GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Here goes a couple of large pic i found from Denver Pavilions web site to give an idea what downtown Houston will be looking like real soon. If Denver's looking like this with only 2 blocks, just imagine what Houston's 3 will be!

dusk.jpg

Oh how i wish we could have (United Artist)

entertain_center.jpg

Double that! It was mentioned that this is a 4-block project now B)

I'm a little late on the discussion, but wouldn't the kids from Rice U, who's hang out is The Village, might come to HP? I'm not talking about those strictly into the club scene, but those that simply want to hang out and eat.

Once the Eastern line is complete, you can almost count on the UH kids coming to downtown more often as well.

I wouldn't mind a few small shops/restaraunts too...just in case I don't want to sit down and eat somewhere and not spend $20.00 on a meal. HP needs a TACO BELL because there isn't one downtown. I could see it now...get off work, buy a shirt on the way home, have a couple of beers with some co-workers after, grab some Taco Bell, and then head out to another place.

Did I mention I want a Taco Bell at HP.

Here goes a couple of large pic i found from Denver Pavilions web site to give an idea what downtown Houston will be looking like real soon. If Denver's looking like this with only 2 blocks, just imagine what Houston's 3 will be!

dusk.jpg

Oh how i wish we could have (United Artist)

entertain_center.jpg

Those pics do llok great but where's the people??? That kinda worries me.

I know. I looked at their site today for the first time. Lame-o. Isn't American Apparel the same kind of Emo?

Between the Emos and the Thugs, I don't know what to think.

What happend to all the Preppies?

Ouch!!!

American Apparel is so not emo. Have you seen there Tennis dresses? How about their collared shirts? Since when is Tennis no longer preppy, and now emo? I will admit, that the stupid pictures they have of random people in their store (AND the skunk haired workers) make it emo.

All the Preppies go to the only place they know where to go... The mall [Galleria].

Double that! It was mentioned that this is a 4-block project now B)

I believe that was a mistake... whoever said it was 4 blocks now. It's still only 3 blocks... right? There are only 3 blocks there to work w/ anyway. Looking at the models, it still looks like 3 blocks.

Angelika is empty, and they usually spit main stream and artsy movies, I don't think downtown can support two theatres, unless the other is an adult theatre! :lol:

I must disagree. The past several times I have been to the Angelika (Notes on a Scandal, Letters from Iwo Jima, Last King of Scotland, Pan's Labyrinth, etc, etc...) it has been packed. Most of the movies I saw were nearly sold out and it was not even opening week. I also don't believe there is anything wrong with the bathrooms, they are no different than Edwards 24 Greenway (if not better.)

Do you even go to this theater?

I believe that was a mistake... whoever said it was 4 blocks now. It's still only 3 blocks... right? There are only 3 blocks there to work w/ anyway. Looking at the models, it still looks like 3 blocks.

The reference to 4 blocks apparently includes the Pavilions parking garage across Polk to the south.

I must disagree. The past several times I have been to the Angelika (Notes on a Scandal, Letters from Iwo Jima, Last King of Scotland, Pan's Labyrinth, etc, etc...) it has been packed. Most of the movies I saw were nearly sold out and it was not even opening week. I also don't believe there is anything wrong with the bathrooms, they are no different than Edwards 24 Greenway (if not better.)

I was wondering the same thing, since Puma doesn't even seem to know how many screens they have at Angelika.

Not to be rude but is your wife 16? I dont know any Women who shop there for clothes, just teenage girls.

No, she is 28, but very petite and always finds her size there. She enjoys buying disposable 'going out' clothes and casual 'around the house' clothes there. Alot of good looking women in their 20's shop there, but your right, alot of teenage girls too.

I for one am not complaining about the announced tennants, I'll just be happy there will be somewhere else to go besides Macy's or Park shops to kill time during a slow day at work.

Edited by Sebastian De La Ghetto!

I wouldn't mind a few small shops/restaraunts too...just in case I don't want to sit down and eat somewhere and not spend $20.00 on a meal. HP needs a TACO BELL because there isn't one downtown. I could see it now...get off work, buy a shirt on the way home, have a couple of beers with some co-workers after, grab some Taco Bell, and then head out to another place.

Did I mention I want a Taco Bell at HP.

sounds like you're not the Pavilions type person. that would be an embarassment to the project.

I agree. Frequently when I'm at the Angelika to see a movie on a Friday or Saturday night there's a long line at the box office. I've never had a problem with the bathrooms there, which are nicer than those at many other movie theaters. They could do some cleaning or replacement of the stained carpet in the main hallway leading from where they take your tickets back to the individual cinemas, but overall, it's a nice place. I do wish they could find a new tenant to operate their caf

I really could care less about Forever 21, which I had never heard of until reading the article on the groundbreaking in the Chronicle today. It's not my style. But, I'm glad it's there, even if I'll never shop there, because it will attract people to Houston Pavilions. Books a Million isn't my first choice of big box bookstores, but it's not bad at all, and I'll definitely give them some business. They probably carry 98% of the same merchandise as any Borders or Barnes & Noble in town anyway. I already do some of my shopping downtown, particularly at Macy's and Jos. A. Bank in Houston Center, and I'll be glad to frequent Houston Pavilions as well if there are stores there I like. Call me nostalgic, but I enjoy hopping on MetroRail near where I live and riding it into town, having lunch, and doing a little shopping. Back in December I did an entire Friday of Christmas shopping downtown and in Highland Village and left my car at home. Anyway, back to Houston Pavilions. I fully expect to see more tenants being added to the list in the coming months, as there is still a lot of available space in the project. I think it will also be a catalyst for similar development on the surrounding blocks, and has the potential for creating a very nice, and successful, downtown shopping and entertainment area along Main and Dallas Streets. For all of those who complain about this project or say it's doomed to fail, my only advice is to go downtown and support it when it opens. There are other retailers who are bound to be watching all of this waiting to see what happens. If Houston Pavilions is successful, you can bet on more high-end retailers looking for space Downtown. If it's a flop, they're going to stay away. The only way not to make it a flop is for people to go and spend their time and money there. Sitting back and complaining about the place 18 months before it's due to open from your living room in the suburbs isn't going to help it be a success. Getting out and supporting the retailers who are already Downtown, and those who are opening in Houston Pavilions, will.

Since HP is near the ballparks, and will have lots of restaurants and the House of Blues, I can't imagine that it can only be a success. People in Houston eat out more than in any other city in the U.S. That said, we will have great choices. Hey, you and your buddies who work downtown can go to Lucky Strike after work and have a few brews and bowl and bond. It sounds like HP is going to liven up downtown. If you build it, they will come.

Agree with the others on Angelika. It shows a mix of Artsy and first run movies. And the bathrooms are no better or worse then any other theater and the floors in halls are no better or worse then any other theater around town. I have seen many first run movies there. It is always crowded. Now it is not 30 screens so they can't show all the movies out now and they also have a commitment to the Arts movies, but if you will notice they run the Artsy movies that have big names in them, not the very independent that places like Greenway 3 shows.

I am not sure that person has ever even been to the Angelica

No, they are counting the parking garage.

no, i can see that but also saw a phrase new construction in one article. doesn't the garage exist already and they are just leasing it? either way they are doing three blocks with aerial attachments above fannin and sanjac and one to the garage.

Edited by musicman

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4588381.html

Another article on Houston Pavillions today in the Chronicle. What caught my eye was hen the mayor mentioned that there may be more residential announcements around the Downtown Park.

He also said that if you want to invest in downtown, get in line.

From most other politicians, I'd take this with a grain of salt. However, Mayor White is probably one of the most "practical" mayors Houston has seen in some time--maybe even to a fault for some. He doesn't make a lot of "pie-in-the-sky" comments and if you think about it, hasn't done a lot of "pie-in-the-sky" initiatives. Only practical ones that are fast, and achieve tangible results.

With that in mind, I look for to this project and others coming to fruition!

Edited by GovernorAggie

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4588381.html

Another article on Houston Pavillions today in the Chronicle. What caught my eye was hen the mayor mentioned that there may be more residential announcements around the Downtown Park.

From the article.

"We will be the people place to see and be seen in the city of Houston," said Denton, who is developing the project with Geoffrey Jones.

I thought that was what the Galleria mall did, how rude? :lol:

He also said that if you want to invest in downtown, get in line.

From most other politicians, I'd take this with a grain of salt. However, Mayor White is probably one of the most "practical" mayors Houston has seen in some time--maybe even to a fault for some. He doesn't make a lot of "pie-in-the-sky" comments and if you think about it, hasn't done a lot of "pie-in-the-sky" initiatives. Only practical ones that are fast, and achieve tangible results.

With that in mind, I look for to this project and others coming to fruition!

I agree with you, mostly. I still haven't seen our redlight cameras coordinated downtown. That's for another thread.