GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Oh, I do, I just hoping for those birds to go away a bit. I HATE those damned birds.

HATE.

I mean, SERIOUS HATE.

there isn't a font strong enough or a word in the english language for me to explain my absolute dislike for those birds.

I hope they move to the suburbs. :)

Now, now see what Ms Bundy here says about The Birds.

if by "rough" you mean lots of kids who are black or hispanic, yes.

musicman, do you happen to live in the woodlands or kingwood? several of your posts about "thugs" and "rough" seem to indicate you have no idea what you're talking about, but you see young minorities as rough thugs, instead of just kids being kids.

how many "thugs" do you think are going to go downtown and pay to park just to stand around and "not shop"? how many thugs do you see at Bayou Place - none. How many "thugs" do you see near downtown, period - only at the bus station, and more than thugs, you just see poor minorities.

If you have a real issue, man up and say what the issue is. Don't puss out and use codes like "thugs" and "rough" when, i'm guessing, the only "rough" "thugs" you know are those you see on TV.

Being someone who lives near those you seem to refer to as "thugs" and "rough", I assure you, you have very little to be concerned about. "They" aren't going to mess up your high end bowling alley. I've never seen any "rough" "thugs" at an ESPNZone (and I've been to a few.) I've never seen any "rough" "thugs" in the city theaters in SF or Boston or Chicago, so your fears are either overblown fears of crime, or fear of minority youth - neither of which you have to be concerned with at HP.

You obviously don't spend a lot of time downtown and you obviously have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I live downtown. Before that I lived in inner-city DC. I'm confident in my ability to discern "thugs" from middle class African-Americans and Hispanics. Downtown Houston is exceedingly safe on weeknights, however, the people who line up outside of TOC Bar and the like every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are predominantly of the Thug variety. How do I know this? Well there was the Murder that took place following a dispute at TOC Bar. There was also the shooting inside M Bar. And of course there was the day they fished a body out of the Bayou behind the Pink Monkey. Incidentally, the parking lots surrounding these bars charge $10-$15 for a parking space. As for movie theaters, well, one of my classmates was stabbed outside a popular DC movie theater near the US Capital, but she lived. Of course this was well after the neighborhood "gentrified." Does that count? Now, instead of accusing people of being racist, why don't you just go back to ESPN zone and have some wings.

Edited by jdbaker

while i agree with most of your post. i must say that a person of any class can be a thug, including middle class.

Like those perfect Kingwood girls that robbed for drugs & party supplies and of course the Manson Girls. All came from well to do families. Who wants to start a whole new thread?!

Like those perfect Kingwood girls that robbed for drugs & party supplies and of course the Manson Girls. All came from well to do families. Who wants to start a whole new thread?!

The difference is.. I don't go to the MArquee Center due to a few random thugs. I avoid it due to gang activity. Groups of thugs are much worse than single thugs.

And as far as gangs are concerned... most are minority. Ethnic ties is the strongest glue as far as gangs are concerned. You don't see gangs of baptists, law students, or homosexuals running around. Are there thugs of all races, yes.. but what keeps me away from Jillians is hispanic gang activity... not some bored little rich suburban girl.

I don't go to the Marquee frequently b/c there's not much there. Besides Edwards and Jillians what's at the Marquee that you can't find anywhere else? The times I have been there are often weekend nights and it's become just a "hang-out". You'd think the large security force they use would more actively enforce the curfew and attempt to maintain the rowdiness. Businesses close b/c no one is shopping, no one is shopping b/c it's got nothing unique that's worth the hassle of parking and the construction on the Katy Fwy. I would say that it's deffinately not family friendly weekend nights, unfortunately. I second the hope that Pavilions does not turn the way of the Marquee.

So are the Pavilions open yet?

Can we all just get over the THUG comment?! :blink: No one is going to change anyone elses opinions of what exactly constitutes a "thug". Some of us are Republican. Some of us are Democrats. Some of us are racists. Some of us are not. Some of us are conservative. Some of us are liberal. Some of us are homophobic. Some of us are not. What does it matter at the end of the day? We're here to talk architecture. If u feel threatened or offended by someones comments debate it in PM. ;)

I go to Jillians and hang out at the center every couple of weeks, and I have NEVER seen a problem there. It's quite dead during the day, but it's quite lively at night.

In response to the article about the stabbing at Drink Houston. get over it, I don't think there are only a couple of places that haven't had an incident involving police at ANY bar.

When it comes to the hispanic population there, I have no problem nor have I cared about it. it DOES seem like it's a "bit" urban, but they're mostly posers and nothing to worry about. In fact, I have a tendency to make fun of how they dress with my date there.

In fact, I now have a comment I tell a girlfriend of mine. "Why don't you buy something mexican?" Translation: "Buy something a bit tighter." :)

Are you two being sarcastic or is it actually coming along?

nope. being totally genuine. I was driving by a couple of days ago on the Clay side and I was surprised that there was a basement they were digging up on the eastern most block. Then earlier this week, i saw a BUNCH of old concrete materials that was piling up. Now I'm curious as to what was originally on that particular block to have that much underground.

Took a short walk to today down Dallas st. from Travis to the new park. The I went 1 block North and walk down Lamar back to Travis. A few observations....

- The base of the crane is in the ground for the lot farthest from Main ST.

- The three lots for HP, the new park, and the tower hundreds of workers are at full speed bustin their *ss

- The streets were full with people, from all walks of life. It was great atmosphere, people were eating, shopping, etc.. I don't understand why some people say the streets are dead DT.

I realy like that the club scene is dying DT. Clubs do not bring in residents or business numbers. DT doesn't need a club scene it has one of the top theatre district, great restraunts, cool bars, sporting events etc... I truly beleive DT is starting to turn into a great neighborhood to live in. Further developments such as another residential project, offices and hotel buildings will happen over the next 12 months for DT, It is very exciting times for DT and all over the city...

Things like this are what keep us from being a serious architecture forum.

Just my opinion here, but I think a *serious* architecture forum would be pretty lame, and wouldn't get nearly the number of visits that HAIF does. I doubt that even serious architects discuss only architecture 100% of the time.

Anyhow...to get back on topic: "I'm glad that the Pavilions have finally broken ground." :mellow:

Took a short walk to today down Dallas st. from Travis to the new park. The I went 1 block North and walk down Lamar back to Travis. A few observations....

- The base of the crane is in the ground for the lot farthest from Main ST.

- The three lots for HP, the new park, and the tower hundreds of workers are at full speed bustin their *ss

- The streets were full with people, from all walks of life. It was great atmosphere, people were eating, shopping, etc.. I don't understand why some people say the streets are dead DT.

I realy like that the club scene is dying DT. Clubs do not bring in residents or business numbers. DT doesn't need a club scene it has one of the top theatre district, great restraunts, cool bars, sporting events etc... ="2"]I truly beleive DT is starting to turn into a great neighborhood to live in. Further developments such as another residential project, offices and hotel buildings will happen over the next 12 months for DT, It is very exciting times for DT and all over the city...

I drove by HP and all of the other Downtown projects today (well, yesterday actually) and I can confirm all of this. One Park Place is coming along great! The underground parking gargage for Discovery Green is coming along and I even saw them building some sort of above-ground building on site. HP is coming along great, also! Lots of people walking around Downtown, too! Very exciting!! :D

is this new development going to help Midtown at all? Raise home values, etc...

As a Midtowner, I can tell you that more shopping and eating options in the area will be much appreciated.

With all the residential development in the area, the commercial development is lacking (or lagging). All in good time, I suppose. There is finally a CVS going in down the street. I know the Forum generally detests full blocks being swallowed up by a convenience store, but if you had to drive ten minutes to buy deodorant, you'd be singing a different tune.

Edited by bkjones98