistinguishable when it comes to curtness between posters. Maybe it's a stressed-out incivility to do with the national circling of the drain. The attitude toward Houston in particular has to do with the fact that Dallas' social class defines itself apart from Texas where the other cities are happier being Texan. And some of Houston's hostility toward Dallas is because people pick up on that desire to reject even being like the rest of Texas.

Insightful post. It definitely rings true on some level, although I'm not sure if Dallas disassociates itself so much with Texas as the idea of how Texas is perceived, if that makes sense. As in, I've always gotten the sense that Dallas wanted to redefine Texas, and that's why they seem to cringe at the thought of being perceived as uneducated, uncouth, backwards hicks, while Houston doesn't turn its back on its working man roots and hasn't worried much about how it's been perceived until recently. I guess we are essentially saying the same thing. I'm curious, though, where do you think Austin fits into this? I've long found it incredulous that outsiders believe it to be so unlike the rest of Texas, when I see glaring markers of TEXAN everywhere there.

Yeah, good question, and first of all I want to encourage you to keep thinking along these lines in everyday life after our conversation is through. With Austin I would say it comes down to presentability. The Eastern United States are full of, to use a first approximation, lushness; the West, of grandeur. But here, once you get out of the woods going west or out of the canyonlands coming east, it is Texas' characteristic nature not to be plush nor to be calendar-scenic (in even the way that the Great Plains are in the midsection to the north) but to be scruffily unpresentable. I would not underestimate how far this extends into our ethos, either. To be laid-back in Texas is not at all the "whatever, man" of the Californian. It is more along the lines of a contentment to let work be work and leisure leisure, which you can see in our barbecue.

In the Carolinas or the Kansas City sauces, a perfected technique is often a matter of pride essential to the whole undertaking; with Texans it'll just as often turn out however the cook figured he would let it turn out today. The average taste execution may be lower here: there is something faithful to barbecue about blowing off perfection, don't you think? Sure, sometimes it's sublime here, but on high peak days or low ones I am satisfied to count that faithfulness as a deeper achievement, a higher and more consequential kind of quality, than a quality taste. That is the spirit that I get from Texas towns and from what I see of the way Texans get to live as I visit around. It is a casualness that matters, and it is lost on thoughtful residents who feel great conviction that doing things better (whether the hot topic is regulation-related or otherwise) is simply better; I see very well what they mean and why they have no plans to back down from their advocacy, but optimization misses the underlying point.

Austin, then, is unlike the rest of Texas in that it is the place that is easiest for someone to like while still kidding themselves that they despise what Texas is about. I don't mean in terms of being a political priss and declaring, "I'm not going to recognize any place else as human unless it stops being creepy and gets on the right side of history and votes like a coastal city." I mean primarily that it's the place which to a foreigner feels most like their comfortable California home - that is, perfectly presentable. To my eye the scruffy unpresentability is still at play - the Hill Country is the one zone of Texas that every other part agrees on, after all, and Dobie said or quoted that every Texan has two homes, his own and San Antonio - but it's evident that one doesn't have to embrace very much of it to praise what's there. I hope this has some usefulness. I trust it gets some more richness springing up when you look around.

I see most Dallasites as just the opposite. To me they definitely seem to be the most gungho Texans of all of Texas, the type who reinforce the Texas stereotype with pride. I see the majority of Houstonians as just Houstonians rather than Texans, sans a few groups here and there.

Simply put, Dallas IS Texas... thanks to the show, the old stereotypes about the area, and just a better position in the national view, Dallas has become the "iconic symbol" for urban Texans. Austin and San Antonio have their own brands, but no one ever questions their relationship to Texas.

Houston is different. The problem with Houstonians is not that we don't identify with Texas, but we still don't know where our city fits with anyone or anywhere yet. There's no catchy nicknames, worldwide popular shows, or any real icon that defines our city. The things that are special about us are just too dissimilar... palm trees and thick southern oaks? Spacemen and Cowboys?? humidity and traffic?? Skyscrapers shoot out of every direction. There's not much to pigeon hole us as there is in Dallas (TV show), Austin (government, UT Hill Coutry and weird), or San Antonio (Alamo, Riverwalk).

BTW I really LIKE this quality of Houston... it's a city that always feels "new" and undiscovered.... it's not a bad thing. BTW(2), we are definitely Texans this month with the rodeo... we can go back to being oil-rich, screwed and chopped Cajun Californians in April.

• 4 years later...

Houston is no L.a. people don't believe that at all live in Dallas but visit l.a. all the time in fact Dallas would be more like l.a. with there many cities surrounding l.a. plus dfw has hills etc .I'm telling you don't believe that Guyana

Archived