HAIF - Houston's original social media

Houston Pavilions, now Green Street

I still advocate that HP is on the whole a smart idea, and in a good location. However they did take the "Houston way out" on the project by cutting out the residential portion, and building the cheapest possible structure they could get away with, so that sucks. Still, this type of development can almost survive on concert-goers and conventioneers alone. It's also one of the few evening venues on the rail line which CAN attract the hundreds of thousands of workers, patients, students and visitors from the Medical Center/ Museum district. So recession or not, there are lots of good signs for HP.

On a personal note... I'm in New Orleans today... talk about street level retail JEEEEEZ!

Edited by totheskies
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm taking one of my girlfriends there after the Ottmar Liebert concert on the 8th. I'm sure she'll love it.

Uh... ? Anyway. The bartender at the HOB says that they are still working out their kinks. We'll see.

I do hope they will sell a Metro Bus Stop Action Playset. Complete with a homeless bum, litter, and stain/urine/vomit appliques. Metro police, ambulance, and innocent bystanders sold separately.

Posted Images

I still advocate that HP is on the whole a smart idea, and in a good location. However they did take the "Houston way out" on the project by cutting out the residential portion, and building the cheapest possible structure they could get away with, so that sucks. Still, this type of development can almost survive on concert-goers and conventioneers alone. It's also one of the few evening venues on the rail line which CAN attract the hundreds of thousands of workers, patients, students and visitors from the Medical Center/ Museum district. So recession or not, there are lots of good signs for HP.

On a personal note... I'm in New Orleans today... talk about street level retail JEEEEEZ!

I know. Perhaps if they continue the hard work of rebuilding the city, it will one day return.

Anyone notice how "Lids" opened a location at HP, and now the store has suddenly vanished. Lids is not even mentioned on the directory anymore....

So, is Lids the first one to bite the dust at HP?

Is that surprising? They stood no chance locating on the 3rd floor with no stores around them to generate traffice. I don't see a lot of people going out of their way to go upstairs to buy a cap.

I was at HOB last night and the center was busy, even when I left at midnight.

I saw on abc13 this morning that Lucky Strikes expects to open by early summer. By then they say they will have financing.

That's great news!!! I think Lucky Strike will really add traffic to HP just like HOB.

Also, this is out of topic but this video needs attention... great H Town views in this music video.

That's great news!!! I think Lucky Strike will really add traffic to HP just like HOB.

Also, this is out of topic but this video needs attention... great H Town views in this music video.

They said on the news that the developers of Luck Strikes said that they expect it to bring in a lot of traffic to HP. I thought it was canceled from what I was hearing from people on here, but its going through.

The developers of HP also said during that news segment that they did not expect the economy to be like this when they built it, but expect things to pick up more when the economy improves.

I see that video every day on the 106 and Park Countdown. Its good to see all the Texas musicians on the countdown (Houston and Dallas).

Edited by citykid09
They said on the news that the developers of Luck Strikes said that they expect it to bring in a lot of traffic to HP. I thought it was canceled from what I was hearing from people on here, but its going through.

That's what happens on here... it was reported that Lucky Strike was on hold while they looked for new investors... and some people take that as it's 100% cancelled and they go with that. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious, but after walking around the Pavilions the other day, I was wondering if it would be possible for them to open HP to the streets a little more (like along Polk where the windows are) at least on the first floor. It would mean that some first floor locations would have two entrances... but it might help draw some more foot traffic into the place. Does anyone think that this might be a viable solution for HP later down the road?

Just curious, but after walking around the Pavilions the other day, I was wondering if it would be possible for them to open HP to the streets a little more (like along Polk where the windows are) at least on the first floor. It would mean that some first floor locations would have two entrances... but it might help draw some more foot traffic into the place. Does anyone think that this might be a viable solution for HP later down the road?

The Park Shops at Houston Center did something similar a few years ago. I don't have any before and after photos, though, and more importantly, I don't have any before-and-after financials.

they are now opening the HOB foundation room to anyone during the hours of 11a-1p for cheap drinks. i think it's only weekdays.

Old news, it's been that way. For lunch as well as the drinks.

any idea how much memberships to the Foundation Room cost?

I believe all are over 1k but there are other ways to go to the bar or for dinner without a membership.

Old news, it's been that way. For lunch as well as the drinks.

since march yeah. i will clarify though, the martinis are $1 (gin, vodka based and similar drinks like cosmos), other drinks aren't so cheap. shiner was $8. been a couple of times. the kobe burger/fries was $16.95 good the last time but service was slow. hrs are 11-2, not 11-1 like i stated earlier.

since march yeah. i will clarify though, the martinis are $1 (gin, vodka based and similar drinks like cosmos), other drinks aren't so cheap. shiner was $8. been a couple of times. the kobe burger/fries was $16.95 good the last time but service was slow. hrs are 11-2, not 11-1 like i stated earlier.

Wrong, before March.

Martinis are $1 ????????

I'm still boycotting until they put my big screen tvs up there.

Was that just a rumor anyway? I honestly never remember reading anything official or unofficial about that.

After visiting last month, I look forward to returning after the economy recovers and visiting a thriving Pavilions. The proximity to the Toyota Center, Convention Center, and Discovery Park make this a natural draw with the right retail & entertainment mix. The spillover should help all of downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown bowling lanes project gets upbeat news

Lucky Strike Lanes is rolling again toward the downtown Houston Pavilions.

The stylish bowling alley, bar and cafe concept was originally to open late last year, but in early February the company announced that the project had been put on hold due to a lack of financing. It is now scheduled to open in September.

full article

The stylish bowling alley, bar and cafe concept was originally to open late last year, but in early February the company announced that the project had been put on hold due to a lack of financing. It is now scheduled to open in September.

full article

Great news!

full article

Great news... better late than never!! B)

full article

Damn, reading the comment on Chron.com, bunch of Negative Nancy's.

And I thought we bicker a lot.

I am glad they are going forth with the project finally.

One Park Place should be done by then.

Damn, reading the comment on Chron.com, bunch of Negative Nancy's.

And I thought we bicker a lot.

I am glad they are going forth with the project finally.

One Park Place should be done by then.

One thing I just thought about that's good about OPP is that since it's rental, there will actually be people living in them as opposed to investors who leave them empty, which will help HP.

A friend of mine's father just moved into One Park Place last week. He loves it so far. He's an empty nester who sold a house in the Memorial Villages to move downtown. According to him, the lower floors have people living in them already.

man Guadalajara Del Centro is over rated. salsa sucks, come on, give us something fresh! sorry...its Texas, take pride in your salsa mexican food restaurants
went with some friends 2nite. mediocre was the word i heard most.
A friend of mine's father just moved into One Park Place last week. He loves it so far. He's an empty nester who sold a house in the Memorial Villages to move downtown. According to him, the lower floors have people living in them already.

That is correct. People have been moving in for a number of weeks already.

I cannot believe how much rent is at OPP. I thought it would be on par with Midtown, where I live now but when I saw $1800 a month for a 1BR, forget that, I'll stick with Midtown and take the train in and save $800 a month.

I cannot believe how much rent is at OPP. I thought it would be on par with Midtown, where I live now but when I saw $1800 a month for a 1BR, forget that, I'll stick with Midtown and take the train in and save $800 a month.

Obviously, you are not down with OPP...

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
A majority of the office building is being rented out by a major Fortune 500 corporation. Word through the camp fire is that the lease is signed, sealed and delivered.

nice news.

can anyone report on the heartbeat of HP lately?

booksamillion shortened their hours.

eek, nice update. I see they're crawling to the business crowd hours the rest of downtown has.

Hopefully they're open after 5

eek, nice update. I see they're crawling to the business crowd hours the rest of downtown has.

Hopefully they're open after 5

Until there are a lot more people living right by HP it's probably for the best. I stopped by once after work (about 8:30 PM) and it was empty to the point of creepiness. Although I did get to thumb through that New York Times front page book for a good hour or so, so that was nice.

Recently I was in San Diego and visited Horton (sp?) Plaza, which is basically their downtown version of the Pavilions. It was fully occupied. It had a Macy's, Abercrombie, Banana Republic, ice cream shop, etc.

And still, it wasn't extremely exciting and I don't think HP ever will be, either. After one visit I never went back and instead spent time in the Gaslamp District and the Pacific Beach area. The only time I went back was when I needed to get a pullover from BR because it was chillier than expected at night, and the only reason I went to that one is because it was close to my hotel.

My thoughts out of this whole experience were that the Pavilions are not going to be the destination people expected them to be. If they are ever able to climb over 50% occupied they will be a nice attraction for convention and business visitors from out of town. But even then, after one or two visits those people would realize that Midtown, Highland Village, Galleria, etc. have more to offer.

Just my .02, none of which is groundbreaking insight.

Recently I was in San Diego and visited Horton (sp?) Plaza, which is basically their downtown version of the Pavilions. It was fully occupied. It had a Macy's, Abercrombie, Banana Republic, ice cream shop, etc.

And still, it wasn't extremely exciting and I don't think HP ever will be, either. After one visit I never went back and instead spent time in the Gaslamp District and the Pacific Beach area. The only time I went back was when I needed to get a pullover from BR because it was chillier than expected at night, and the only reason I went to that one is because it was close to my hotel.

My thoughts out of this whole experience were that the Pavilions are not going to be the destination people expected them to be. If they are ever able to climb over 50% occupied they will be a nice attraction for convention and business visitors from out of town. But even then, after one or two visits those people would realize that Midtown, Highland Village, Galleria, etc. have more to offer.

Just my .02, none of which is groundbreaking insight.

did that place have restaurants and other attractions like House of Blues or a bowling alley? You just named retail stores so I'm just wondering.