GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

The exterior work was not a rennovation as such. It was a stablization of the exterior. As for the inside, it is still a forest of columns set on 10' centers.

I was up in my best friend's office last week helping him pack for his move to Exxon's Greenway offices. I asked him why he was being so frantic and he said he could not wait to get out of "this stinking hell-hole." He used to be in the old First City Exxon space adjacent to the Pavillions and South Texas and was looking forward to perhaps buying or leasing another condo there. Then Exxon moved him to Bell Street and now to Greenway. As it turns out, the condos at the Pavilions are dead so he is now looking at properties around Greenway.

Sure would be nice to see Exxon consolidate their offices downtown the way Chevron is doing (and move their HQ to Houston where it belongs while they are at it)

Ohh the Exon building. Thanks. It looked pretty bad and was long overdue. I thought it was abandoned. I thought I remembered broken windows too. hmmm. Anyway, Glad to hear they will make that building look nicer.

I would also love if Macy's would do a redo on the old downtown foley's. It just looks so drab around there. Heck if they just power washed off the urine it would smell better and cleaned it up a bit inside and out. That would go nicely with the Pavillions coming soon nearby.

I heard that a re-do was planned for Macy's...

Does anybody have the most recent renderings of what the Pavilions is going to look like since it seems construction is about to get underway? Could there still be changes made to the appearance of the structure even though it's already in early stages of construction?

getting back on topic, the just moved the barrels from the second parking lot.

This is great. We are all (including me) so anxiously awaiting the ground breaking that we are going to have a play by play account of the construction:

- "Construction worker just went to the porta-potty. Been in there 10 minutes, delaying start of ground breaking due to breaking of wind"

:rolleyes:

Edited by mls1202

Official Ceremony to follow Feb. 27th.

WOW that's my birthday this is a lot better than the socks and underwear(boxers not briefs) i useuly get. :lol:

Go Pavilions

Edited by Marty

This is great. We are all (including me) so anxiously awaiting the ground breaking that we are going to have a play by play account of the construction:

- "Construction worker just went to the porta-potty. Been in there 10 minutes, delaying start of ground breaking due to breaking of wind"

:rolleyes:

Was this the guy who went in at 3 PM, or was there a different one that I missed?

The third lot is roped off. The middle lot is full of cars but I saw a few guys on ladders taking down lights and other misc. things. The first lot next to the rail line was full of cars.

I can verify this. I went to the Rox game last night and that lot (the one furthest east) was indeed closed off, and the effects of it were enormous. You can usually get a nice on-street parking spot along Caroline for Toyota Center events, but it was PACKED. I kinda liked the notion of almost all the on-street parking being taken up. The effects of closing the other two lots will be the same. With Toyota Center having SO many events each year, I would think that that the pedestrian traffic alone resulting from on-street parkers would have good results (maybe eventually more storefronts, for example) from downtown.

So I guess the House of Blues may be coming online first? Or is the entire project coming online at the same time?

new dumpster on site.

putting protective sheath of wooden planks on second lot.

Amazing. What does this say about downtown and maybe even our city in general? We are so hungry for a development like this that we wait on baited breath for every little development. When was the last significant $200+ million private development like this in Houston? This can't be the first, can it? I'm sure there were some anticipated office towers, but what else? Either way, I am just as excited as everyone else here!

By the way, it may be 5 days until the "official" ground breaking! But then I wouldn't be surprised if they got going at the pace of One Park Place soon afterwards.

Edited by GovernorAggie

Amazing. What does this say about downtown and maybe even our city in general? We are so hungry for a development like this that we wait on baited breath for every little development. When was the last significant $200+ million private development like this in Houston? This can't be the first, can it? I'm sure there were some anticipated office towers, but what else? Either way, I am just as excited as everyone else here!

By the way, it may be 5 days until the "official" ground breaking! But then I wouldn't be surprised if they got going at the pace of One Park Place soon afterwards.

Although this would be a great project anywhere in Houston, I think the fact that it is right in the middle of Downtown is what gets me most excited. I also get excited thinking about what this project could do for Downtown in terms of attracting more residential and retail projects. If Houston Pavilions was going to be built in the Galleria, I would be excited, but not nearly as excited as I am with it being build Downtown. Just look at all the construction going on or getting ready to go on in Downtown compared to just 6 months ago..... Discovery Green, the Fingers residential tower which will include street-level retail, Houston Pavilions, American Apparel (hopefully opening sometime in the next few months)... I think we have seen a big turning point for Downtown. :D

Widespread development isn't the problem in Houston. There's tons of developments all around the city. The problem is that a segment (read: HAIFers) of the population so desire to see an expansion and evolution of the TYPE of development found in the core that they anxiously await them and immerse themselves in every detail.

There was a massive retail complex that finally opened up in NE Houston, but that's NE Houston, and it's strippish in nature, so we here at HAIF shrug our shoulders at it. However, a large, mixed-use development inside the Loop?

Ha-cha-cha!!

I too am very excited about the possibilities of this project. It's interesting though to note that in many places this wouldn't be that big of a deal. It's almost criminal that DT is so far behind real cities.

True, but at least things are improving... the future of Downtown looks bright, and it's fun to watch. I am excited to see what Downtown will be like 3 to 5 years from now. :wub:

Official groundbreaking ceremony: 2/27/07, 10:30 am