http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.j...t=.jsp&team=hou

The year 1836 has always held place of special meaning in Houston, as it was the year of the city's founding and the year Texas became an independent republic. The number took on added meaning Wednesday afternoon, as it officially became the name of the Houston club in Major League Soccer.

I actually like the name now. At first it did not sound that great, but it has a good ring to it. The colors and logo for this team are pretty decent.

Edited by CincoRanch-HoustonResident
  • Like 1

Well, no one calls San Fransisco the 1849ers or Philadelphia the 1776ers, so give it a week or two and everyone will be calling these guys the 36ers.

that's because those aren't their names. the 49ers were what people who came for the gold rush were called. the team names were never 1849 or 1776.

this should stay Houston 1836 i would hope. it also follows the style in Europe, goes more with soccer. 36ers doesn't sound right if you ask me.

but then again, i don't hear myself saying, "hey, you want to go to an 1836 game?"

• Like 1

Strange name to me, not only sounding strange, but that it represents the loss of Tejas by the Mexicans to the revolutionaries. Usually we see ultra-sensitivity to something that would potentially alienate an ethnic group, especially since foreign-born Mexicans are likely going to be a large part of the fan base.

I think it's a sign of progress that we can pick a name like this without that sort of whining backlash.

Now, if they try to stage something like after each goal a Sam Houston look-alike on horseback rides along the sidelines with an effigy of Santa Anna being dragged behind him by a rope.........that would be too much.

:lol:

that's because those aren't their names. the 49ers were what people who came for the gold rush were called. the team names were never 1849 or 1776.

this should stay Houston 1836 i would hope. it also follows the style in Europe, goes more with soccer. 36ers doesn't sound right if you ask me.

but then again, i don't hear myself saying, "hey, you want to go to an 1836 game?"

Oh, whatever, that's like saying I can't call myself Rob because my birth Certificate says Robert. 49ers of the Gold Rush got the name because the migration was in 1849, and the 76ers are named that because Philly was the center of the Revolution that if you didn't know was in 1776. The fact that the "49ers" already were a noun when the football team took the name does not discount the fact that at some point someone started calling the 1849ers the 49ers. When Philly came up with the name, they went ahead and shortened Spirit of 1776ers to 76ers up front. The fact that Houston didn't do this to begin with does not stop us from calling them the 36ers, or the Sixers for that matter.

Oh, whatever, that's like saying I can't call myself Rob because my birth Certificate says Robert.

that's fine, they can have the nickname "36ers"

my point is, on San Fran and Phillie's birth certificate, it says "49ers" and "76ers" - its their given name, not a nickname. there are teams out there that have nicknames, like the knickerbockers.

but i like Houston 1836 better, goes more with the sport if you ask me.

Strange name to me, not only sounding strange, but that it represents the loss of Tejas by the Mexicans to the revolutionaries. Usually we see ultra-sensitivity to something that would potentially alienate an ethnic group, especially since foreign-born Mexicans are likely going to be a large part of the fan base.

I think it's a sign of progress that we can pick a name like this without that sort of whining backlash.

Now, if they try to stage something like after each goal a Sam Houston look-alike on horseback rides along the sidelines with an effigy of Santa Anna being dragged behind him by a rope.........that would be too much.

:lol:

from everything i've heard and read, 1836 (in this case) represents the founding of Houston. there's never been any mention of the Alamo or Independence related to the teamname. Hopefully it will not alienate anyone, nor should it.

i think they should make it houston 1837:

from the handbookof texas

The legislature first met in Houston on May 1, 1837, and, despite the efforts of Masons who greeted one another in 1837 and the Presbyterians and Episcopalians who formed churches in 1839, the town remained infamous for drunkenness, dueling, brawling, prostitution, and profanity.

now that's more like it ^_^

I think it's a sign that Mexicans/Mexican-Americans in Houston aren't paying attention to MLS soccer. :P

from the handbookof texas

The legislature first met in Houston on May 1, 1837, and, despite the efforts of Masons who greeted one another in 1837 and the Presbyterians and Episcopalians who formed churches in 1839, the town remained infamous for drunkenness, dueling, brawling, prostitution, and profanity.

Apparantly not much has changed since 1837 :lol::lol::lol:

(please don't beat me up for that one :P )

Hopefully it will not alienate anyone, nor should it.

ok, it was found offensive by many, from a chron article:

...However, the name couldn't escape some controversy.

Because the name and logo were leaked through a breach of the league's Web site Tuesday, they were on virtually every major news outlet in the city by Wednesday morning. Calls and e-mails began pouring in to Spanish TV and radio stations, with some finding their way to the Chronicle and its blog.

The messages came from fans upset by the name's link to other significant events in Texas history that some Hispanics might find offensive.

Those events include Texas' independence from Mexico, the Battle of the Alamo and the defeat of Gen. Antonio L

I agree, strange name indeed. In case, however, when you hear a whinning backlash-I'm betting on it-remind the whiners that the Texans were at war with Mexico for independence. While Santa Anna's troops snoozed under the live oaks at San Jacinto, Houston's troops woke them up-so to speak ;)

Santa Anna was captured the next day trying to escape wearing a disguise and admitted defeat.

So inshort, there was a war, the Texans won and Mexico lost. No one stole anything from anyone.

{i just wish they had used "The Challangers" :( }

B)

Edited by nmainguy

ok, it was found offensive by many, from a chron article:

I wonder, if this christopher fellow was up set about the 36ers, then do you think british citizens get upset when they hear about the 76ers or the Patriots? I think these people who complain about these things just can't find anything better to with their time. Life is too short to moan about Redskins, Chiefs, and even a team that has yet to play a game in this city. Chill out people, have a drink of the good stuff and watch some T.V. Oh, and make it a double when you're watching the Rockets Game.

One more thing, I like DJ V Lawrence's Three 6 Mafia nickname better. Maybe the three best players

on the team could also be known as the Geto Boys! Willie D, Bushwick Bill, and Scarface! :D

This has got to be one of the stupidest controversies I've heard of recently. Anyone in Houston offended should just leave then. I mean, how could a person who lives here get offended by using the year the very city they live in was incorporated? That guy who wrote into the Chronicle is an idiot - I know that's not a very constructive comment, but "anti-immigrant?" I just don't even see how that makes sense. In some of these p.c. arguments I can at least see one side of the fence, but I just don't even see it in this one. Do the British shudder everytime they hear the 76ers are playing? its not like the team is called the Houston "Thank god we won independence from mexico"

Its not a blunder and that anyone would even call it that is also stupid. I can understand if someone doesn't like the name out of just simple personal taste, but being offended by it is really a low point in the new political correctness world we live in.

By the way, the Chronicle blogs were talking about how most soccer teams also have a secondary nickname/ mascot - I guess one of the options was "La Pachanga" - which means "the rowdy party" in spanish. Which I actually kind of like, but I'm sure now someone will write in and say that its a bad stereotype of how hispanics do nothing but party or that we party because we beat mexico in 1836 or something else equally idiotic.

The only people upset are the "professional minorities" --those who make a living out of playing the racial/ethnic divide--and other sour-puss lefty types. Who cares what people like that think anyway?

This will pass soon enough, especially if they end up being a winning team! Besides, in today's political climate, who could possibly come up with a name that woudn't be offensive to somebody?

Hmmmmmmm.....3 6ers, Three Sixers, Thirty Sixers, 36ers, 666 ers <---------YIKES ! It is all about Satan ! I knew it !

I'm sure LULAC will throw their 2centsers in there about this. C'mon Johnny Mata, don't let me down. Remember you saw it here from me first.

Edited by TJones

We should have just made fun of ourselves as a city. Then nobody would care. I still like...

Houston It's Worth Its

Houston Strip Maulers

Houston Pollution

Houston Flood

Houston Storm Refuge

Houston Evacuees

How about The Houston Smog! No logo, just haze gray...

...thought of another one... how about The RoadRagers! It's got kind of an aggressive edge to it!

Edited by mike1