Sign in to follow this  
Paul1956

Houston Metro Airport in Clear Lake?

For a short period of time there was a small airport on Old Galveston Rd, across from Ellington Field. They ran commuter flights to Houston Intercontinental only, as I recall.

Ring any bells?

For a short period of time there was a small airport on Old Galveston Rd, across from Ellington Field. They ran commuter flights to Houston Intercontinental only, as I recall.

Ring any bells?

Yep, it existed. It was a STOL (Short TakeOff/Landing) field, and it was called Clear Lake Metro Port. It opened up sometime between 1964-69, and was closed in 1986.

Check this out for more info:

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freema..._Houston_SE.htm

I remember it well and used it a lot. The planes flown out of there were the Twin Otter types. Very nice planes and a lot of fun to fly in during rough weather.

Metro Airlines was immediately missed and really was an asset to us flying out of IAH.

Also in that area was the Gulf-Houston airport, which was closed about eight years ago, the runway and hangers torn up and removed, and housing subdivisions built on the land.

Edited by John Rich

As a waitress in 1979-80 at Sambo's [NASA Rd 1 across from the (former) Holiday Inn] then at Denny's at Baybrook Mall, I used to serve the maintainence men from the CL Metro Airport their 2:00 a.m. meals.  Allen Samuels car dealership was on the land after the airport closed.  Now there is a building on Hwy 3 named Hanger Clinic.

Edited by ColetteM
Add dates