House with Yard for $150K - Where To Buy?

erin

Our budget is $150k-180k.

Work just north of Galleria - willing to drive 20-30 minutes in traffic to commute.

We have young kids and I want to be fairly comfortable walking the neighborhood alone with them during the day.

Townhome is no longer an option as we need a yard for the kids.

Schools are not a huge issue as we will prob not public school.

So is this possible to find something in this price range? Is Hwy 290 a good option? Heights? What about the area between I-10 and 290? Are any of these areas decent?

Oak Forest and Shepherd Forest (77018 area) would seem to meet your criteria...although the houses are pretty small. Shepherd Forest and Oak Forest in 77092 have larger houses, for less money but they're a bit further from town, and I'm not sure what schools they're zoned to. Anything in 77018 is zoned to Oak Forest elementary or Garden Oaks elementary....both are quite good from what I understand.

77021. We're in South Union...it could fit all your criteria. Depends on your personal comfort level...it's perfectly safe, but speaking honestly, I know plenty of white people who just aren't comfortable around blacks. It is what it is.

You could buy a house AND a vacant lot next door for a nicer-sized yard.

Price of course depends on the size you're looking for. On our street we've got the original 2 bed/1 bath 800 sf homes, and we've got 4000 sf homes with 3-car garage. Original homes are over 60 years old now, and most need help. Best help for many of them would be to tear them down.

I think the drive would fit your range...just depends on where in the Galleria area you're talking about, and whether or not you have to get on the West Loop. If you can avoid that, you can get just about anywhere in town (inside 6/1960) within 30 minutes.

Archived