GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I know on the one side on Main Street there is the garage where American Apparel and other retail places are scheduled to go.... in the Sakowitz building. Across from the one shorter side of the Pavilions is an Italian restaurant while on the other short side is, I believe, a hotel.

Yes, west across Main Street is the Marriott Courtyard, Marriott Residence Inn and Humble Tower apartments (note, RESIDENTIAL). This building also has retail on its first floor, some filled, some slated to be filled soon I believe.

Diagonally across Main to the northwest is Macy's. Hopefully, the construction of HP will get them off their duff to bring us a remodeled and enlarged flagship Macy's.

Across Dallas to the north, we have the Sakowitz Building, the first floor of which facing Dallas will be all retail. Next is the Howell Building (office building). I don't know what they have on the first floor there, but in photos of the building it looks like it would be amenable to retail facing Dallas St. Next is the First City Garage. Perhaps the structure would allow for retail to be built on the south end of the first floor, I don't know.

Diagonally to the northeast across Caroline is the back of the Four Seasons Hotel.

To the east across Caroline is Josphine's Italian restaurant and a great-looking little japanese restaurant or something like that, and I'm not sure what else is in that block. But whatever it is, the buildings would be great for more retail.

Diagonally to the southeast, across Caroline and Polk, is a surface parking lot :-(

To the south across Polk, is the South Texas College of Law. Then the 1301 Fannin Building (office tower). I think there might be some retail space on the ground floor of this building. If not, it appears that it might be amenable to retail space. The next block is the parking garage that is part of HP (now officially named the Pavilions Garage, I believe). Again, perhaps the north end of the ground floor could be made into retail space? I don't know. But it will be connected to the Pavilions via a skywalk, I believe.

The last stop on our tour is to the southwest across Main and Polk. Here stands the Travis Tower. I'm not sure if there's much opportunity for ground floor retail on that one.

Bottom line, there appears to be significant space for street level retail surrounding HP.

I have to admit... at first when I heard about the new tenants at HP I was really down like most people. But since then I have been thinking...

- these are still good stores

- other tenants announced are great tenants

- there is still room for SEVERAL more tenants... and they will announced

- this project is actually underway... they are building!

- Downtown park, fingers tower and American apparel are all announced / underway

- the potential for more retail and residential development downtown is now great

Well, once again, I AM TOTALLY EXCITED!! :D

Yes, west across Main Street is the Marriott Courtyard, Marriott Residence Inn and Humble Tower apartments (note, RESIDENTIAL). This building also has retail on its first floor, some filled, some slated to be filled soon I believe.

Awesome info. To the best of yours or anyone elses knowledge, how much of the retail space would you say is already spoken for?

I think before everyone gets upset about the tenants, we should all remember that the Pavilions is going to be able to hold 360,000 sq. ft. of retail space. So let's do the math:

360,000sq. ft. available:

Lucky Strike = 24,800sq. ft.

House of Blues = 43,000sq. ft.

Forever 21 = 24,000+sq. ft.

Books-A-Million = 24,000+sq. ft.

Plus

Lawry's, The Prime Rib:

McCormick & Schmick's:

Yao's Restaurant and Bar:

Antica Osteria:

Red Cat Jazz Cafe:

Tuscany Coffe:

Guadalajara Del Centro:

since these 7 aren't anchor tenants like the previous 4, we'll say that they'll equal about 70,000 sq. ft.

That would give us a grand total of: 185,800 sq. ft.

Which means we would still have roughly 174,200 sq. ft. left to be occupied.

So those who are still upset about the current tenants, don't worry it seems like we still have plenty of space left to occupy. So the current list of tenants could double once this thing is all said and done. :)

Awesome info. To the best of yours or anyone elses knowledge, how much of the retail space would you say is already spoken for?

Space-wise, a lot has been taken up b/c of the bigger tenants announced... but there is still room for several smaller places, like Gap, Banana Republic, more restaurants, etc. Just look at Denver Pavilions' website at all the places they have in theirs... and theirs is only two blocks... while ours will be three!

That would give us a grand total of: 185,800 sq. ft.

Which means we would still have roughly 174,200 sq. ft. left to be occupied.

So those who are still upset about the current tenants, don't worry it seems like we still have plenty of space left to occupy. So the current list of tenants could double once this thing is all said and done. :)

Exactly... and if you think about it, that 174,000 sq ft will be filled with a lot of smaller places, not just a few big places.. meaning they will be able to fit a lot of them!

Some good news out of this thread. Hey, I shop at Forever 21 Men in Union Square in San Francisco sometimes and you can really dress the stuff up. I can say I am sick of the emo scene too, but you have to be really selective to pull off the look when in that store. You cannot beat the prices either.

I know. I looked at their site today for the first time. Lame-o. Isn't American Apparel the same kind of Emo?

Between the Emos and the Thugs, I don't know what to think.

What happend to all the Preppies?

I think the difference with American Apparel is that they sell products that fit well and are well made. It's a brand for forward-thinking urban youth and I think it's store will do very well in downtown Houston. It may cost a little more to buy their products but you feel like your supporting a respectable company. Forever 21 is cheap in comparison.

Forever 21 has a concept called XXI, which, from what I gather from their website is larger and more "anchor-like" and seems to go in the more upscale malls (eg Memorial City, Northpark). Is it perhaps a XXI store, and not just a run-of-the-mill Forever 21?

XXI is Forever 21. Just a new logo. No difference, maybe just a lil bigger. Same cheap clothes that will last maybe 2 months.

I know. I looked at their site today for the first time. Lame-o. Isn't American Apparel the same kind of Emo?

Between the Emos and the Thugs, I don't know what to think.

What happend to all the Preppies?

*raises hand...sort of*

I'm probably the only person who still wears Rugby shirts, distressed baggy cargo pants, and Doc Martens(older pairs made in England; not the crappy new Chinese ones). Oh, and of course, no one else wears Eddie Bauer anymore, either. Heck, I have some 15 year old t shirts from EB (that I gladly took from my dad, who never wears em anymore, anyway). They still look better than most of the graphic tees these days that fall apart after like 3 months.

Hey, don't knock forever XXI, mark my words, the joint will be crawling with good looking women.

AND my wife can spend her time there while i knock'em back with my buddies at whichever happy hour location strikes my fancy that evening.

Good times are coming..

Not to be rude but is your wife 16? I dont know any Women who shop there for clothes, just teenage girls.

*raises hand...sort of*

I'm probably the only person who still wears Rugby shirts, distressed baggy cargo pants, and Doc Martens(older pairs made in England; not the crappy new Chinese ones). Oh, and of course, no one else wears Eddie Bauer anymore, either. Heck, I have some 15 year old t shirts from EB (that I gladly took from my dad, who never wears em anymore, anyway). They still look better than most of the graphic tees these days that fall apart after like 3 months.

Eddie Baur, that's great, ha

I still sport one of their shirts.

Seeing how obsessed you are with Barnes & Noble and movie theaters, it sounds like the suburbs is the perfect place for you.

Hey! I resemble that remark! I live in the burbs! It doesnt mean I dont care about downtown and wish it to succeed, or that I'm some kind of looser!!

Here goes a couple of large pic i found from Denver Pavilions web site to give an idea what downtown Houston will be looking like real soon. If Denver's looking like this with only 2 blocks, just imagine what Houston's 3 will be!

dusk.jpg

Oh how i wish we could have (United Artist)

entertain_center.jpg

Edited by tierwestah