New Key Card to disable Cell Phone use in car

TJones

Ok, so they are coming out with a new Key Card for vehicles that will disable cellphone usage while driving. I personally think they should make it mandatory in ALL cars. But, before you say "WHAT IF YOU HAVE A WRECK AND CAN"T GET OUT OF THE CAR!" Well, there are safeguards for this, I would make the key card enabled if the airbags show to have been deployed, or the engine is off. If you breakdown, you can always step out of the vehicle to use the phone or simply put the car in park to enable the phone.

What do you folks think.

But, before you say "WHAT IF YOU HAVE A WRECK AND CAN"T GET OUT OF THE CAR!" Well, there are safeguards for this, I would make the key card enabled if the airbags show to have been deployed, or the engine is off. If you breakdown, you can always step out of the vehicle to use the phone or simply put the car in park to enable the phone.

What do you folks think.

bad idea. assuming that this specific system functions properly, it may work but in a wreck scenario you dont know what could happen to the electronics

I think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work.

If it's essentially a tiny cell phone jammer. So if you're driving down the street you end up cutting off all of the conversations being legally had by people sitting in their parked cars or walking on the sidewalk.

Anyone who knows anything about radio waves knows that it's very difficult to get them to do exactly what you want them to do.

--edit--

OK, after further checking on this all it does is connect to your phone via Bluetooth and turn the ringer and incoming text notification off. So, it's entirely voluntary since you'd have to pair the key with your phone. People who would do that are not the people swerving out of their lanes while yapping on the phone. They're already using headsets or not taking calls while they're driving.

It will only work, INSIDE the car. It won't cut anybody else off Ed. It doesn't work that way. It is like the "Intelligent Key" on my Altima, Murano, and Maximas. It will have some kind of built-in range finder.

MusicM, like I said, it would become enabled in a wreck or if the engine is off. It can only work with a powersource, and it can only work if the car is in any gear other than park.

It will only work, INSIDE the car. It won't cut anybody else off Ed. It doesn't work that way. It is like the "Intelligent Key" on my Altima, Murano, and Maximas. It will have some kind of built-in range finder.

MusicM, like I said, it would become enabled in a wreck or if the engine is off. It can only work with a powersource, and it can only work if the car is in any gear other than park.

Funny...You can probably hack it like many in dash stereos that have "safe mode" to prevent you from adjusting the gps once the car moves. Mine was a simple grounded wire :) It's a good idea BUT my wife often calls 5 mins before i get home to pick something up...Imaging me not getting home with the crap she wanted !

Ok, so they are coming out with a new Key Card for vehicles that will disable cellphone usage while driving. I personally think they should make it mandatory in ALL cars. But, before you say "WHAT IF YOU HAVE A WRECK AND CAN"T GET OUT OF THE CAR!" Well, there are safeguards for this, I would make the key card enabled if the airbags show to have been deployed, or the engine is off. If you breakdown, you can always step out of the vehicle to use the phone or simply put the car in park to enable the phone.

What do you folks think.

sounds like big brother watching over to me, but that's just me

• The title was changed to New Key Card to disable Cell Phone use in car

Archived