GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I think we can say this will be a step above Bayou Place. Bayou Place may be in the Theater District but the aea is dead even when the 9-5 crowd is around. Those three parkng lots almost had more ped traffic Monday through Friday than Bayou Place. Let's just wait until the rest of the tenants are released. Yes it seems like it is oversaturated with restaurants, but the fact that soft goods retail such as Forever XXI has signed on is a good sign and hopefully more will come.

Be careful not to confuse style of dress w/ actual thugs. As long as they don't bring crime, I could care less. Money is what matters, and if they have it, let them shop.

no confusion. a thug will harass bartenders, create problems for customers, etc. i could care less how people are dressed. money is NOT what matters. if a thug is harassing customers, then the owner (of a place like warren's, etc) would ask them to leave. it's not about money. it is about keeping your good customers.

Edited by musicman

Stucturally this will not happen, you can't support the same weight with supports designed for a lighter weight, and it would not be cost effective to have heavy duty supports for a future expansion that will never happen, especially after all the tenant settle in would complain of dust and noise scaring customers away.

Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't build extra-strong pilings. It wouldn't be unheard of. Even the Chinatown Mall on Chartres Street has strong pilings, and the owner plans on one day building vertically onto the shopping center.

By making the property expandable in the future, they add a great deal of value to the property when it is time to sell it off.

no confusion. a thug will harass bartenders, create problems for customers, etc. i could care less how people are dressed. money is NOT what matters. if a thug is harassing customers, then the owner (of a place like warren's, etc) would ask them to leave. it's not about money. it is about keeping your good customers.

What I meant when referring to, "those who have the money, let them shop," is those whom he may have thought of as "thugs" b/c of the way they dress, but they really are not-lI say let THEM shop. (Which I didn't mean to put words in his mouth, but I was just trying to make a point, just in case that's what he really thought, that anyone who dresses like a thug, commits thug-type activity.)

I don't want actual thugs who create crime there.

Actually, I'd be surprised if they didn't build extra-strong pilings. It wouldn't be unheard of. Even the Chinatown Mall on Chartres Street has strong pilings, and the owner plans on one day building vertically onto the shopping center.

By making the property expandable in the future, they add a great deal of value to the property when it is time to sell it off.

Well, if that were true, than the release or media would reveal that it could incorporate a residential addition.

But everything thing I have read so far reveals that it had been removed, and will not be considered again for a future expansion.

I don't even think there are expansion plans forecasted with this development. What we see is what we get.

If the population base from those mere two residential midrises was going to have that much of an impact on the success of this project, then this project was/is doomed anyway. Like with Denver Pavillions, the development is looking to tap into the existing downtown population of workers, visitors and residential. I agree that it would be nice/cool to have the residential component at opening--and maybe it will eventually spawn an expansion some time after the grand opening--but the true success of this project--as it is/was with Denver--will come from the Pavillions' ability to lure workers, tourists and casual visitors downtown.

concur!!

I can't believe how upset a lot of people are getting. I am a bit bummed by the new tenants, also... but this project is still happening with great tenants... and MORE tenants will be announced. Our project is bigger than Denver's... and just go to their website and see the number of stores they have. They are two blocks... we are going to be three! I was hoping we would get a movie theater... but oh well.

Please do!

And downtown already has one movie theatre. How many do you really think we need?

We need one that is maintained, Angelika is in dire need of some renovation.

The place is filthly and the restrooms are busted. :angry2:

I was hoping we would get a movie theater... but oh well.

We have a filthy one already.

We need to clean the Angelika first, maybe Bayou Place will encourage them to clean up and renovate again.

It is a decent 6 screen stadium seating theatre.

Edited by Pumapayam

I don't want actual thugs who create crime there.

LOL that is funny! so what kind of thugs do you want?

We need to clean the Angelika first, maybe Bayou Place will encourage them to clean up and renovate again.

well now that bayou place is finally going to rent some of the space west of bagby (earthlink or whoever was moving there) things are at least improving there too. that space has been empty since its inception.

LOL that is funny! so what kind of thugs do you want?

well now that bayou place is finally going to rent some of the space west of bagby (earthlink or whoever was moving there) things are at least improving there too. that space has been empty since its inception.

You know what I meant. I don't want criminals.

I like the Angelika Theater, but they usually play more "independent" films. That's great... but it would be nice to have a theater that plays all the big box office movies.

I can't believe how upset a lot of people are getting. I am a bit bummed by the new tenants, also... but this project is still happening with great tenants... and MORE tenants will be announced. Our project is bigger than Denver's... and just go to their website and see the number of stores they have. They are two blocks... we are going to be three! I was hoping we would get a movie theater... but oh well.

That's so true, I just went to the Denver Pavilions website and they have way more stores, restaurants, and clubs listed. So the known tenants for the Houston Pavilions is just the beginning, we still have another year and half to go before this things is complete. That's a long time for a load of new tenants to sign up with HP. Once again, I think we should just be happy to see the progress being made and sit back to enjoy all of the new tenants that will continue to be announced in the coming months and year.

I believe he may be referring to wiggers.

That's kind of uncalled for since that's a play off the real word. Regardless if it's a real term or not.

Many non-blacks think that just b/c they dress urban or thuggish that they are criminals. It's also just a fashion for people who are not criminals.

The thing that I really enjoy about the Denver Pavilions is how it does seem to be very accessible from the street and it seems really open with space. There also seems to be a lot of windows and street banners which I think gives it a much more livelier atmosphere. I can't tell from the models but I hope this is something the Houston Pavilions really incorporates.

I like the Angelika Theater, but they usually play more "independent" films. That's great... but it would be nice to have a theater that plays all the big box office movies.

Angelika is empty, and they usually spit main stream and artsy movies, I don't think downtown can support two theatres, unless the other is an adult theatre! :lol:

That's so true, I just went to the Denver Pavilions website and they have way more stores, restaurants, and clubs listed. So the known tenants for the Houston Pavilions is just the beginning, we still have another year and half to go before this things is complete. That's a long time for a load of new tenants to sign up with HP. Once again, I think we should just be happy to see the progress being made and sit back to enjoy all of the new tenants that will continue to be announced in the coming months and year.

Exactly! Let's not forget, just b/c a store isn't coming to Pavilions doesn't mean it won't now come to Downtown. American Apparel is opening up right next to Pavilions. I have bought a few shirts from there and I really like them... plus I love their multi-colored undies. ha ha ha American Apparel also has a history of opening up in areas needing more retail... they like to lead the way... and others always follow. I would love to see a Gap and Banana Republic... they would not be anchor stores... so they could still come to Pavilions. Those who wanted Barnes and Noble... well, the book store they announced is basically the same thing! Forever 21... ok, never been there... was hoping for something bigger, but oh well. I would have liked to have seen a Virgin Megastore or Niketown... but now that I think about it, I wouldn't shop there! ha ha For shoes, I like Sketchers... and for music, I get that stuff elsewhere. I would have liked to have seen a movie theater... but hey, look at the awsome, trendy bowling lanes we are getting! That will be fun to go to! No condo tower upset you?... well, residential vacancy rates downtown are very low... so I am sure other projects will be announced.

Go to Denver Pavilions' website and see how many tenants they have... on 2 blocks. We will have three blocks.

You want to know why I am excited?... b/c coming to Downtown in 2008 is OVER 360,000 sq. feet of NEW RETAIL SPACE, including clothing stores, a huge bookstore, a trendy bowling alley, Houston of Blues and SEVERAL great restaurants. Also coming to Downtown, a new, huge Downtown Park that will include restaurants. Following all of this is the new fingers tower already under construction. This will have street-level retail including a small grocery store.

NONE OF THIS EXISTS IN DOWNTOWN TODAY.... STILL SAD?

I don't think downtown can support two theatres, unless the other is an adult theatre!
Va-va-voom!
Exactly! Let's not forget, just b/c a store isn't coming to Pavilions doesn't mean it won't now come to Downtown. American Apparel is opening up right next to Pavilions.

What's the name of the other retailer that's joining American Apparel? I can't remember for crap.

The thing that I really enjoy about the Denver Pavilions is how it does seem to be very accessible from the street and it seems really open with space. There also seems to be a lot of windows and street banners which I think gives it a much more livelier atmosphere. I can't tell from the models but I hope this is something the Houston Pavilions really incorporates.

It will. Go to the Pavilions' website (I know it needs updating) and look at the colored pictures under "Renderings". I am sure it will look very similar to that... minus the condo towers, of course.

Va-va-voom!

What's the name of the other retailer that's joining American Apparel? I can't remember for crap.

Not sure, but I believe others were announced a few months ago.

That's kind of uncalled for since that's a play off the real word. Regardless if it's a real term or not.

Excuse me. Allow me to rephrase what I'd said:

I believe [lockmat] may be refering to such people, disproportionately caucasian youth of middle-class background, as commonly engage in the cultural appropriation of real or perceived African-American stereotypes that have evolved out of a culture of poverty.

Better?

Is there retail space available across the street from Pavilions on all the different sides? If so, I'm sure those will be gone soon. And if they're occupied already, I'm sure they're gonna benefit greatly soon.

I know on the one side on Main Street there is the garage where American Apparel and other retail places are scheduled to go.... in the Sakowitz building. Across from the one shorter side of the Pavilions is an Italian restaurant while on the other short side is, I believe, a hotel.

Excuse me. Allow me to rephrase what I'd said:

I believe [lockmat] may be refering to such people, disproportionately caucasian youth of middle-class background, as commonly engage in the cultural appropriation of real or perceived African-American stereotypes that have evolved out of a culture of poverty.

Better?

Actually, yeah. I think it's best to stay away from that word, dont you?

Haha, and although it's 'better', it's not exactly what I was talking about, although they could be included. And you know the sad thing (IMO), it's not just "youth" who dress like that.