GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Okay, will I think of lifestyle complex as something that has everything, but think of malls as basically stores and restaurants with no bars, clubs, or dancing.

I'm just teasing. I agree; "mall" is a rather bland moniker. Especially considering the fact that we

does anyone think they will expand the tunnels from the houston center to connect with HP, Park Tower, and Discovery Green

Well the closest entrance into the tunnels that I can think of is the Park Shops. It wouldn't seem unreasonable to connect them.

Well the closest entrance into the tunnels that I can think of is the Park Shops. It wouldn't seem unreasonable to connect them.

yeah you're probably right, they'll probably just connect them with skywalks.... alot cheaper too!

Okay, well I think of lifestyle complex as something that has everything, but think of malls as basically stores and restaurants with no bars, clubs, or dancing.

How long until we have a new buzzword? When every shopping center with a Crate & Barrel or Linens n Things claims to be a lifestyle center, methinks its time for a new moniker.

How long until we have a new buzzword? When every shopping center with a Crate & Barrel or Linens n Things claims to be a lifestyle center, methinks its time for a new moniker.

I agree that labels such as 'lifestyle center' and the banal neotraditional 'town center' (which came into vogue in Houston only briefly before hijacked by NewQuest) have been done to death, but a new moniker would only further pollute the lexicon with a new cliche.

I prefer a minimalist approach, personally. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

does anyone think they will expand the tunnels from the houston center to connect with HP, Park Tower, and Discovery Green

To One Park Place: no, because it's expensive and not needed for a residential development. Not enough of their residents would live within the short distance people are really willing to walk, even when you add those true inner city types (like those from Chicago, NYC) who are willing to walk. Just not enough of them to pass the cost/benefit analysis.

To Discovery Green: no, because it's not needed. That would be like bypassing the stairs and taking an escalator upstairs to a gym. (Seen that pic?)

To HP: would definitely benefit the office component, is possible, but the developer isn't currently going in that direction.

Guest Marty
WOW that's my birthday this is a lot better than the socks and underwear(boxers not briefs) i useuly get. :lol:

Go Pavilions

Holy sheep doodles it took me 5 minutes to find this post :lol: Did anybody take any pic's of this event?

...which led to a very confusing conversation circa 1981:

"It was by the mall, on Montrose."

"There's no mall on Montrose."

"Sure there is, just north of Westheimer. In the middle of the street."

"You mean the esplanade?"

"The what?"

That is funny. Kind of like a "Whos on first?".

That'd be kinda pointless for everyone except the current tunnel shops. Most of the retail will be on street level from all three place (HP, Park Tower, Discovery Green). It's obvious the goal is to enhance a pedestrian environment and encourage people to walk from one shop to the next. Building tunnels there would defeat that purpose.

It'd be like building a tunnel from one side of the Galleria to the other. What benefit would it have on the shops in the mall itself if there's less pedestrians passing by?

Perhaps after a while, it could happen, but downtown is still at a minimal stage of pedestrian shopping compared to places like in Asia, where they have shopping at street level as well as under the roads.

I think the place I'm looking forward to the most there is the Books-A-Million.

I am looking forward to Lucky Strike Bowling... I think that will be a fun places to go to. I am really looking forward to being able to shop at HP, but I am waiting for more retail places to be announced... so far nothing has really excited me. I would like to see something along the lines of H&M, Gap, A&F, Banana Republic or Express Men... places like these. B)

I am looking forward to Lucky Strike Bowling... I think that will be a fun places to go to. I am really looking forward to being able to shop at HP, but I am waiting for more retail places to be announced... so far nothing has really excited me. I would like to see something along the lines of H&M, Gap, A&F, Banana Republic or Express Men... places like these. B)

Well Lucky Strike will be awesome as long as the mgmt has a good maint. policy unlike Jillians (and the whole marquee for that matter).

I wouldn't be expecting ANY Gap Inc stores to be announced considering Gap has started closing houston stores due to poor sales (Highland Village, West Oaks Mall etc,.) and with their latest concept Forth & Towne getting the axe. Limited Inc stores are a possibility but that's nothing too exciting. A&F Inc stores are doubtful also. They've stopped building A&F, started converting abercrombie kids to Hollisters, building a Ruehl in the Galleria and have a new brand, Gilly Hicks that gets debuted next year. H&M would be awesome and it may be lip service but I contacted them about a Houston location and they said they were presently "looking for the perfect Houston location for Texas' 1st Store"... so maybe??

Well Lucky Strike will be awesome as long as the mgmt has a good maint. policy unlike Jillians (and the whole marquee for that matter).

I wouldn't be expecting ANY Gap Inc stores to be announced considering Gap has started closing houston stores due to poor sales (Highland Village, West Oaks Mall etc,.) and with their latest concept Forth & Towne getting the axe. Limited Inc stores are a possibility but that's nothing too exciting. A&F Inc stores are doubtful also. They've stopped building A&F, started converting abercrombie kids to Hollisters, building a Ruehl in the Galleria and have a new brand, Gilly Hicks that gets debuted next year. H&M would be awesome and it may be lip service but I contacted them about a Houston location and they said they were presently "looking for the perfect Houston location for Texas' 1st Store"... so maybe??

:o Really? If they were to pick Downtown Houston... THAT... WOULD... BE... AWSOME!!! :D

Sorry to get off the subject of the Pavillions for a moment and go back to another subject that was discussed earlier in this thread when I was talking with a few people about the redo of the Exxon builing. Well I got a closer look at the building that I was talking about originally. Although I wish the Exxon building redo was more dynamic I was actually talking about the building directly south of it. In fact when you are on the spur exiting and you see the Exxon building this one is shorter and exactly in the shadow so it kind of blends in. It looks to be half as tall as the exxon building and has the shadow of an old sign that says Hotel. Also the shadow of a symbol that looks like it might be the Days Inn symbol. Anyway this abandoned looking building bothers me since it can be seen so easily when passing through Houston on the Pierce Elevated. It has broken windows and looks terrible. Anyone know if this has any renovation plans or maybe even just torn down?

Thanks!

Sorry to get off the subject of the Pavillions for a moment and go back to another subject that was discussed earlier in this thread when I was talking with a few people about the redo of the Exxon builing. Well I got a closer look at the building that I was talking about originally. Although I wish the Exxon building redo was more dynamic I was actually talking about the building directly south of it. In fact when you are on the spur exiting and you see the Exxon building this one is shorter and exactly in the shadow so it kind of blends in. It looks to be half as tall as the exxon building and has the shadow of an old sign that says Hotel. Also the shadow of a symbol that looks like it might be the Days Inn symbol. Anyway this abandoned looking building bothers me since it can be seen so easily when passing through Houston on the Pierce Elevated. It has broken windows and looks terrible. Anyone know if this has any renovation plans or maybe even just torn down?

Thanks!

do a search under "days inn"

anyway, drove by the site and it looks like they shut down the middle parking lot.