GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Guest danax
This tower is part of HP. The middle block, I think.

6bd99ht.jpg

It looks like only 8 stories in this model from their website, while the HBJ article above says 9. They both state 200K sq ft of office above floors 1 and 2 of retail with the 3rd floor being entertainment.

6bd99ht.jpg

It looks like only 8 stories in this model from their website, while the HBJ article above says 9. They both state 200K sq ft of office above floors 1 and 2 of retail with the 3rd floor being entertainment.

Not sure what the final version will be, but originally, the office building was going to have 8 floors of office space above the 3 floors of retail for a total of 11 floors above ground. I am assuming that the 37,000 square foot lease for the medical office would be in the tower.

Construction Photo update 06.08.07

Great picture! Man, I'm so regretting not checking out the Humble Tower apts now, instead of moving to Houston House. :lol: But as long as our building holds up, I guess it will still be "close enough" to HP, so I'll stick around for the cheap rent and great view. I doubt Houston House will be sold anytime soon, and surely they won't raise the rent, seeing as how it seems half empty anyways. Now, if we can just keep the tenants from demolishing the place with their cars...

I can't wait! I hope HP has some worthwhile shops. I don't drive much, so some decent shops within a few blocks of Houston House would be GREAT.

Comparing that wood model to the original renederings is depressing. Seems so much smaller with the diminished scope and fewer towers.

I'm guessing theres no plans to attach HP to the tunnel system, right ? Is this good ? I know you're trying to start a culture of street shopping instead of mole shopping... but the entire 3 blocks is street retail... wouldn't it be a good thing to have a link to the tunnels to draw people out (nearest connection would be First Tower garage) ?

Also, from the picture.. they've started structure on the lower block, no big amount of excavation needed since that block is only 3 levels. The middle block looks like they are excavating somewhat since thats where the tower will be but the wood model shows it about 10 stories, so obviously ya dont have to dig down too far.

I guess what strikes me is there is no underground parking planned ? I didnt realize this.

I know the residential component was canned for the amount of underground parking that would be needed.. but I didnt reazlize they werent including any now.... well, i don't know that for sure, but that is what the photo suggests to me... so far.

Edited by Highway6

No plans that I know of to connect to the tunnel system... and I hope they don't! We need less tunnels downtown... not more! Tunnels just take away from the street life. As for parking, they will be leasing a parking garage next to HP so people can park there... correct?

Correct on the leased parking garage. I don't think there is any underground parking planned. It's all in the parking garage on Main between Polk and Clay.

I disagree, if want easier access to and from the tunnels, why don't you just have a connections from the surface of Discovery Green on the surface and the garage?

If Discovery Green were in the middle of downtown and in the middle of the tunnel system, I would defin. want some direct connection. The Park is on the periphery of where people work though and would be on the periphery of the tunnel system, if added, so you'd be adding tunnel specifically to keep people underground just to get to the park... wouldnt quite serve the same purpose as having a activitynode in the middle of the existing tunnel system or in the middle of where the people work.

Also The tunnel stops at Houston Center though... so for it to go to Discovery Green, the new Park tower would first have to decide they want tunnel access.

Also The tunnel stops at Houston Center though... so for it to go to Discovery Green, the new Park tower would first have to decide they want tunnel access.

Crescent & Finger want a skywalk. :ph34r:

The theory is that the suits that will live/shop there don't like walking outside in the heat, wind, and occasional rain, and that it will indeed keep them from walking across the street for many of their shopping/dining experiences.

Edited by TheNiche

On this interactive map of the system...it shows all the access points. It's showing stairs, and stairs alone, where the tunnel crosses under Main between Walker and Mckinney. Most other acceess points are shown in the center of blocks and are more obviously associated with buildings... so I guess this could be it.

Yep, on Travis at McKinney (next to the door for the Jason's Deli), there's a door to a stairway directly to the tunnel system.

Crescent & Finger want a skywalk. :ph34r:

The theory is that the suits that will live/shop there don't like walking outside in the heat, wind, and occasional rain, and that it will indeed keep them from walking across the street for many of their shopping/dining experiences.

Wouldn't it make more sense to connect a tunnel through basement of the Howell Building? That is where one leg of the system currently ends. It looks like a skywalk would have to be through the First City Garage, which isn't that nice.

anyone know why emporis is saying that houston pavillions were never built? even though they are being built.

Two of the three larger towers which were originally planned were cancelled. The only relatively 'substantial' one, though scaled down was kept and that is shown. I'm not certain why the dates are incorrect though... but that's what you get when most of the other editors aren't even up on the projects in the area :D

Houston Pavilions should be stable enough to stand on its own, wherever people come from

I think you have convinced me.

I thought the tunnels were necessary to draw in customers,

But I think you are right, people want something unique & different, they don't want to be immediately sucked into a profile.

They need to be schmoozed first

Edited by TxDave

Nevetheless, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the tunnels found their way to the Pavilliions, especially if, for example, the Sakowitz Building is finally redeveloped. While I agree with Red that it's not necessary, I often remind myself that this is Houston, and folks don't do things the ordinary, old fashion by-the-book way.

It grates, it astounds and yet it also surprises in some good ways at times. :o

Houston Pavilions has a webcam on their site!

Houston Paviions

Discovery Green will have a webcam soon as well.

Sweet !!

I know I've asked this before.. but i still don't get it... how can they have each person who views it able to control the camera ?

If several of us all hop on the same time.. it is like remote wars.. I will I just see what one of you is controlling ?

Anwyays.. thanks for the link

EDIT : Nevermind.. i see. This one has a 5 minute timer per person. I'm currently watching someone else control it and zooming in on windows. Pretty neat stuff.

Edited by Highway6