GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Do Books A Million sales dvd's and cd's?

I don't think so. But the prices for those items are WAY too high in Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. I am sure that there will be some sort of "entertainment" oriented store in HP that would sell electronics, games, music, movies, etc. It just seems to fit the mantra.

On the other hand, I think that the "urban" concept of this Books-A-Million will be the first of its kind for that company. So maybe they'll include music and movies.

They are now located at dunlavy and Westheimer across the street from Cafe Brasil right next door to American Apparel. It's the building where Mid Centtury Modern Furniture use to be.

It's more Main at Dallas across the street from Macy's on Main.

So DUO just moved or maybe it was a second location already opened before the Galleria location shut down? I work at the Galleria and saw the notice posted on DUO glass door stating that the locks had been changed and they had 10 working days to pay $80,000 in back rent or the merch would be seized. I find it hard to believe they'd just open up a new store if they got kicked out of the Galleria. Seems like there'd be some sort of legal repercussion going on... <shrug>

On the "Downtowner" map that block had the Scottish Rite Cathedral and some used car lots.

Thank you Subdude.

Looks like all 3 surface lots have been just about that for the last 67 years, many used car lots. I want to know what they did out from the corner filling station on Dallas and Caroline. Ill post my pics later. Im curious though as to how this Freds Hotel looked like on Main an Fannin in 1940. I need to dig through old pics.

Have any of you been to Urban Market in Dallas? They need an equivalent in downtown Houston. It's a real jewel to have two blocks from my (current) residence. Having to drive to Randall's (or worse, much further to a less overpriced store) is a pity. :(

So DUO just moved or maybe it was a second location already opened before the Galleria location shut down? I work at the Galleria and saw the notice posted on DUO glass door stating that the locks had been changed and they had 10 working days to pay $80,000 in back rent or the merch would be seized. I find it hard to believe they'd just open up a new store if they got kicked out of the Galleria. Seems like there'd be some sort of legal repercussion going on... <shrug>

Duo moved completely, according to one of their employees to "get more room", and so they could sell furniture. But I think its bull. Its stupid to open up so close to their sister store Wish, a couple blocks down, which sell some of the EXACT SAME clothes... :closedeyes:

On the other hand, I think that the "urban" concept of this Books-A-Million will be the first of its kind for that company. So maybe they'll include music and movies.

I hate to disapoint you, but they have stores in urban locations such as upont Circle in DC, and they do not sell CDs. Joe Muggs does have good coffee though.

I hate to disapoint you, but they have stores in urban locations such as upont Circle in DC, and they do not sell CDs. Joe Muggs does have good coffee though.

It won't disappoint me that they don't sell CD's. They're way overpriced at bookstores to me. I saw 8-9 year old CDs at a Borders in Fairfax, VA for like $18.99! Insane!

They are now located at dunlavy and Westheimer across the street from Cafe Brasil right next door to American Apparel. It's the building where Mid Centtury Modern Furniture use to be.

when did they open ??

Edited by what

[/quote

...when did you notice the lock-out ????

[/quote

...when did you notice the lock-out ????

dont remember the exact date... late jan - early feb. I thought it was really awesome that the galleria just plastered their business on the inside of a glass door for the whole mall to see. lol How exactly do you miss 80,000 in rent?? Im sure they were sent noticed beforehand. anyway. this has gotten off topic. :)

you must be talking about another store, because they had the store on lower westheimer for years now.

On the 1600 block of Westheimer. I'm pretty sure Mid Century Modern Furniture was there before. The exterior of the place is painted all black now with a Duo awning. West of American Apparel.

On the 1600 block of Westheimer. I'm pretty sure Mid Century Modern Furniture was there before. The exterior of the place is painted all black now with a Duo awning. West of American Apparel.

oh so it sounds like they just decided to change the name then from wishes to duo ?

Great news! third block still untouched?

Yeah, last time I checked it was still intact. I would guess that its work will be a little more tricky with it being next to Main and everything. The first parts of construction on the new parking garage at Main and Walker required a lot of extra coordination with the trains, traffic, and construction equipment. This will be the same here I suspect.

Yeah, last time I checked it was still intact. I would guess that its work will be a little more tricky with it being next to Main and everything. The first parts of construction on the new parking garage at Main and Walker required a lot of extra coordination with the trains, traffic, and construction equipment. This will be the same here I suspect.

not anymore, I drove by this evening and they had a big stack of fencing and posts ready to be installed. I figured tomorrow or this weekend is when it'll be blocked off.

Oh, I can almost hear the screams from the people that are going to delicate flower about the parking.

oh so it sounds like they just decided to change the name then from wishes to duo ?

No, Wish & Duo are seperate stores, even though they're both owned by American Apparel, and majority of their clothes are the same... I don't understand why Duo Moved only a few blocks from Wish, eventually I think one or both will go out of business.

Edited by Montrose1100

No, Wish & Duo are seperate stores, even though they're both owned by American Apparel, and majority of their clothes are the same... I don't understand why Duo Moved only a few blocks from Wish, eventually I think one or both will go out of business.

Actually, back on Topic. Thanks for clarifying this. So from reading your response and some of the previous posts below these are all the same companies. Are these the guys that I am also reading about going into space at Sakowitz across from the Houston Pavilions then ?

pip.gif

Group: Members

Member No.: 163

spacer.gif

QUOTE(WesternGulf @ Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 @ 10:28am) post_snapback.gifThey are now located at dunlavy and Westheimer across the street from Cafe Brasil right next door to American Apparel. It's the building where Mid Centtury Modern Furniture use to be.

It's more Main at Dallas across the street from Macy's on Main.

McKee Street Bridge

pip.gif

Group: Members

Member No.: 163

spacer.gif

QUOTE(hokieone @ Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 @ 9:10am) post_snapback.gifi believe that your "urban crate and barrel" is already in the works based off of previous articles. i think that the company that owns the clothing boutique wish is supposed to open a lifestyle store in the sakowitz building - as to when that will happen, who knows, but i believe that is supposed to have more of your plates/ glasses/ furniture type retail. don't remember where the article was that had that, but i remember seeing that before.

The heard that the company that owns WISH also owns American Apparel and used to own DUO at the Galleria. Is that company doing ok?? The store at the Galleria closed b/c of back rent in excess of $80,000 was not paid. The galleria changed the locks and seized all the merch inside.

Actually, back on Topic. Thanks for clarifying this. So from reading your response and some of the previous posts below these are all the same companies. Are these the guys that I am also reading about going into space at Sakowitz across from the Houston Pavilions then ?

pip.gif

yes

After driving by the site again today (They restacked the fencing off the sidewalk), I noticed a few of the trees didn't have a protective covering of planks surrounding them, I already assumed a few of the trees were going to be lost, but does that mean that the others that are not protected are doomed as well?

Gee, where will all those annoying birds live? I guess they have to live in a more dense environment as well. > :)