GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Was there ever an official announcement made by the builders that today was to be the day for groundbreaking or was it just some second hand info that some guy posted on this website?

Maybe everybody at HAIF got buzzed for nothing. I would think that before the actual ground breaking starts there would be all kinds of tell-tale signs going on around the construction sight for weeks before any dirt is moved. I heard that cars were parked there last week so I'm not so surprised that groundbreaking did not begin today. Now- if the cars had not been there today that would have lead me to believe that the groundbreaking was near.

Edited by Coaster

I think the 2/5 groundbreaking date was just hearsay to begin with. However, that doesn't mean I have any more confidence in this project. The website doesn't even list any developments since April 2006!! Guys, this doesn't pass the smell test. It's a shame...

the 2/5 date was apparently given to someone via email from an inquiry to HP

but yeah, there's no evidence for a 2/5 groundbreaking (and especially physical evidence...)

the folks at HP should be embarrassed about the website. to me, it indicates a failure of a project.

Edited by sevfiv

I think the 2/5 groundbreaking date was just hearsay to begin with. However, that doesn't mean I have any more confidence in this project. The website doesn't even list any developments since April 2006!! Guys, this doesn't pass the smell test. It's a shame...
the 2/5 date was apparently given to someone via email from an inquiry to HP

but yeah, there's no evidence for a 2/5 groundbreaking (and especially physical evidence...)

the folks at HP should be embarrassed about the website. to me, it indicates a failure of a project.

That's what I thought. I've seen this date being discussed here for weeks, but I never read or heard about anything official, just a lot of rumours.

Throughout this entire post all I've heard was hearsay statements. The info that some of y'all come up with is waaay off. Did we see a groundbreaking yet? No!

If it's going to be any groundbreaking Channel 11, 13 and 2 should broadcast it, even the Houston Chroncile. They haven't post nothing on the Pavilion since sometime last year.

I resreach my info before I post it on here, and some of y'all need to do the same besides listening to other people.

Majority of info on this thread as been false.

Edited by houstonsemipro

Yawn.

Calm down people. This is a multi million dollar project in the heart of downtown on THREE full city blocks. It involves private financing which has been obtained according to various press releases as well as public financing from the city and county. Projects as large as this one are more often than not delayed from the start.

MAJOR national and local brands have been announced as signing on to the project and national architectural firms are lined up (H.O.K.).

Here are the KNOWN names heading into the Pavilions;

A 43,000 square foot House of Blues with a 1,500 seat music performance hall

A 37,000 square foot medical clinic in the office portion

A 24,800 square foot Lucky Strike that will have 16 bowling lanes, a billiard hall, a 90 seat restaurant, and a vintage bar

Lawry's Prime Rib is opening just their 5th U.S. location

McCormick and Schmick's is opening their second Houston location

Tuscany (a coffee house) is opening its 3rd Houston location

Yao's Restaurant and Bar will open its 2nd Houston location

Antica Osteria, a Houston Italian restaurant will open a 2nd location

Red Cat Jazz Cafe has signed on

Relax. This is an entirely different animal than the Shamrock and a much more complicated transaction. It will happen. Just have some faith!

• Like 1

Yawn.

Calm down people. This is a multi million dollar project in the heart of downtown on THREE full city blocks. It involves private financing which has been obtained according to various press releases as well as public financing from the city and county. Projects as large as this one are more often than not delayed from the start.

MAJOR national and local brands have been announced as signing on to the project and national architectural firms are lined up (H.O.K.).

Here are the KNOWN names heading into the Pavilions;

A 43,000 square foot House of Blues with a 1,500 seat music performance hall

A 37,000 square foot medical clinic in the office portion

A 24,800 square foot Lucky Strike that will have 16 bowling lanes, a billiard hall, a 90 seat restaurant, and a vintage bar

Lawry's Prime Rib is opening just their 5th U.S. location

McCormick and Schmick's is opening their second Houston location

Tuscany (a coffee house) is opening its 3rd Houston location

Yao's Restaurant and Bar will open its 2nd Houston location

Antica Osteria, a Houston Italian restaurant will open a 2nd location

Red Cat Jazz Cafe has signed on

Relax. This is an entirely different animal than the Shamrock and a much more complicated transaction. It will happen. Just have some faith!

Well done. And thank you for the shot of reality. It has also been my understanding that the general contractor is already under contract as well.

• Like 1

Who has popcorn?

Got some in da microwave, yo B)

Yo Next of Kin, I think after Pavillions begins construction, we may see a spark of other developments around that particular area. Until then, developers seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach with Downtown until construction begins on that project.

I think the 2/5 groundbreaking date was just hearsay to begin with.

I bet it was third-hand hearsay that was actually groundhog day, not groundbreaking, and they got the name and date mixed up with this project. :rolleyes:

I think these dates are like real estate closing dates; they estimate then hope it happens, and stuff happens, and then it doesn't happen "on time".

On the other hand, we've seen a lot of projects fizzle so I can't blame those on the houstonsemitoldyouso bandwagon.

Here's another piece of positive information: HOK (the primary architecture firm on the project recently added an architect to its Houston officewho "will have the title of project manager, leading the effort in the management of Houston Pavilions, a mixed-use project in downtown Houston. "

And even more info that suggests the project is alive:

From the January 24, 2007 Houston City Council meeting: "An ordinance issuing a permit to Houston Pavilions, L.P. for a major downtown development was tagged by Pam Holm and Ronald Green. The project includes an 80-foot-wide aerial pedestrian walkway with retail shops above and within the Fannin street right of way between Polk and Dallas Streets; an 80-foot-wide aerial pedestrian walkway with retail shops above and within the San Jacinto street right of way between Polk and Dallas Streets; an 80-foot aerial pedestrian walkway above and within the Polk Street right of way between Main and Fannin Streets; and several other amenities."

And even better:

From the January 31, 2007 Houston City Council meeting: "The city council voted to issue a permit to Houston Pavilions L.P. for a major construction project. The permit includes, "constructing using, occupying, operating, maintaining and repairing two building footings, one each within the Polk and Fannin and the Polk and San Jacinto Street rights of way; an 80-foot-wide aerial pedestrian walkway with retail shops above and within the Fannin street right of way between Polk and Dallas Streets and an 80-foot-wide aerial pedestrian walkway with retail shops above and within the San Jacinto street right of way between Polk and Dallas Streets, an 80-foot aerial pedestrian walkway above and within the Polk Street right of way between Main and Fannin Streets, six sets of stairs to access various building entrances within and along the Dallas Street right of way, one set located between Main and Fannin Streets, two sets located between Fannin and San Jacinto Streets, and three sets located between San Jacinto and Caroline Streets; four sets of stairs to access various building entrances located within and along the Polk Street right of way, three sets located between Fannin and San Jacinto Streets and one set located between San Jacinto and Caroline Streets; and two sets of stairs to access various building entrances within and along the Caroline Street right of way, located between Polk and Dallas Streets."

Seems logical that the one-week hold at City Council may have led to a delay in ground-breaking.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Back in the real world, this project is complex and complex efforts take time and patience.

There are so many factors involved:

Public and private financing-already secured.

Remediation-almost complete.

Permits-already secured.

Just because there are still parked cars on portions of the site only means the leasees are going to milk every last cent of income until the time comes for them to move out.

Any time the city (government of any kind) is involved, you know the process will move like a herd of turtles. HP is going to be built and we are going to be extremely proud of the Pavilions. The park will be finished and One Park Tower will rise. In three years we'll be a changed downtown. These things cannot happen overnight. A lot of money is involved along with tax ramifications with the city. I believe HP is moving along as Houston19514 reports (thanks by the way). B)

Now when 2/5 rolls around and nothin' happens, watch all the dopes who don't know this project's dead say "Awww man, well don't worry its still gonna happen" :rolleyes:

Hey 77017: Do you have any theories about why a dead project would be seeking construction permits from the city? (and, ironically, being granted those permits on the very day you made the quoted post...) Maybe you should take your own advice and "read more, post less".

I guess the developer, the city council, the general contractor, and the architecture firm are also among those who are "dopes who don't know this project's dead". Not to mention House of Blues, Lawry's The Prime Rib, Lucky Strike, etc etc.

Hey 77017: Do you have any theories about why a dead project would be seeking construction permits from the city? (and, ironically, being granted those permits on the very day you made the quoted post...) Maybe you should take your own advice and "read more, post less".

I guess the developer, the city council, the general contractor, and the architecture firm are also among those who are "dopes who don't know this project's dead". Not to mention House of Blues, Lawry's The Prime Rib, Lucky Strike, etc etc.

Then what? :rolleyes:

Edited by 77017

Got an e-mail back from a rep of HP this evening. It stated that the HP will break ground on 02-05-07 and will be completed in time for the holiday season of '08 (approx. Oct.) Seriously this project is a go! When you are dealing with 200 million dollars every detail needs to be completed before any construction will start. Why are so many here still crying and focusing on the Shamrock? Their has been dozens of impressive projects completed and started since Shamrock was announced.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I have no idea what point you were trying to make by re-posting Ethanra's post about the 2-5-2007 groundbreaking. But if you read carefully (read more, post less), you will see it fits in with the reality of a live project very logically. Ethanra allegedly got that e-mail from the HP rep on January 23, when they surely expected to receive their construction permits from City Council at the scheduled meeting the next day. But the next day, two councilors put a hold on the permits, delaying the approval until January 31, logically also delaying ground-breaking.

Again I ask, any theories why a "dead" project would go through the hassle and expense of seeking construction permits?

Good news abounds. I'm just curious why it isn't on HP's website...

Even more curious... the crack real estate reporters in Houston are apparently clueless about it (or don't consider it newsworthy that a project of this scale and importance for downtown Houson has received building permits). Sheesh.

Edited by Houston19514

:o

and yet your response to good factual information proving the project is alive and well is, shall we say, less than gleeful... Go figure.

(and BTW, I'm still waiting to hear your theory on why a dead project is getting building permits... Jmancuso, Tierwestah, feel free to jump in with your theories as well...)

Edited by Houston19514

so now someone just needs to give the HP website editor a little nudge (and maybe the press?)

They're aware. But the press has better things to do than run articles about permits being pulled. To most people, that is boring. Rather than rehash the same details twice over within a week or so, they'll just cover groundbreaking when it happens.

They're aware. But the press has better things to do than run articles about permits being pulled. To most people, that is boring. Rather than rehash the same details twice over within a week or so, they'll just cover groundbreaking when it happens.

LOL Yes, the real estate "reporters" are too busy pulling press releases off the fax machine (or opening their e-mails) to be bothered with anything so mundane as "pulling permits" (or in this case, reading city council agendas and minutes). God forbid they actually do some actual news gathering. "Most" people may not be interested in the development of Houston Pavilions, but I'll bet that most people who follow development and real estate matters, and most people who bother reading the Chron's real estate columns, would indeed be very interested to learn that building permits have been issued. No exhaustive details are really necessary to get that news out.

"Most" people may not be interested in the development of Houston Pavilions, but I'll bet that most people who follow development and real estate matters, and most people who bother reading the Chron's real estate columns, would indeed be very interested to learn that building permits have been issued. No exhaustive details are really necessary to get that news out.

according to the council minutes the item was tagged last week, therefore no permits have been issued. something of this magnitude just takes time. maybe it will be on the agenda this week.

Edited by musicman

according to the council minutes the item was tagged last week, therefore no permits have been issued. something of this magnitude just takes time. maybe it will be on the agenda this week.

Try to keep up ;-) The item was tagged at the January 24 meeing, passed at the January 31 meeting. (Sevfiv's link above was to the January 31 AGENDA, not the minutes. ) Had it been tagged at last week's meeting, it would appear on this week's agenda. I can't find it there.

See also Guidry News. Apparently Guidry News had a reporter at the meeting. Can you imagine?

Edited by Houston19514

On the one hand, because DT redevelopment is such an exciting, desired and anticipated phenomena to those who post here, I can understand the heartache and palpitations over the delay.

On the other hand... calm down. Other than a couple of delayed ground breakings, there's not much evidence to suggest this project isn't real and in the hand of professionals.

The Pavillions in Denver took time to get moving, too.

Take a breath and enjoy the sunshine. If you really want to feel better, go to the three block site this afternoon and just stand there imagining it five years from now. :)