GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

The Virgin store would be cool...the rest however are unoriginal. We need some original, unique projects.

I disagree. Sure, the brand names are already in other Houston malls/areas, but can't you imagine a two-story Sam's Boat, D&B, or Rainforest Cafe in an urbanized style downtown? The same store you would expect, in a design you can't find anywhere else. Plus with a Sam's Boat, we may be able to watch live bands nightly with an indoor/outdoor facility, and still have the House of Blues in the same complex for more entertainment.

1. I can't wait for the street level retail! I love hanging out in Downtown, but I have always wanted it to be as high paced as a northern city's CBD.

2. Yet another school zoning post (this applies to the entire Pavilion condo complex, provided zoning doesn't change)

Houston ISD:

* Gregory-Lincoln Education Center (K-8 campus, but the Houston Pavillions is zoned for K-5 only!) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/GregoryLincoln/

* E.O. Smith Education Center (1-8 campus, but Houston Pavillions is zoned for 6-8 only!) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/smithms/

* Davis High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/DavisHS/

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Gregor...onCenter_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Smith_EO_1thru8.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Davis_HS.pdf

I disagree. Sure, the brand names are already in other Houston malls/areas, but can't you imagine a two-story Sam's Boat, D&B, or Rainforest Cafe in an urbanized style downtown? The same store you would expect, in a design you can't find anywhere else. Plus with a Sam's Boat, we may be able to watch live bands nightly with an indoor/outdoor facility, and still have the House of Blues in the same complex for more entertainment.

when i was in my 20's it was ok..but sam's boat sucks now. I"d prefer something classier than that. depends what type of people it is trying to attract. with stuff like that in there, families might not find it as friendly. we need to attract as many people as we can.

Edited by musicman

1. I can't wait for the street level retail! I love hanging out in Downtown, but I have always wanted it to be as high paced as a northern city's CBD.

2. Yet another school zoning post (this applies to the entire Pavilion condo complex, provided zoning doesn't change)

Houston ISD:

* Gregory-Lincoln Education Center (K-8 campus, but the Houston Pavillions is zoned for K-5 only!) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/GregoryLincoln/

* E.O. Smith Education Center (1-8 campus, but Houston Pavillions is zoned for 6-8 only!) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/smithms/

* Davis High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/DavisHS/

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Gregor...onCenter_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Smith_EO_1thru8.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Davis_HS.pdf

No offense, but can we give it a rest with the school zoning in every single post? I don't think this is anyone's number one concern with this project...

when i was in my 20's it was ok..but sam's boat sucks now. I"d prefer something classier than that. depends what type of people it is trying to attract. with stuff like that in there, families might not find it as friendly. we need to attract as many people as we can.

I think families would still be attracted to Houston Pavillions if it had a Sam's Boat. In fact, I went to the Sam's Boat at the Fountains a few weeks ago and saw parents bringing their kids there to eat.

I don't think a Sam's Boat in Pavillions would push families away from the three blocks. And having a Sam's Boat there doesn't mean other businesses can't reside there too. Remember that House of Blues will be on one corner of Pavillions, and there's two other blocks of Pavillions that could also have live entertainment involved.

I think families would still be attracted to Houston Pavillions if it had a Sam's Boat. In fact, I went to the Sam's Boat at the Fountains a few weeks ago and saw parents bringing their kids there to eat.

I don't think a Sam's Boat in Pavillions would push families away from the three blocks. And having a Sam's Boat there doesn't mean other businesses can't reside there too. Remember that House of Blues will be on one corner of Pavillions, and there's two other blocks of Pavillions that could also have live entertainment involved.

sam's boat probably morphed into something more family friendly. when i used to go, it definitely wasn't.

No offense, but can we give it a rest with the school zoning in every single post? I don't think this is anyone's number one concern with this project...

LOL..i agree it was funny the first 10 times but then it becomes ridiculous. I PM'd him the same question but he didn't get the hint. He's a high school student and doesn't realize that when the post is about chili's that noone cares where it's zoned too.

Edited by musicman

sam's boat probably morphed into something more family friendly. when i used to go, it definitely wasn't.

LOL..i agree it was funny the first 10 times but then it becomes ridiculous. I PM'd him the same question but he didn't get the hint. He's a high school student and doesn't realize that when the post is about chili's that noone cares where it's zoned too.

well, i am hopefull, that they will take into consideration as far as locations go for businesses that deal with different party demographics.

By the way, I never posted school zoning about any "chili's " - This complex has condominiums, people! People live in condominiums! Therefore a condominium is zoned somewhere. If this did not have condominiums, it *would* be dumb.

By the way, I never posted school zoning about any "chili's " - This complex has condominiums, people! People live in condominiums! Therefore a condominium is zoned somewhere. If this did not have condominiums, it *would* be dumb.

VicMan, the day you stop posting school zoning, is the day I leave HAIF forever! :)

As for the commercial aspect of the towers - I wonder if it will attract mostly chain venues or mostly local businesses. IMO, the towers ought to attract a mix of both to cater to various crowds.

Are you talking about the office tower, or the condo towers ? It is my understanding that there will be one office building in the middle of 2 condo/apt. towers.

I agree. I've always said that about commercial revitalization concerning retail downtown. Given the market and the preponderance of the type of people who are downtown at present, a good mix of both the traditional chain and the original concept would probably be a good starting point. Name recognition is important with certain consumers, be it for good or bad. Once that crowd begins to permeate and congregate, they'll eventually expand their interests to the non-traditional outlets and "spread the word" so to speak.

Even so, the longterm success of HP will greatly depend on DT's ability to attract a critical mass of residents, who will make the area more of a neighborhood, just as the people who live in Uptown, Montrose, Rice Village, Upper Kirby, et all have made those areas all encompassing neighborhoods.

Even so, the longterm success of HP will greatly depend on DT's ability to attract a critical mass of residents, who will make the area more of a neighborhood, just as the people who live in Uptown, Montrose, Rice Village, Upper Kirby, et all have made those areas all encompassing neighborhoods.

I agree with you about the need for chains and securing tenants with name recognition would benefit the entire area. It is so weird to me that in driving down Main how few chains are existing.

I think H. Pavillions will be able to succeed even without more residents coming to the area and in fact will draw more people to live there by just being built to a certain extent because of a couple of things it has going for it. Timing: Light rail is done downtown, and the rest of the city is freaking out(unnecessarily) about it. I think the nationals haven't really been courted to come downtown to a certain extent until HP came along. The city groups I think push tenants to H. Pavilions because they feel like to a certain extent it is their best bet in getting securing new bus. for downtown, but I personally think H. Pavilions actually sells itself in reality. Anyway, I think that the city groups see H.Pavilions as a great vehicle to increase attendance to G.R. Brown by being able to couple the amenities of G.R.B and the proximity of H. P. to hotels,etc. It should get a considerable amount of business from the app. 1 million conventioneers frequenting GRB. Additionally, House of Blues I believe will have live entertainment 270+ days out of the year, along with Toyota center also having 270+ events per year drawing crowds. On top of that HP brings businesses to the area that people are used to having to drive back home to find. Last it will have 2 condo/apt. buildings giving it a built in residential component. I don't see how such a well thought out project with such support wouldn't be able to make it.

jUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE:

I just recvd an e-mail response from Mr. Denton himself

He stated construction will begin this Fall, probably around the end of October. The delay was with the residential towers, which he stated was too complicated to go into. The Towers are back in the project and will be apartments for rent. Different than Denver which is all retail, Houston will be bigger (over 3 city blocks), and have retail, office and residential. Also Stated It will be completed in Fall 2008.

Edited by C2H

jUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE:

He stated construction will begin this Fall, probably around the end of October. The delay was with the residential towers, which he stated was too complicated to go into. The Towers are back in the project and will be apartments for rent. Different than Denver which is all retail, Houston will be bigger (over 3 city blocks), and have retail, office and residential. Also Stated It will be completed in Fall 2008.

Can you post the e-mail verbatim?

Can you post the e-mail verbatim?

You got it. I even posted my e-mail i sent to him but i replaced my name with my HAIF name.

Hello Mr. Denton,

My name is C2H. I am soon to be a resident of Houston, TX. I am moving to Houston from Colorado Springs, CO. I often visit Denver Colorado and always enjoy a visit to 16th Street mall and the Denver Pavilions that sits amidst it all. I happened to come across your website about the proposed location for Houston. I am really excited to see this opportunity and think it will be very great for Houston. I am just wondering if there is a timeline for when construction is supposed to begin. My understanding, it was originally set for May of this year but has been delayed. I'm just curious because i became very excited for downtown Houston when i read about it . I witnessed first hand on the success of the project in Denver. I would appreciate any kind of response if you can get a free moment. Thank you.

Sincerely

C2H

Now here's his reply
C2H

Your e-mail went into my spam folder, and I just happen to check it. We will begin construction this Fall, probably around the end of October. The delay was with the residential towers, which is too complicated to go into. The Towers are back in the project and will be apartments for rent. Different than Denver which is all retail, Houston will be bigger (over 3 city blocks), and have retail, office and residential.

Thanks for your interest in Houston Pavilions. It will be completed in Fall 2008.

William E. Denton, President.

Entertainment Development Group, Inc.

29229 Canwood St., Ste. 107

Agoura Hills, CA 91301

(818) 991-2964

Edited by C2H

jUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE:

So, when is the HAIF ground breaking? :ph34r:

What is Denton's e-mail address? I would like to contact him :)

Here it is wededg@aol.com. It was originally on the HP site but I think he might of removed it becuase too many people were bugging him.

I'm still waiting on our ussual nay sayers to post their usual nay sayer remarks "sure it got moved back....cuz it's not going to be built....I'm always right...blah blah...."

Then people like me to say something like "these projects take time.....there is a lot involved.....the project is still a GO" until this thing gets built or is officially killed off.

Thanks for the update C2H.

As for the HAIF groundbreaking, whose that person that plans the HAIF get togethers? Get him/her to work their majic ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I know that deals are complicated and take time and money. But I'm getting a bad feeling about this project. It's been very quiet... My prediction: a project will happen but they're going to scale the scope of the project back to something more manageable (i.e., no residential component). :(

I told y'all what's going to happen. I'm not being negative. I'm being real. The earlist groundbreaking you might see is probably November, if not, 1st quarter 07.

Wow, semipro! Your prediction is pretty impressive, especially considering that in post #1357, the developer's email said construction would probably start at the end of October.

:o