GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I guess I got upset because I saw that sort of thing on SSC all the time, and the comparisons were always negative.

No need to be upset. You're right. Comparing Montreal or especially Toronto to Houston in any sense other than a lofty academic point of view just isn't a good idea.

Btw, I wasn't directing that question at you, but at Jax.

The reason I compare Houston to Montreal and Toronto is those are the only other cities I've lived in (besides the small suburban place where I grew up), and therefore that's my perspective. I know it may be apples to oranges, but I'm always going to compare with where I've been in the past.

Seeing abandoned buildings is still a relatively new thing to me. And if I stay here long term (a good chance), I'm going to want to see less abandoned buildings because no matter where you come from, they are ugly. So that's why I'm hoping HP will make downtown nicer.

By the way, I'm a Rice grad student studying physics. I was never interested in urban planning until I moved to Houston, probably because the places where I lived previously were planned fairly well. Now that I live here, and I see things like abandoned storefronts right next to a popular restaurant, it makes me wonder what went wrong, it makes me do research, and it makes me wonder if it might get better in the future.

That's how I ended up here.

I'm sure if I live in NYC in the future, I will compare it with Houston and whine about how expensive apartments are and how dirty it is. :) That's just how the human brain works, I guess. I think comparison is a natural thing to do. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm constantly comparing things, I probably wouldn't have become interested in urban planning at all.

The reason I compare Houston to Montreal and Toronto is those are the only other cities I've lived in (besides the small suburban place where I grew up), and therefore that's my perspective. I know it may be apples to oranges, but I'm always going to compare with where I've been in the past.

Seeing abandoned buildings is still a relatively new thing to me. And if I stay here long term (a good chance), I'm going to want to see less abandoned buildings because no matter where you come from, they are ugly. So that's why I'm hoping HP will make downtown nicer.

By the way, I'm a Rice grad student studying physics. I was never interested in urban planning until I moved to Houston, probably because the places where I lived previously were planned fairly well. Now that I live here, and I see things like abandoned storefronts right next to a popular restaurant, it makes me wonder what went wrong, it makes me do research, and it makes me wonder if it might get better in the future.

That's how I ended up here.

I'm sure if I live in NYC in the future, I will compare it with Houston and whine about how expensive apartments are and how dirty it is. :) That's just how the human brain works, I guess. I think comparison is a natural thing to do. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm constantly comparing things, I probably wouldn't have become interested in urban planning at all.

Ouch, coming from such a beautiful and clean place, you must have been shocked at the ugliness and dirtiness here huh. unfortunately yeah, there's empty buildings, also parking lots, hanging wires, strip malls and flatness.

And how do you ever cope with the humidity. At least its not cold.

Edited by webdude

Most people are surprised to know that the part of Houston that I live in is greener and arguably more beautiful than anywhere I've ever lived in Canada. But I have seen parts of the city that are much uglier than anything I ever imagined existed (in North America) before moving here. Houston is a city of contrasts, and I'm lucky to live where I do (Museum District, near Rice).

On the plus side, I lived in a much more urban environment in Montreal, and I never even thought about buying a car because I could get most places by foot/metro. I probably walked 90% of the time. But there were also no trees nearby, the streets were dirtier due to all of the pedestrian traffic, and my apartment was smaller, older, and with less amenities than here in Houston. In the winter, all of the leaves were gone from the few trees that existed, and the temperature got as low as -40 C (with wind chill). Surprisingly, parking lots do exist in Canada, I had one across the street from me in Montreal until they built it up after 4 years of living there. Actually there was one beside me as well which turned into condos about the same time. Also, the job market wasn't nearly as good for scientific careers, unless you wanted to work for the one english university in the city. And in Canada, besides Montreal Toronto and Vancouver, there isn't anywhere else to live if you like being in a big city. The suburbs and small towns in Canada are the same as the suburbs here.

The heat doesn't bother me so far. I've been here since last May so I experienced a whole summer, 3 months of it without a car. I actually prefer it to the Canadian winters. I think it's in my blood. My mom is from Atlanta.

I think a lot of people forget about how Houston can be beautiful too. I was in the Rice student health clinic the other day and I looked out of the window and saw this dense forest of live oaks (none of the trees in Montreal would have leaves this time of year), with the amazing Rice architecture across the street, and I realized that Houston definitely has it's share of beauty too.

wasup with the crane collapse?

i'm in town but can't get any info.

A crane at a downtown construction site toppled on its side this morning, crushing the cab of a pickup.

The driver of the truck, William Huther, was not seriously injured. It is unclear whether the worker in the crane owned by D.E. Harvey Construction was injured. Investigators are on the site

Edited by musicman

The site under construction is Houston Pavilions, a mixed complex that will include retail, residential and entertainment facilities.

This part of the article really struck me. Is this supposed to give some sense of false hope?

No, it won't. The fall did not damage any construction. They'll pick up the pieces, bring in a new crane, and be back to work. They may even still be working on the unaffected blocks now. The rain storms will slow construction more than this accident will.

And on another thread we were discussing cranes and my concern was why they don't fall. Anyhow, Red and a few other HAIFers enlightened me about cranes. But ... whoa ... paper said it was the mud and the thing started to sink and toppled. Crane Operator positions open. :lol:

And on another thread we were discussing cranes and my concern was why they don't fall. Anyhow, Red and a few other HAIFers enlightened me about cranes. But ... whoa ... paper said it was the mud and the thing started to sink and toppled. Crane Operator positions open. :lol:

The crane that fell isn't one of the tall ones you see, but rather the ones that are on tracks so they can move around it's particular section. I'm sure he just crawled into an area that was washed out by the rain, but couldn't tell because of the puddles. Believe it or not, that's not uncommon for that to happen at construction sites.

This part of the article really struck me. Is this supposed to give some sense of false hope?

Actually,what if they decided to place the residential component right smack on top of a new hotel addition... Imagine what would get posted then, do you think it would still be false hope or simply awesome ?

so this is looking more and more like a mall.

Well... it sort of is like a mall... an outdoor mall. I mean, what's do you thnk a mall is? ... a group of stores, restaurants... sometimes it has places for entertainment... so yea, it kind of is like an outdoor mall. :unsure:

So I mean, let's be objective. I'm not clear how much better than Park Shops this is going to fare, or any number of a dozen attempts at urban pedestrian malls. DT still doesnt have -- may never have -- critical local mass to be much more than a business district. Houston's real action is always going to be in the inner loop neighborhoods.

So I mean, let's be objective. I'm not clear how much better than Park Shops this is going to fare, or any number of a dozen attempts at urban pedestrian malls. DT still doesnt have -- may never have -- critical local mass to be much more than a business district. Houston's real action is always going to be in the inner loop neighborhoods.

give it time....