Bowl Game Pick Em Challenge

Highway6

gallery_1072_87_99538.jpg

Entry Form

• Please enter your HAIF screenname
  • Make your picks for each game
  • Enter what you think the combined point total will be for the Championship Game.. to be used as Tiebreaker

Each Haifer is allowed one submission. If multiple are entered, the last one entered will be the one that carries over to the Results Board. Breakdown for points per game can be seen here.

Winner gets... bragging rights for a few weeks. Enjoy !!

Submissions need to be by Thursday 18th. Scoreboard and picks should be posted sometime Friday. Bowl games start on the 20th.

My only tough pick was the Arizona vs. BYU game. The rest are in the bag. Hey, are we allowed to change picks up until :30min. before kickoff ?

no.. sorry. I need some time to lock in the submissions and transfer them to the results and scoring page. Sometime next thursday night i'll close the submissions.. but you can certainly change your picks before then.

So far we have the following signed up, not including me

Aggie92

Chamo

kinkaidalum

cnote

ethanra

texastrill

tjones

And so far we have 50-50 on your Championship Game picks

My only tough pick was the Arizona vs. BYU game. The rest are in the bag. Hey, are we allowed to change picks up until :30min. before kickoff ?

Big talk...you must have some special insight into the colossal Northern Ill.-La Tech matchup that I lack...or Fresno-Colorado St....or Maryland-Nevada....I could go on...

Seriously... has everyone already mentally checked out for the holidays?

Did everyone join Niche on his river dance excursion ?

I thought we had lots more football fans here.

You people got 4 hours.

Are you going to post everyone's picks today? I can't even remember who I took....

Are you going to post everyone's picks today? I can't even remember who I took....

Scoreboard is up.... HAIF Bowl Game Challenge - Picks and Results

We have 1 game that was a unanimous pick... Nobody thinks Memphis is going to beat South Florida

We have 5 games where 1 person went against everyone else.

ethanra - Ohio St. over Texas .... and Northwestern over Missouri

kinkaidalum - Western Mich over Rice (boooo)

TJones - Vandy over BC

Chamo - Mich St. over Georgia

And we have 6 games that were split 50-50 including the Championship Game.

Should make for a fun few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

With 3 bowl games remaining, Congrats to Chamo who has a 7 in 8 chance of getting last place.

Enthara.. you have the remaining 1 in 8 chance of getting last place with wins by BallSt, Tex, and Florida.

GreatHizzy is in a really strong position with only TJones having 25% chance to swoop in for the victory.

Fiesta Bowl, Jan 5th - Texas vs OSU - Doesnt matter. This game won't affect the outcome.

GMAC Bowl, Jan 6th - Ball St vs Tulsa - If Tulsa wins, its over and GreatHizzy wins. If Ball St. wins, Tjones hangs on for another day.

BCS Championship - Jan 8th.

Assuming Ball st wins the previous game, then it comes down to an OU victory gives TJones the win, while a Florida win gives GreatHizzy the win.

Full Scoreboard.

With 3 bowl games remaining, Congrats to Chamo who has a 7 in 8 chance of getting last place.

Enthara.. you have the remaining 1 in 8 chance of getting last place with wins by BallSt, Tex, and Florida.

GreatHizzy is in a really strong position with only TJones having 25% chance to swoop in for the victory.

Fiesta Bowl, Jan 5th - Texas vs OSU - Doesnt matter. This game won't affect the outcome.

GMAC Bowl, Jan 6th - Ball St vs Tulsa - If Tulsa wins, its over and GreatHizzy wins. If Ball St. wins, Tjones hangs on for another day.

BCS Championship - Jan 8th.

Assuming Ball st wins the previous game, then it comes down to an OU victory gives TJones the win, while a Florida win gives GreatHizzy the win.

Full Scoreboard.

Damn! Same picks as Hizzy, all I can do is lock up 2nd.

Thanks Hwy6; I made it look very easy, I even put some thought on my picks; Look forward to repeat during March Madness.

Damn! Same picks as Hizzy, all I can do is lock up 2nd.

I've got the same picks as you and Hizzy so I can't really move up either.

That said, I think we all know that Clemson won that game against Nebraska. I don't think I've ever seen a worse call than the one that overturned the fumble return for a TD by the Tigers late in the 4th quarter. Did anyone else see that? I don't really care about either Clemson nor the Huskers, but that was a terrible call...

Upon further inspection, I picked Cincinnati in this contest! Why? I picked Va Tech in my other one. I don't know if that one pick would have gotten me the lead though. Eh, both teams are boring anyway. I mean, not as boring as Oregon St 3, Pitt 0, but what is?

I picked Cincy too. Their season was better than VaTech's but their QB play in the Orange Bowl was terrible. That game was a dud as was witnessed by the large tarps place in the upper deck of Pro Player Stadium!

The announced crowd for that game was 73,000 (a sellout) but there couldn't have been more than 40,000 people there.

The ACC and the Big East should lose their automatic bids!

I picked Cincy too. Their season was better than VaTech's but their QB play in the Orange Bowl was terrible. That game was a dud as was witnessed by the large tarps place in the upper deck of Pro Player Stadium!

The announced crowd for that game was 73,000 (a sellout) but there couldn't have been more than 40,000 people there.

I am with you here. The Orange Bowl hasn't been interesting since Miami and FSU were top 5 teams. I'm sorry, but VT and BC just don't cut it. Looking at the BCS bowls, with the conference ties you have the Rose Bowl (big 10/Pac 10) which is good most of the time, the Fiesta Bowl (Big 12 + other) which is good most of the time, the Sugar Bowl (SEC + other) which is good most of the time, and then the Orange Bowl, which I think only has an ACC tie to it.

I think that's the problem, but really all the decent conferences are already tied to BCS bowls, so you can't do much about it. I think the ACC tie-in might help with selling tickets (not this year apparently) but it's not creating high-rating telecasts. Fortunately, it's in Miami so it's a place people wouldn't mind traveling to even if it's pretty far. I think the Big East should lose its automatic bid. I think the ACC just needs to get some good recruiting classes and have Miami, FSU, and UNC (Butch Davis knows what he's doing) get to the top tier again.

VTech rolls Cincy and you're hating on the ACC? That's some impressive logic right there. Must come from living in Boston.

Oh, and 20th Street, whens the last time the Rose Bowl had a good game? The last time the Big 10 wasn't in it?

VTech rolls Cincy and you're hating on the ACC? That's some impressive logic right there. Must come from living in Boston.

Oh, and 20th Street, whens the last time the Rose Bowl had a good game? The last time the Big 10 wasn't in it?

I think it's good whenever the big 10 loses, so almost every year. The Texas-Michigan game was good, whenever that was.

VaTech rolled Cincy...yes, Cincy. Not that impressed. And if you watched the game, it was sad.

First off, Va Tech didn't roll anyone. The game was 13-7 heading into the 4th quarter despite 4 Cincy INTs.

Secondly, Boston is an ACC town now. Has been since Boston College joind the ACC in 2005. I actually went to the BC vs. VaTech game this year in Chestnut Hill. The ACC Championship was a rematch of that game down in Tampa.

Thirdly, you'd think a Carolina boy would be aware of BC's ACC membership today. Care to talk about the hoops game down in the Dean Dome?

Finally, the logic I am basing my opinion on comes from these facts;

2009- Va Tech holds off Cincinnati 20-7 to win the Orange Bowl. Cincy is the definition of mediocre.

2008- Kansas beats Va Tech in the Orange Bowl.

2007- Louisville beats Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl.

2006- Penn State beats Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

2005- Auburn beats Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

2004- Miami beats Florida State in the Orange Bowl. Miami was a member of the Big East.

2003- Georgia beats Florida State in the Sugar Bowl.

2002- Florida beats Maryland in the Orange Bowl.

2001- Oklahoma beats Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

2000- Florida State beats Va Tech in the Sugar Bowl. Va Tech was a member of the Big East.

1999- Tennessee beats Florida State in the Fiesta Bowl.

That's a record of 2-9 for the ACC in the BCS games. Their wins came over Cincy (a team that NEVER won the Conference USA title!) and Virginia Tech (now a member of the ACC).

Going further, ACC members have a combined losing record in ALL bowl games since 2000.

Meanwhile, non-BCS member conferences are now 3-1 in BCS bowl games when given an opportunity.

Archived