Snow in Houston today?

editor

This just in...

---------

DRIVING ON SLICK OR ICY ROADS

Harris County's Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management (OHSEM) reminds motorists that when temperatures reach at or just above 32-degrees, a thin layer of water on the roads and highways can turn to slick ice, making for dangerous driving conditions.

OHSEM offers the following driving tips to motorists traveling slick or icy roads:

Know your vehicle and how it operates. Not all cars respond the same to slippery roads. Knowing how to handle your vehicle and how it responds in various weather conditions is important.

Always maintain a good distance from vehicles in front of you. The most important thing to remember when driving on slick roads is that you must travel, steer and brake more slowly than usual. The distance needed to stop on ice is twice as long as that you would need to brake under normal driving circumstances. This means you should keep at least a three-car distance from the vehicle directly in front of you.

Recognize Danger Zones:

Intersections -- Slow down before reaching an intersection. Scan all directions for cars and pedestrians.

Curves -- Reduce speed before entering a curve.

Bridges - Ice forms on bridges and freeways so reduce speed and use precaution.

Never brake while driving on ice. If you are approaching a patch of ice, brake during your approach. Applying pressure to your brakes while on ice will only throw you into a skid.

Finally, always buckle up and use extra caution when driving in slick or icy conditions.

You can monitor road conditions on the Houston TranStar Web site:

http://www.houstontranstar.org

Or, monitor conditions on the Texas Department of Transportation Web site: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/travel/road_conditions.htm.

Chron is running a headline proclaiming the possibility it could sleet or snow in Houston as soon as today (Linky).

How long has it been since the last snow in Houston? Five years maybe?

2004, and some girl skanky chick on my facebook said it snowed today, but I have not seen it yet.

It snowed on Christmas Eve 2004, I believe. I was at my parents in Katy when it started snowing mid afternoon. Enough to make some snowballs.

The Love Child was 3, and it really warped her expectations for snow on Christmas. I remember taking her to my ex's on Christmas eve. There was fresh snow on all the cars, so we had a little snowball fight. I suggested making a snowball to show momma, so she did that. As soon as my ex opened the door, the Love Child pegged her right in the face with it. It was too funny.

Now she thinks there's a good chance it will snow every Christmas.

Say WHAT ? :huh:

No no no, it's Kimberly. . .Say WHAT!?

Wish it would warm up already. Cold wheather depresses me. Even if it's beautiful outside.

You can't claim something is depressing and beautiful at the same time, that's just unrealistic. ;)

You can't claim something is depressing and beautiful at the same time, that's just unrealistic. ;)

Ah, whatever. I mean even when it's gorgeous outside but still chilly, it gets me a little down. I just don't like the cold, period. The only thing I like about the cold is that I can drink hot tea all day long and I like hot tea. In the summer I'm good if I can get one cup in at breakfast.

Coming home from Montgomery County early this morning (4 am), I hit a slick patch of road...but only once. My car thermometer read 35 degrees, so I am not even convinced that the one slick area was ice, but the truck did slide a few feet. The weirdest part was that for the first time since I've owned the truck, my temperature gauge alternated between the temp and the word "ice". Don't know how or why it did that. It stopped after about 20 seconds. Now I'm wondering if it was my imagination.

Archived