GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I can't get over how excited some of y'all get about cranes. Somebody should do a HAIF crane calendar... full of high resolution pictures of cranes from all angles, some of them scantily clad in their company logo, some of them oiled and shiny, some of them muddy....

That's one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. Seriously. It's a fresh idea that hasn't been done to death.

Well done!

Edited by Mister X

I've been in the Virgin store in Grapevine Mills and it was just another music store as far as I'm concerned. I didn't even realize at the time that it was Virgin, or that it was supposed to be a big deal.

I agree with what Mister X and Subdude said. Personally I've probaby purchased a total of three CD's in the past five years whereas I used to buy at least maybe one a week. I download everything. It's convenient and I feel I get more for my money that way. This is one Houstonian who would have no use for a Virgin store at the HP.

Where is the full list of tenants for the HP so far? I swear I looked up and down this thread. I know it was posted not long ago.

Oh don't get me wrong, I would prefer an ESPNZone WAAAAAAY before a Virgin MegaStore. I went to the one in DT San Francisco and really didn't see what was so great about it--there was nothing there that you can't find in say...FYE. Although they did have a great selection of figurines (Thundercats, XMen, Transformers, etc.). I just posted the article b/c there seemed to be such an early desire on HAIF to have one here.

I also saw that ESPNZone was snooping around the Park Shops back in 2003, but nothing ever happened. They even said that tey have no plans of expanding their concept (I emailed them a few months ago about a Houston location). Nonetheless, I would think that HP would be better suited than Park. Park feels much more...isolated...and even INsulated to me. Who knows, maybe they'll come after all and compete with FOX Sports Grill in some respects.

Short-term closures this weekend for construction or maintenance - In the 1000-1200 blocks of Polk (Main to Caroline) and the 1100-1200 blocks of Fannin (Lamar to Polk) the Pavilions contractor will close all lanes to install a tower crane for a portion of the Pavilion's construction. The closures will begin Friday night at 8 PM and last until Monday morning 5 AM with one exception.

source: Downtown District's weekly street closings e-mail

Short-term closures this weekend for construction or maintenance - In the 1000-1200 blocks of Polk (Main to Caroline) and the 1100-1200 blocks of Fannin (Lamar to Polk) the Pavilions contractor will close all lanes to install a tower crane for a portion of the Pavilion's construction. The closures will begin Friday night at 8 PM and last until Monday morning 5 AM with one exception.

source: Downtown District's weekly street closings e-mail

:D yet another crane for Downtown!

Are they putting up just one crane or both of them? Maybe they'll do the other NEXT weekend. I THINK they're preparing a base for a 4th crane, but I can't tell if it's going to be on Main or Fannin side. If it's on the Main side, it should be quite interesting to see how they're going to put up THAT sucker.

Are they putting up just one crane or both of them? Maybe they'll do the other NEXT weekend. I THINK they're preparing a base for a 4th crane, but I can't tell if it's going to be on Main or Fannin side. If it's on the Main side, it should be quite interesting to see how they're going to put up THAT sucker.

There is already a crane up on one of the blocks... so I guess this is a second crane for a second block.

You sort of wish you could copy the last two weeks' worth of posts and then go back and time and repost them back in August of last year. The reactions alone would be worth keeping this site up for eternity.

It just seems like not too long ago nothing was going on Downtown... and now all of a sudden we have Discovery Green, Houston Pavilions and One Park Place all under construction!! To add to that, Discover Tower has been announced, along with a few other possible office towers! :wacko:

Does visiting HAIF and reading of all this growth remind anyone of watching a clock tick or looking at every mile marker on a cross-country road trip? I can't wait until we get there, but it feels like it's taking forever. I guess I'll just enjoy the "landscape" like cranes until we finally arrive.

Sometimes the cranes generate more excitement than the finished building they help to create. Not in this case though. HP will be a major hit.

I can't wait to see another landscape full of cranes in downtown Houston like back in the early 80's. With any luck it will be years before we see a crane-less CBD.