Elizabeth Glover Park At 3104 Austin St.

Mr. Chenevert

I noticed a Houston Parks sign for a new park has been put up on a small piece of land at the corner of Elgin and Austin. It says Aquired 2008. I cant remember the name of the park, Elizabeth Grogan or something like that. Does anyone know whats going on there?

Right now its a vacant lot with a white garage building on one side.

I noticed a Houston Parks sign for a new park has been put up on a small piece of land at the corner of Elgin and Austin. It says Aquired 2008. I cant remember the name of the park, Elizabeth Grogan or something like that. Does anyone know whats going on there?

Right now its a vacant lot with a white garage building on one side.

I noticed it too. Odd that a park can be that small.

I noticed it too. Odd that a park can be that small.

I was thinking possibly a dog park. I remember a year or two ago their being talk of having a dedicated dog park in Midtown since Baldwin has been turned into a unofficial dog park by the residents.

I figure, although small, could be a perfect little dog park if fenced in and given a few shade trees.

I was thinking possibly a dog park. I remember a year or two ago their being talk of having a dedicated dog park in Midtown since Baldwin has been turned into a unofficial dog park by the residents.

I figure, although small, could be a perfect little dog park if fenced in and given a few shade trees.

I kind of like the idea of small parks where you can just curl up with a book or sit and enjoy the weather in peace, instead of throngs of people at larger parks.

I kind of like the idea of small parks where you can just curl up with a book or sit and enjoy the weather in peace, instead of throngs of people at larger parks.

but, in this case you'll be smelling poop while reading a book. :P

Well, instead of speculating on the park... I decided to email the parks department. Their response was...

The property at Elgin and Austin is a new acquisition, and at this time no plans have been made for development. It will probably be maintained as open green space.

I live right down the street and was hoping for a new park. If they continue to maintain it as green space... does this mean that we can just make it a dog park on our own? :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...

Hey uppity, ;)

This place already exists. Check it out on google maps or bing. Or better yet, visit it in your spare time :) I've only driven by it, not walked through it. Not sure I've ever seen anyone else there either.

• Like 1

oops! Thanks lockmat. :)

It looks like you removed your initial post (so I'm not sure what you were asking), but if you are wondering about parks in Midtown, you should check out Baldwin Park...

View Here It has some really huge old trees that kids love to climb on. Also has a jogging trail around it.

Midtown Park is used for events every now and then. People mostly walk dogs there.

Heh, I am a huge fan of the park on the corner of Elgin and Austin, I can't remember the name of it though, and COH is so proud of it, they don't list it on their site..

The only "park" at Elgin and Austin is Elizabeth Grover that was acquired by the COH last year (it's really just an empty lot right now). There are talks to make it a community garden next year.

Edited by brian0123

The only "park" at Elgin and Austin is Elizabeth Grover that was acquired by the COH last year (it's really just an empty lot right now). There are talks to make it a community garden next year.

Yes, that is the name!

Smallest.

Park.

Ever.

Community garden would be cool though.

Yes, that is the name!

Smallest.

Park.

Ever.

Community garden would be cool though.

I just wish they would put a fence around it until they figure out what they actually want to do with it. So I could let my dogs play! It would make a kick ass dog park.........walking distance of a lot of us dog walkers who don't trust their dogs enough to run free at balwin park.

I just wish they would put a fence around it until they figure out what they actually want to do with it. So I could let my dogs play! It would make a kick ass dog park.........walking distance of a lot of us dog walkers who don't trust their dogs enough to run free at balwin park.

Why not ask the city to turn it into a good sized portion for a dog park? I'm sure the dog walkers would certain appreciate it.

There is an "unofficial" dog park over at Taft and West Gray in the open field behind the school.

Get a shock collar... err, a stimulation collar.

After a learning her new boundaries, my dog never tried t go past the gravel track. And while I kept the collar on her for about a year, I can count on one hand the number of times I actually had to "stimulate" her...

Once you can trust them to run at Baldwin, its a great park... doggie water fountain, plenty of room to play fetch, etc.

• The title was changed to New Park At Elgin St. And Austin St.
  • The title was changed to Elizabeth Glover Park At 3104 Austin St.